Get Any Martial Arts Stuff for Christmas This Year?

Discussion in 'The Den' started by arnisador, Dec 26, 2008.

1. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

That's cool Brian! I have been wanting to for a long time. I used to goof off with it when I was a kid. A friend of mine 's family settled here from eastern KY and the entire family used to throw axes and hatchets all the time. Then another buddy of mine inheritted 150 acres of wooded hills just north of me in Parke County a couple of years ago. So GT and I went up there to check out his new pad and go shooting. Dan was chopping wood for a bond fore when we got there. We then spend as much time learning the finer points of hatchet and ax combat from GT than we did shooting. That was when I found out axes are part of the system too. If GT is here as late November, I am taking him up there to go bow hunting.

2. R. Mike Snow

How far did you throw that one from?

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I can't keep up!

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Hey Mike,

I usually throw at about 12 feet 3 inches to 12 feet 6 inches give or take a bit. Depending on the Tomahawk I have found it best to start throwing around 12 feet and then based on each person's individual attributes to modify from there. Of course if I am throwing faster then I take a foot or so off. [​IMG]

5. R. Mike Snow

That's cool, I hope somehow we can add this to John's P.I.G. and our DTS training camps. But after have such a hard time getting any cutting competition done safely last time, it will be a real task. Jose' was having a cow when the bastons and training knives were sticking in the walls from doing disarms, I can just imagine what his reaction would be if someone misses the target with an ax. : )

6. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Sounds like a good plan for the courtyard John says he is working on.

7. Brian R. VanCise

You know one of the best things I ever did at my Training Hall was to wainscot the walls. That way if a stick, knife goes flying invariably it hits the wood and the marks never show. [​IMG]

8. Brian R. VanCise

However I would never do any ax throwing inside. No walls will stand up to that. [​IMG]

9. R. Mike Snow

The walls aren't even the biggest problem. It was so crowded at John's P.I.G. that there was not even enough room to throw in the courtyard next to the school. Hmmm....maybe Soldier's Field this year. : )

Wainscot is a great idea though. I think I might do that in my garage.

Hey Steve, what's that new Plamenko trainer look like? If Pedakar Mushtaq makes one of his killer handles for it, it'll be a sure hit.

10. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Soldier Field would work if we keep the growth rate!

Plamenko trainer? Not sure which one you're referring too.
    Did just finish this 24" Kalisan for him

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_O9JFwSUAn7U/SU6FNJ_yfpI/AAAAAAAABFo/SsdoZKXq_jE/s1600-h/DSC03609.JPG

[​IMG]

11. R. Mike Snow

Sweet! Is that the wooden trainer below that I could not get my self put down? Still can't get over the Keris you made, close your eyes and you can't tell the difference. Had a great time up there with you guys even though I couldn't walk very well. Can't wait to do it again.

I thought John was going to send you the Plamenko to pattern a trainier from.... The one I am using for me avatar.

12. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Ah, that Plamenko. Yes John mentioned it but he was going to wait until after the new year I beleive. Should be a Fun one to make. I can get some interesting wood for the handle. It will be helpful to have it to work with.

Yes, that's the trainer you tried all finished and the blank I had all finished.
    I'm planning on making you one of the Keris as time goes along btw. I'm working on another one right now with a walnut handle for someone else.
    I have orders from Blackgrave so I fit work in on these as stuff cools and dries.

13. R. Mike Snow

Well Steve,

You and Pendakar Mushtaq win the prize for making trainers that feel 99.9% the same as the actual blade. I am just dy'in to see what Datu Tim's Kampilan trainer feels like too. That thing looked like the real deal too.

It's too bad Bill discontinued his Tortal Talibong Trainer, it was an outstanding piece of artwork. Stephen is lucky to have that, I don't think GT wanted to give it back. : )

Has Pendakar Mushtaq done any cutting with the Kampilan I gave him?

14. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Hey, thanks very much Mike! :bow:I'm not real fast at making them as I do them one at a time totally by hand and test them as I go to make sure the feel is right. If the feel isn't right it's just another pc of metal like a screwdriver. No life in it.

I'll have to ask him about the kampilan. I know he's taking real good care of it. One of the guys who teaches sword at their dojo has a setup for doing test cutting, we'll just have to try it out:eek:ne_samur

I'm actually planning to start on a kampilan trainer too soon as I get a long enough pc of aluminum.

15. TheSilentOne

TheSilentOne New Member

16. sjansen

sjansen New Member

I got a pair of ash escrima sticks from woodall's. My brother in law got them for me and they seem to be pretty nice wood. Although, I haven't put them through the ringer because they look too nice. I made a couple of training daggers for other people.

17. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Clubs are a brilliant tool to improve your FMA. Looks like theirs only go up
    to 2lbs.
    We start out with 5 pounders and my teacher even has one around 65lbs for two hand work.
    For top notch instruction pick up a pair and some DVD's from Scott Sonnon. Pretty much everything he has out is brilliant.
    https://rmaxinternational.3dcartstores.com/
    The RMAX community is real treasure chest of support and information.

18. R. Mike Snow

My favorite is the mace, I was really sore after using Pendakar Mushtaq's for 5 minutes. I climb constantly for work an do pull ups once in a while, but that thing tore me up.

19. TheSilentOne

TheSilentOne New Member

Any good recommendations as far speed training equipment is concerned in empty hands and footwork for fighting ?

20. R. Mike Snow

The Contradas and especially the ranging system of DTS runs even the most fit people into the ground. As well as building the footwork and body mechanics for blade and empty hand techniques. When I am the feeder for the ranging system, my wrist and forarm ache afer a couple of hours. So I tried out the Lameco foram protector and it's great.