Forum Description

Discussion in 'Kali Ilustrisimo' started by Rich Parsons, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Could we have a discussion on what would be a good forum description?

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Just some editing of the above:

The late Antonio “Tatang” Ilustrisimo was the founder of the system that bears his name, “Kali Ilustrisimo” (also called “Kalis Ilustrisimo”). He was a colorful figure who was well-known in the Fillipino martial arts.

3. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Tatang was not the founder, perhaps the most infamous. The Ilustrisimo family goes back at least five generations of eskrimadors.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Is it known who founded it? Does it have a well-defined initial date, or was it just an evolving set of techniques for a long time?

5. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Tatang said once in a interview that the art is called Ilustrisimo in honour of his family who originated it. I've never heard of a date or founder but at least five previous generations are known. Many grandmasters in the Philippines say they were trained by Tatangs uncle Melecio and can demonstrate aspects of the Ilustrisimo system.

6. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

While it is true there were generations of Ilustrisimo's, it is also true that the current system of KI that is more widely known, evolved into it's present form because of Tatang's experiences. Sure there may be some similar techniques to that which is still taught in Cebu but from what I understand, they are different. As you know Tatang left as a very young age and therefore what was left behind evolved on its own as did his personal interpretation. In essence he can or is recognized as the founder of Kali(s) Ilustrisimo moreso than the inheritor.

Apparently some Ilustrisimos back in Cebu promote Ginunting Eskrima as per another post. In speaking with several senior disciples they have not heard of it. This is not to say that it does not exist but rather to point out that there potentially exist a different system with same family lineage.

Just my thoughts!

John J

7. Batang Sugbu

Batang Sugbu New Member

As intimated by 64 year-old Lot Villabrille a nephew of GM Floro Villabrille, there are no specific names of a particular style from the Ilustrisimo pedigree, however, he did mention to Dr. Ned Nepangue who visited him in Kinatarcan island, that one of their favorite techniques is the Ginunting (basically double blade/sticks). He was very explicit however, that it's just plain eskrima in Kinatarcan, although there are some, especially the outsiders who mislabel it as Ginunting eskrima, in the same manner that common laymen in Cebu confuse Doce Pares as a generic term for the FMA. Cheers!

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I made slight changes to the description to fix a typo and an awkward phrasing. Is the hypen in Kali-Ilustrisimo desired?

9. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

No. It was never used as far as I know.

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

OK, hyphen removed.