Going to train in the Philippines

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by sharp141, Aug 13, 2008.

1. sharp141

sharp141 New Member

Hi,

I'm interested in going to the Philippines to train Doce Pares, but unsure how to go about this. I'm looking for a place where i train like a demon non stop, under good quality instructors.

where are the best places to train?
    what would the estimated costs be?
    What's the best times to go.
    Has anyone been to Philipinnes before, what was there experiences? was it worth it?.

Cheers in advance
    from a newbie

2. CincoTeros

CincoTeros New Member

Hi Sharp,
    There is a Doce Pares group headed by Dionisio Canete and a Doce Pares headed by Cacoy Canete in Cebu, PI (a 1 hr plane ride). Information for Dionisio can be found on doceparesinternational.com and for Cacoy its cacoydocepares.com.
    FWIW, there is also a Doce Pares in Laguna (south of Manila). For info on them you may want to contact Abon Baet at garimot.com. Hope this helps...

3. LabanB

LabanB Junior Member

Rp

Hi Sahrp141,

where are the best places to train?<

Depends on what you are looking for. Myself and a student went to train in the RP (Diony Canete lineage) last October and trained under Master Val Pableo, GM Albert Sales and GM Cano Canete.

what would the estimated costs be?<

Depends on who you are training under, where you are training, for how long. Costs vary depending on how well you are known to the instructor too!

What's the best times to go.<

Depends (there's that word again!) on your definition of best? Coolest (Mid-Ocotber to February), hottest (June-August)/cheapest (for flights, which airline are you going with)?

Has anyone been to Philipinnes before, what was there experiences? was it worth it?.<

Was it worth it? HELL YEAH!!!!! I had the best training holiday of my life. Take all the best, friendliest, most easy going people you have ever dealt with, then put them somewhere hot [​IMG] I would fully recommend a trip to the RP. In fact I am in the process of arranging training holidays to Moalboal, Cebu where you would be training with a minimum level of Master within the Doce Pares/San Miguel systems.

Go, its is worth it.

Bill

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Been many many times over the last 20 years and I am sure I will be back many many times again, it's a bit like my second home. From my personal point of veiw I would suggest you go out around late December and through January as this is when you getthe pick of the Masters as not too many people travel there that time of year. Also the whether is a bit cooler, I say cooler but it is still dam hot.

I would also suggest you go for at least a month as some of the hotels have far better deals for 30 days stay which can beleive it or not work out cheeper than staying 2 weeks.

I go to GM Dionisio's HQ in Cebu, not only because it is the HQ, but you get a whole host of Masters and GM's you can train with and their various styles and takes on the FMA and Doce Pares. And your only a short drive from the beach too if you need a bit of time to chill out, mind you I tend to take a few of the Masters down to the beach too to train and I usually arrange a bit of a sight seeing tour for anyone who has not been there before.

For instance I was there last month and got some of my guys a day out to see the Lapu Lapu Statue on Mactan, Fort San Pedro and Mountain Veiw, we did plan to go see Magellans cross but ended up training again. Also we all popped down to Moalboal for a few days with quite a few Masters and had a blast for 4 days, but I would still say stay in Cebu as your choice of instructors is more varied as Moalboal is on the other side of the island and quite a long drive so sort of keeps you away from the heart of things. Good for a few days visit but I tend to steer clear of resorts myself for th best part as I find you get more of an expeariance of the culture by going native.

As for cost, well that all depends if your a member of Doce Pares or not and just how much training you are looking to do (howmany hours etc). It also helps if you can get someone to make the initial contact for you as they are a bit weary of people who just walk off the street as you would expect, and this could mean it may take you longer to get any training arranged, and who you get to train with.

If you give us a better idea of which group you are looking to train with, when and for how long that would make it easier to be more precise.

Hope that helps

Best regards

Pat

5. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

hey bro. pat its confirmed I'am related to the illustrisimo clan the roots of tatang illustrisimo is from bantayan island same with my grandma. try watching my post demo exercise on youtube search el maldito de cebu. I appologize for the reception of the vid I only use cellphone cam.

Best regards
    el maldito de cebu[​IMG]

6. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

So I was not that far from the truth, excellent and I am jealous and pleased to find out you are related to one of the all time greats of the FMA, I was lucky to have met him a few times and yes he certainly is a ledgend of the FMA.

I will watch your clip with interest

Best regards Bro

Pat

7. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

thanx bro. your lucky to meet one of my ancestors. well I guess I'am gona be some body in the future and I hope to meet my ancestors grandsons' already

8. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Living in PI for a while is a hard transition for anyone who was raised in the US or any other more developed countries... So it's not just the school you need to look for but also know how you will survive without the most basic needs that we take for granted here in the US that not is always readily available in PI...

Idk of any schools that I can recommend in PI but I do recommend also having a good time there and enjoying the night-life if you can...

But I would suggest going to Cebu since it is one of the most developed areas in PI and the modern ammenities are there when you need it... Just in case you get a little tired of the not so great conditions... Also it has a lot of FMA schools including Doce Pares...

So my suggestions are:

-Go to Cebu

-They speak English well there so you won't be so lost just in case

-Enjoy the night-life if you can

-Be prepared for the not so developed conditions

-Enjoy the beaches

-Don't just go for training alone but explore the entire area as well

-And have fun:cheers: