Gatherings

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by The Phalanx, Oct 20, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

What are your opinions of the Dog Brothers Gathering of the Pack? Where they fight with practically no rules and very little protective gear...

Is it realistic or unrealistic? Do you think it's practical to be fighting that way?

Do you agree with the rules in a Gathering?

What are your takes?

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

3. The Phalanx

I'd love to fight in a Gathering soon... I'm not in shape to do that yet... Still training... Don't want my first Gathering to be my last... lol

4. yomitche

yomitche New Member

Out of curiosity, what kind of prep work are you doing to get ready for a gathering, Phalanx?

The Dog Brothers work is pretty intriguing and I was just wondering what folks (who do not have regular contact and training time in the area of the main Dog Brothers group) do to get ready and in shape for the event. I assume, because your profile mentions your location as Hawaii, that you might not have regular contact with the main Dog Brothers group.

Either way, there are quite a few different skills called into play at these events, depending on the format of any given fight, for practically anyone to feel completely comfortable without just jumping into it - it seems.

5. The Phalanx

Well, as far as I am concerned, I am a very busy man... I run a business and go to college full time... So far as training for a Gathering is concerned, I don't have the time to train as much as the rest of the guys do... But I do what I can on my own when I am not with them...

But the Hawai'i Clan is runned by Mike Tibbits who is a Dog Brother Elder and original Dog Brother... We may not be in contact with Marc Denny as much but the Hawai'i Clan are great fighters... These are not your regular Joes who train only a few hours a week... These guys are great athletes... And can rain hell in a Gathering... Also because a lot of the guys have Martial Arts in their blood, one of us is also a pro MMA fighter... They have trained in various arts before studying DBMA... So they share their knowledge within the group...

But as for me, I am the greenest of green in DBMA... Imagine someone who plays JV football suddenly training with the New England Patriots... That's what it's like to be me in the Hawai'i Clan... So I'm far from ready to be in a Gathering... I have other things to balance in my life as well, so it will take some time before I can get into the shape these guys are in...

6. Freeform

Freeform New Member

Hey Phalanx,

They are awesome! :D Such an adrenaline rush and a sense of brotherhood!

Realistic compared to what? But if you're looking for somewhere to test your skills in a relatively 'rule free' environment I can't think of many better platforms.

You mean: Be friends at the end of the day!

Hard to disagree with it if you're there in the correct spirit.

My best wishes to Dogzilla and the Hawaii clan :)

Colin 'C-Point Dog' Stewart
    DBMA Group Leader Bristol UK

7. The Phalanx

Don't they do multiple opponents in Gatherings also?

8. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Yes.