Forum Description?

Discussion in 'Sikaran' started by Rich Parsons, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Could we have a discussion on what would be a good forum description?

2. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

Sikaran is the art of kicking used by the Fillipino warriors

for discussion I would suggest:

1. main organizations

2. The various kicks

3. The forms of Sikaran

4. aspects of non Fillipino origin that are seen today in Sikaran

3. Sheldon Bedell

under organizations I know of about 3 major systems that Sikaran is the main ingredant and a few smaller ones. they are:

World Sikaran Arnis Brotherhood of the Philippines, Founder Militon C. Geronimo

International; Brotherhood of Sikaran Founder Louis T. Lagarejos

Global Sikaran Federation founder Osias C. Banaag

I would like to see a good history of each of these organizations and a history of their founders

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  4. Sheldon Bedell

Sikaran came from the root word "sikad" which means kick. Hence Sikaran utilizes the legs more than the hands. However in today’s world the hands have come into play in many Sikaran organizations more so than in the past.

Sikaran has a history of being used as a sport between villagers and I am sure that finding an exact place of it's origin would be impossible because of the fact that it was used in so many locations. Each organization may be able to trace their origin back to a certain village or island but as with many things in the islands finding a true beginning of a technique would be hard.

5. Ray_Cole

Ray_Cole New Member

That's very interesting. Sikaran is a major sub-system of the FCS family. We impliment elements of Sikaran into our Mano Mano as well as other areas, mostly Lakad (walking) Sikaran which consist of low-line attacks to the knees and ankles. We display Lakad Sikaran in our Mano Mano form. I'm interested in seeing some of the pure forms of Sikaran. I would really like to learn more of the origin of the art.

6. Sheldon Bedell

Being as kicking and the use of the feet has more than likely been around sence man first grappled and fought it is extreemly hard to say that any one technique was developed by anyone. We all can make claims but human kind has been kicking for a long time.

I'll be glad when members of the different sikaran groups start to post.
    I have sent out invatations to individuals in each group that I know of and have even recieved a phone call from one of the Grandmasters but no one has yet started posting. Heck most have not even returned a email to say hello

7. Far Walkers Moon

Far Walkers Moon New Member

It would truly be a shame if the different organizations failed to join and have a say in "what is Sikaran".
    I for one would hate to see the history of these organizations be kept "secrete" and hidden from the world.
    I'm sure each of them has some interesting history

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The description still seems a bit long to me, expecially compared to other fora here.

9. Sheldon Bedell

Sikaran Much of the original history of this art is lost. It originated in the rural farming province of Baras, Rizal in the Philippines.. Its signature move is a reverse spinning roundhouse kick called "biakid" wherein the attacker's heel connects to the back of the head or neck of the defender. . The hands are used to block and parry and there are some hand strikes used only by Sikaran practitioners. These techniques include pangahilos (paralysing blocks, strikes, and kicks) followed by pamatory (potentially fatal blows).

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I like that better. The current just seems out of place compared to the other descriptions here.

11. Sheldon Bedell

Ray
    The forms show more high kicks and a lot of hand work, Some are a little flashy ( made to show and learn the kicks rather than being real self defence oreintated) others are down to earth and show much more self defence and fighting techniques. If I can ever get a good veido of one ( or part of one) to a formate that can go over the internet I'll post it.

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've shortened the description based on this discussion.

-Arnisador
    -FMATalk Admin