Good idea or a No no?

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadguY, May 6, 2008.

1. DeadguY

DeadguY New Member

If a student were to learn FMA from one school and then after a few years goes to learn at another FMA school, for no reason other than just wanting to learn new or different techniques.

Would he be frowned upon by his former instructor?

Is this type of thing encouraged or discouraged?

2. kaligirl

kaligirl New Member

I had one instructor who really frowned upon that sort of thing and any of his students who learned from other instructors or other arts had to do it in secret. My new instructor welcomes other arts and believes that you can only benefit from other arts. I guess it depends upon what you are looking for ...what is your goal? Self Defense? Then you will benefit from learning other arts .....take what works for you and discard the rest. If you want to promote the art you are studying then stick with it until you have it mastered before venturing out.

3. kaligirl

kaligirl New Member

One of my good FMA friends always says that he "likes the different flavors of different instructors".

4. geezer

geezer Member

Yeah, it's the same old story. My main instructor didn't mind us checking out other groups as long as we were intelligent enough to come back and realise that his stuff was always the best. And, in my opinion, it usually was. But there is also some other great stuff out there...and there's the problem. For better or worse, my first instructor lives in another state and what I do isn't that important to him...so I'm free to train as I wish.