Forum description.

Discussion in 'Lightning Scientific Arnis' started by arnisador, Apr 8, 2008.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

We received this suggestion:

The system founded by Grandmaster Benjamin Luna Lema in 1937.Lightning is known for it's powerful and fast use of the stick, often combined with a dagger. An important principle in Lightning is closing in with the opponent and 'blanketing' them with multiple strikes. Grandmaster Lema would say of his fighting strategy, "if he gives me one strike, I give him fifteen. Even if he does not give me one strike,I give him fifteen".

Comments? We definitely need to expand this forum's description!

2. GLENNLOBO

GLENNLOBO New Member

forum description

i think you're right. it does need more. Shaun's description of it being a stick art primarily i think needs including. possibly some detail of the training of Mang Ben, and some of his history, and the organisation being now headed by his daughter (i believe). maybe some inclusion of the role of Elmer Ybanez in LESKAS? some idea of what its main principles are.

3. Batongbuhay

Batongbuhay New Member

cool

shaun and banakun's insights are highly valuable so it would be great to know what theyd like to add

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

We need to keep it relatively short--most of the ones we have are only about three sentences long. What's in red above is a reasonable length, but I'd be leery of making it much longer.

5. Banakun

Banakun New Member

How about this:

A system founded by Grandmaster Benjamin Luna-Lema of Mambusao, Capiz, Panay Island. The system is composed of the techniques, principles and strategies of Tercia, Cadenilla, Serrada and Espada Y Daga styles of FMA. It is known for its powerful, fluid and fast strikes, it's preference for "blind-siding" the opponent as well as its focus on the stick as the weapon of choice.

Guys, feel free to add whatever...

6. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Hey guys.What Banakun has written is to the point,accurate and concise.

I do not know if Batongbuhay wants to add anything,Jon?

Nice idea Glenn about including Ate Patty(Mang Ben's daughter and current head of L.S.A.I. in the Philippines)in the introduction.Is there room?
    Arnisador indicated that it needs to be concise.

7. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Sorry guys.What do you think about keeping Mang Ben's quote in the description?
    I am sure we have all heard Mang Ben say "If he gives me one strike,I give him fifteen"

Perhaps Banakun's text with Mang Ben's quote?

Would this be too long Arnisador?

Batongbuhay anything to add?

What about Nates and Bot?Do they want to add anything?

8. GLENNLOBO

GLENNLOBO New Member

A system founded by Grandmaster Benjamin Luna-Lema of Mambusao, Capiz, Panay Island. The system is composed of the techniques, principles and strategies of Tercia, Cadenilla, Serrada and Espada Y Daga styles of FMA. It is known for its powerful, fluid and fast strikes, it's preference for "blind-siding" the opponent as well as its focus on the stick as the weapon of choice.An important principle in Lightning is closing in with the opponent and 'blanketing' them with multiple strikes. Grandmaster Lema would say of his fighting strategy, "if he gives me one strike, I give him fifteen. Even if he does not give me one strike,I give him fifteen". the system is now headed by Ate Patty-Mang Ben's daughter and current head of L.S.A.I. in the Philippines.

is what i guess we have so far.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It does seem a bit long...though I don't know that it'd be longer than the wordy JKD/Kali description we have now.

How's this:

A system founded by Grandmaster Benjamin Luna-Lema. The system is composed of the Tercia, Cadenilla, Serrada and Espada Y Daga styles. It is known for its powerful, fluid, and fast strikes; its preference for "blind-siding" the opponent; and its focus on the stick. An important principle in Lightning is closing with the opponent and 'blanketing' them with multiple strikes. Grandmaster Lema would say, "If he gives me one strike, I give him fifteen. Even if he does not give me one strike,I give him fifteen." The system is now headed by his daughter Ate Patty.

10. GLENNLOBO

GLENNLOBO New Member

works for me. maybe only to add ......and its focus on the stick and stick and knife.. my humble opinion. thanks

ps did notice the lengths of some of the others. why oh why are we being so put upon that our description is being so shortened. maybe we could shorten the others lol. only kidding

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  11. Batongbuhay

Batongbuhay New Member

its cool butr instead of " ate Patty", make it Patty-Jean Lema Caballero

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yeah, there's no hard-and-fast rule, but some of them are too long and probably need to be shortened!

A system founded by Grandmaster Benjamin Luna-Lema. The system is composed of the Tercia, Cadenilla, Serrada and Espada Y Daga styles. It is known for its powerful, fluid, and fast strikes; its preference for "blind-siding" the opponent; and its focus on the stick and knife. An important principle in Lightning is closing with the opponent and 'blanketing' them with multiple strikes. Grandmaster Lema would say, "If he gives me one strike, I give him fifteen. Even if he does not give me one strike,I give him fifteen." The system is now headed by his daughter Patty-Jean Lema Caballero.

13. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Yeah,it looks great.

Do we have a done deal guys?

14. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Actually ,I have just realized the date Mang Ben founded the system is missing.
    I think it is important to put in 1937 on the first line.

This does give a historical perspective of Lightning that is very important.

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Then we have:

A system founded in 1937 by Grandmaster Benjamin Luna-Lema. The system is composed of the Tercia, Cadenilla, Serrada and Espada Y Daga styles. It is known for its powerful, fluid, and fast strikes; its preference for "blind-siding" the opponent; and its focus on the stick and knife. An important principle in Lightning is closing with the opponent and 'blanketing' them with multiple strikes. Grandmaster Lema would say, "If he gives me one strike, I give him fifteen. Even if he does not give me one strike,I give him fifteen." The system is now headed by his daughter Patty-Jean Lema Caballero.

If it ends up looking too long when I put it in, we can maybe try dropping the quote? Let's see how this fits (I can edit it at any time so if someone still has comments it's no problem to implement them).

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hmmmm, seems to be about the longest one there, maybe tied with the JKD-Kali description...it might be nice to drop a sentence out if possible? Maybe the (second part of the) quote? Or even the "blanketing" sentence that introduces it?

17. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Support and help

Thank you for your help and support Arnisador.It is greatly appreciated.

If it is possible to keep the quote in,please do.

Thanks again.