Got a question for you guys...

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by kok3n, Aug 5, 2008.

1. kok3n

kok3n New Member

I'm not sure if this is the correct board but I have a question for those FMA practitioners here. I am actually planning to learn this art but the problem is I have a sweaty hand. Will this be a problem? Like will I be having a hard time holding on to the sticks? Are there some FMA practitioners here who also has sweaty hands?

2. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Ayaw kabalaka bay, I myself use to have sweaty hands but it was a psychological thing, cause I was always nervous (to get hit), sakit baya ha!

You will learn to deal with it in time, you will adapt. I am not judging you but it sounds like this is a excuse not to start, Even though you are willing to learn little things like this tend to drag one's spirit. My excuse back then was I was to old to start Filipino martial arts,(even though I really wanted to learn) when my Guro asked me how old I was, he told me I’m still a Baby. Just go and do it bay, I know you will not regret it sweaty hands or not.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I find it's not too bad with the rattan, but you can use sticky tape or talcum powder if it really is an issue! Don't let it stop you from trying the FMAs.

4. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I have fairly sweaty hands and I don't have much of a problem. Occasionally I have to stop and wipe off the stick, but that's rare. If you can add racquetball tape or hockey stick tape to the sticks that should help as well.

5. kok3n

kok3n New Member

Thanks for the replies guys, i really appreciate it.

It's good to know that something can really be done about it, such as some sort of powder or sticky tapes. I really have sweaty hands. Even when I write lengthy articles on a piece of paper, after about 5 minutes my hands will start getting sweaty already.

@Phil Mar Nadela
    If you don't mind me asking bro, how old were you when you started FMA?

Age is also another factor since I'm already 27 and sometimes makes me wonder if it's not yet too late for me to learn the art. These two things are basically the reasons why up until now I still haven't enrolled yet even if I have always loved the art.

But as what you guys advised, this time I won't let those things stop me from learning. I have already called Cacoy Doce Pares and inquired about their rates and schedule. I will also be calling Doce Pares International in Sto. Niño to also inquire then will decide from there. Although Cacoy Doce Pares is just about 10-15 minute drive from my place and Doce Pares International is about 50 - 60 minutes from my place. Does any of you here train from either of those two clubs mentioned?

6. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I have people that didn't start training with me until well into their 50's. You're age won't be a problem at all.

7. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Bay, I am only a year younger than you when I started and that was 3 years ago (I am 28 now). It is never to late, I can't imagine not doing Filipino Martial Arts. It is Big part of my life now.

You are so lucky to live and be near such top notch schools! If i were you I would have been waiting at the door till they open (I know I'm a little obsessed[​IMG]).

8. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

Don't worry about your age. I started Kun Tao and Kali at 48 and that was over 2 years ago. It's never too late to start.

Marty

9. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I have people of all ages training with me. It is never to late. [​IMG]

Plus 27 is bloody young!

10. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I was thinking that myself! Not that I'm much older than that, and I've got at least another 60 years before I'm old :biggrinbo

11. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

hi there I am also having a sweaty hands at 1st its difficult to adjust but if you already adjusted the sweat will just go minimally, if still your having a problem with it try soaking your hand into a basin with 1/4 water with 1spoon full of salt for 30mins. after jsut dry it with a cloth. dont wash with water or else it will sweat again[​IMG]