General Ablen???

Discussion in 'Pedoy's Derobio Escrima' started by The Phalanx, May 24, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Hi there, I'm new to FMA Talk and a former Pedoy School of Escrima student under GM Ty Takahashi now with the Dog Brothers Hawai'i Clan under Guru Mike "Dogzilla" Tibbits...

I got a question about General Ablen and Derobio... Did the name Derobio come from General Ablen or GGM Pedoy? And were there any other students of General Ablen who passed on Derobio?

Thank You...

2. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Gen. Ablen taught GGM Pedoy. You should know that history since you trained under GrandMaster Ty. No there are no others that have Derobio. Mahalo for asking. Malama Pono

3. The Phalanx

Actually, the history I learned is what you mentioned... I was curious where the name Derobio came from... Idk if it came from Gen. Ablen or GGM Pedoy...

4. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

5. StixMaster

The name Derobio refers to the horse 's galloping rythm as the hooves strike the ground, thats how the sticks should sound and movement speed of the person striking. Also Gen Ablen was a cavalry officer, I read in an article that mentioned the Pulajans. I hear that sound especially when practicing the basic sinawalli. Master Chief Chris knows the history of Derobio & GGM Pedoy well. Thats why he tells me not to forget to teach the history of this art. Aloha

6. The Phalanx

I know that it means the rhythm of the horse... But none of that really answered my question to who came up with the name Derobio... Wether it came from General Ablen, GGM Pedoy, or the ones who passed on Derobio to General Ablen...

Derobio is considered to be one of the lost arts in FMA... So who originally made Derobio? Were there others before General Ablen's time? General Ablen passed on Derobio to GGM Pedoy... So who passed on Derobio to General Ablen?

7. StixMaster

Gen Ablen gave it the name Derobio, the Pedoy family is the lineage that inherited the art of Derobio from Gen.Ablen to GGM Pedoy - to Batikan E. Pedoy to- GM Ty Takahashi and of course their various students and MasterChief & Chiefs in Derobio eskrima there is no one else, I heard that GGM Pedoy went back to Leyte to see his homeland - no one else has this style, you see 'Stickman' mentioned to me that Gen Ablen was a calvary officer thus deducing that many of the basics are from 'saber' drills consequently Derobio adapted to no longer being in horseback combat to on the ground fighting then Gen Ablen switched from using a 'saber' to 'bolo' machete thats why Akua took GGM Braulio T. Pedoy to Hawaii!! You can practice when you cut 'sugarcane all day' ! Hey this is what I've heard and by the way I grew up in 'sugar towns' in Hawaii the folks I know in Derobio started training in the art from the 60's & 70's while we were going to Aiea and Waipahu highschool. Aloha and Malama pono. Aloha Ke Akua.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  8. The Phalanx

Thank You... I actually ran into GM Ty at Waipahu the other day and asked him the same question as I did here on this forum... General Ablen made the name... But as far as anyone before General Ablen and if there are others that General Ablen passed on Derobio to, there is none on record...