Gave a Modern Arnis Seminar at the College Tonight.

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by arnisador, Apr 29, 2009.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I gave an hour-long Modern Arnis seminar to my college TKD club tonight. I did block-check-counter vs. strikes #1 and 2 with stick, then knife, then empty-hand, emphasizing the similarities. I ended with a brief discussion of how dangerous a knife can really be.

It went over very well! One student was of Filipino descent and desperately wants to learn more. Another confessed afterwards that they just did forms and air-practice at the class and it's robbing his confidence, but seeing my hands-on approach--esp. parrying and checking things to where I wanted them to be--really highlighted what he had been missing. He also was surprised how hard a "slap" could be in block-check-counter.

I had fun!

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Cool! Hopefully you pick up a few students! [​IMG]

3. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

I hosted a full contact stick fighting division at the local regional tournament. Afterwards the TKD club asked me to give a demo at their advanced class. It went over well. Now they are teaching FMA techniques as part of their self defense- go figure.....

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hey, good for them!

5. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

That's awesome Arnisador! I hope you keep teching, you're really great with the stick! I have been trying to talk you into teaching publicly for a few years now. So I am very happy that you finally took the leap!

When I get back from Chicago Tuesday I will get a hold of you for your target and some daga/goluk. I came up here to John's place to meet with my Philippine Silat and Kuntaw friends. Pendakar even flew in to Midway tonight, I haven't seen him since last October. This will be my first practice since my leg surgeries. Hope I will be able to walk when Sunday morning rolls around. It has been a really long time since I have practiced Lankahs, Kudas and Jurus.

See ya soon Bro!

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks! I mentioned you and the grandmaster as local options for those who like this.

Hey, sounds great! I want to finally give this a real try.

Good luck with working out!