GM Yuli Romo - Kampilan Sword

Discussion in 'FMA Videos' started by Bob Hubbard, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

[video=youtube;LCl1T6c8w4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCl1T6c8w4A[/video]

2. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I've never seen the Kampilan used in that manner before. It seemed like there was a great deal of twirling such as you might do with a much smaller blade but that he was having trouble with it due to its weight. I know next to nothing about his system or the Kampilan so I am probably full of hot air. So, in the off chance that I could actually learn something, is that typical of Kampilan use within the system? If so, is it often used similarly in other FMA styles? I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way as it is likely a function of my ignorance more than anything...

Thanks for the info?

3. This will be a fun question to answer without showing you in person :(

I am not sure why you thought GM Yuli had "problems" wielding it????? Maybe you can let me know where on the vid and I'll take a look. Also, if there is any footage of other Masters working the Kampilan that'd be cool to see as well.

This vid has been on youtube for a while. We had the same kind of comments on youtube and I will share one of the replies with you:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we've discussed this before on this forum Jason?

EDIT

Here's the previous thread with 2 more Kampilan vids:

http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.php?7718-GM-Yuli-Romo-with-Kampilan-(videos)

There is a good video there of GM Yuli explaining his Kampilan methodology at a demo in the Philippines.

To re-cap, the movements that GM Yuli is doing with the Kampilan can be applied to knife, blade, stick and empty hand....The "Alive Hand" does 90% of the work in Bahad Zu'bu and the Kampilan training develops excellent use and sensitivity of this. Not to mention the footwork and body positioning.

Something best seen and understood in person perhaps....

I'm not sure what can be learned through type when it comes to things like this unfortunately.

Hope this helps in some small way Jason.

Simon.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  4. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

The blade isn't sharpened the whole length, correct? Had a question on MT about contact with the section immediately above the guard.

5. I have the same blade as used in this demo. The whole length of one side is sharpened.

That's why the live hand is extremely important to manipulate the weapon and stop you losing an arm or hand.:augen22:

Before moving on to the Kampilan we do have a 42" staff (Bio-olisi) which you can learn the same movements with. Of course, you don't have the manipulate it so the live side is towards the opponent and away from your person. It also lacks the handle and weight but the motion is generally the same.

The deftness of touch required to work the live Kampilan really helps when making "kappa" (the landing of the live hand). It also improves the general use of the live hand in stick, knife and empty hand work.

As the you-tube poster commented GM Yuli's expression of the Kampilan is "Unique" (to my knowledge admittedly). As with most things in his system it is the way he links it all together (i.e same motion - many applications) which allow you to see things in a new light. He would probably say "Make Sense!" - meaning each movement must have a purpose.

It was great to hear quite recently that Tuhon Ray Dionaldo has the Kampilan video on his cell phone :)

All the best,

Simon.

6. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

From the thread you linked it appears that you have although I had not asked any questions prior to this. The reason I thought he was "having trouble" (that is not the best way to describe it but it was the first thing that came to mind) was that it seemed like some of the twirling he was attempted required the use of two hands and multiple times ended up with the sword moving in directions that were not in line with the blade angle. For that reason, it just seemed like the movements could have been better suited to a smaller blade with less mass to overcome when changing directions. As I stated, I know next to nothing about your system or the proper implementation of the Kampilan so I am probably way off.

7. No problem.

From my understanding of the Kampilan it is a 2 handed weapon used against multiple opponents so I don't really understand your point about the blade angles.

I would love to see any other vids of Kampilan usage for comparison though if you know of any links?

Thanks.

Simon.

8. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Sorry for not being clear Simon. My point about blade angles is that there are multiple times when the direction of travel of the sword and the direction that the blade of the sword is facing are not the same. If one was to hit an object at that moment it would happen with the flat of the blade rather than the edge. I have very little to compare it to in terms of Kampilan utilization so I could be way off and that may be perfectly normal for the implementation of this particular weapon. Hopefully that clears up my confusion. Cheers!

9. Hi Jason,

Thanks for the explanation.

I guess what we need to remember is that this is just an "Anyo". For more combat applications look at the other video where he's demonstrating the strikes whilst retreating and advancing.

I also have seen GM Yuli use the Kampilan at close-range which is also a sight to behold.

Going back to the orginal video you can see he is gathering momentum with the weapon with his shoulder / spine before launching into the slicing and dicing. This may be where you are talking about "Blade angles". It kinda looks like a helicopter of death :EvilGrin:

It is all a bit subjective as there isn't a lot of historical records and most people wield the Kampilan like Kendo players. Also, some people didn't even notice the hilt of the Kampilan was round the wrong way ;) In Bahad Zu'bu we use the "Crocodile hilt" to move the blade. If it curved downwards rather than upwards (in relation to the tip of the blade) you would not be able to handle the weapon that way.

The point I'm making is that historical verification is difficult but with the example above you can see how GM Yuli applies logic to the weapon use. This is a feature of his weapon use in Bahad Zu'bu. Other examples that spring to mind are the Panabas and Barong sword with scabbard to name a few...

Like I have said before, the benefits of working with the Kampilan apply in other areas such as footwork, body motion and live-hand too.

All of these things take a tremendous amount of skill.