Get Any Martial Arts Stuff for Christmas This Year?

Discussion in 'The Den' started by arnisador, Dec 26, 2008.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

None for me this time! I got a nice stand for my plasma TV and lots of shirts. I did get my son (also an arnisador) a folding knife.

2. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

I wish! I got a gym bag though, good for my boxing gloves and gym stuff.

3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I received a Kerambit folding knife and also a Kerambit book. I think it has become almost impossible for people to buy me martial arts related items. I have collected quite a diverse assortment of things through out the years. So I think they tend to want to give me money so that I can buy what I want. [​IMG]

4. yomitche

yomitche New Member

I got a round timer to manage interval training. 2 or 3 min rounds divided by 30 or 60 sec rest periods. Inexpensive gift, but really nice for those of us stuck in the stone age, still trying to glance at the second hand on the clock during intervals on the heavy bag!

Those little things that I will actually use year round, that I'm just not inclined to buy for myself, are the most appreciated!

5. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Sounds cool, is that the same that they use in boxing clubs? Those things are fancy!

6. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

I got a 35lb kettlebell. Since we use them as part of our warmups I guess I can consider it martial arts stuff.

7. yomitche

yomitche New Member

Well, yes, but it's a small stopwatch version of the large timers that have a loud horn.

Kettlebells sound cool!

8. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

My wife ordered me one of GM Bobby Taboada's dvd's but it hasn't got here yet. I did get 'Warrior Arts of The Philippines' book for my b-day last month though.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Trying kettlebells is on my list for the future, along with learning to throw knives! Maybe this year...

10. Brian R. VanCise

Hey Arnisador you will definitely love Kettlebells. They have totally invigorated my weight lifting routine.

Also if you need any help in the knife throwing department let me know. [​IMG]

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I have some throwing knives--I need to make a backyard target. Anyone got a bale of straw for sale?

12. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Not specifically martial arts stuff but I got some workout clothes which I promptly broke in at my friend's school :D

13. yomitche

yomitche New Member

Workout clothes are always a good thing to get!

14. Brian R. VanCise

The best thing you can use is a couple of two by fours in a v pattern with a log attached at the bottom of the v. Hook up an additional two by four and create a lean to with it and then screw it together. You end up with some thing like this and it works absolutely great.

Attached Files:

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

How long will the knives last while being thrown into wood each time?

16. Brian R. VanCise

If they are good quality throwing knives they will last a long, long, long time. [​IMG]

17. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Cool target Brian! I think I'll put a couple of those together. I ordered a bunch of discounted Russian throwing hatchets the day after Christmas. Can't wait till they get here. Got the idea from GT Nene.

The coolest gift I got though was from Keith Wetoskey. A "THUNDERSTICK", it's a 30" x 7/8" aluminum accuracy bat made by Easton. I fell in love with one while I was in Waterloo earlier this year and I couldn't put it down. My hands have always worn out before the rest of my body keeping me from getting a great workout with a metal pipe. But with the grip tape and the end cap to keep my hands from slipping I will be able to practice longer without taking a break.

http://www.aluminumbats.com/eastonthunderstick30inchyouth.aspx

Hope it's not too obvious how much I like it? : )

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Seriously dude, can you throw one together for me? I am so not mechanically inclined. We have some roof and attic stuff to do soon and I can't nail a board down without breaking my thumb...

19. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Yes Bro, I sure can. Why do you think I was going to put a couple of them together. I have plenty of 2 x 4's and 2 x 6's, I just need to cross cut a few pieces off of a log or two. I am sure that I can get it done with in the next week(or less). Then I will use lag screws keep the legs on securely. Plus I will treat them with linseed oil so they will withstand the weather.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  20. Brian R. VanCise

Hey Mike,

I do a lot of tomahawk throwing. You will definitely enjoy it!

Attached Files: