Gina Carano loses to Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos in First Round.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by arnisador, Aug 16, 2009.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Great fight ends as first round horn sounds, Cyborg punches too much

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

It was interesting to see Carano perform when faced with an opponent of similar weight. Carano notoriously has always come into her fights weighing more than what the weight class was supposed to be.

3. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I new this was coming..matter of fact I made some nice coin on it, ( bet 1st round stoppage to the tune of 500 in my pocket! Carano IMHO is a gorgeous woman who used fighting as a spring board to other things, and it worked. Television, Maxim magazine etc...no cutting her for that..she did what she felt was right to better her situation in life. Cyborg on the other hand is a fighter..pure and simple...and in that ring you had better be all fighter. Carano looked tentative and down right scared in there.....she was beaten by a fighter! Cyborg is the real deal.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I didn't watch the fight--was ending it with only one second left reasonable?

5. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Yeah it was reasonable and necessary..she was in the fetile position getting smashed by power shots...no defense at all ( unless you call the dead o'possum technique defense)...as I said she was totally out gunned..she nailed Cyborg a few times but to no avail. Cyborg simply kept coming and coming...Carano on a few occasions even turned her back to get away....it was a beat down IMHO.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

7. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

The fight is on youtube.com, sorry i didn't get the link. Type in Carano vs Cyborg. Carano didn't train for this fight like she should of.

8. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Perhaps but in all honesty I don't think it would have mattered much. Cyborg is the blood and guts fighter here, she lives for it..she trains at Chute Box in Brazil...spars with the guys there..and in that school they are rough and mean..Anderson Silva..The Rua boys...Vanderlei Silva..etc. Carano is a model, a future actress a celebrity...she just happened to use fighting as the platform to launch it..and that's cool by me, more power to her. But when she finally stepped into the ring with a real blood and guts, rockem sockem fighter she got dealt...So many people are quick to jump off that band wagon now...I was never on it...Cyborg yes is a rare breed and so many idiots always say oh shes a dude etc...but guess what..that chick can scrap...like it or not the model got her ass waxed! and what a lovely bum it is....Hollywood will do her right..watch and see....as for Cyborg...who ever comes calling better pack a lunch.. that chick will bring a world of hurt on you real quick, and she digs dishing the pain.

9. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Yes there are many good lookers in the MAs, but few are like you say are real fighters.

10. punisher73

punisher73 Member

So has Santos, in fact in her April 2009 fight there were allegations that her team tried to tamper with the weight scales. The fight was actually called off due to the weight issue and then an agreement made between the two fighters (I can't remember the other woman's name, but she was Asian and looked VERY small compared to Cyborg).

11. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I think Santos is not really well known for coming in over weight. Carano on the other hand is notoriously known for this. Pretty mute issue though as we all saw the result of this particular fight.