Fort Hood Shooter Discussion.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Crafty Dog, Nov 6, 2009.

1. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Why do I get the feeling that we will never know all the facts nor the entire truth....dubious indeed! Seems like standard fare, feed the people the pop corn version and , shhhh,,,maybe,,,,it will go away.....errrr hmmmmpppf!

2. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

And so it begins. This shooting has caused so much pain. The trickle down effect is more of a landslide. Today one of my closest friends and a private student shocked me by his comments about the Muslim faith and people. His words, I understand are driven by the events that happened at Ft. Hood. But for the life of me it seemed much deeper than that. He literally told me that he believes every Muslim should be killed, woman, children and the old...no matter if they are peaceful or not. The words he used to describe his feelings were packed with such venom and malice that it totally threw me off. I have known this guy for over 10 years, and I never once in all this time heard him utter a single word about anyone or any religion with contempt. Today was a first. We began to speak and I was trying to explain to him that not all Muslims are to blame for this, he didn't want to hear it and his tyrade of explatives towards Muslims increased to the point where his eyes were packed full of rage. I told him "You know I have studied Islam, and I have Muslim friends"..he left me with an ultimatum....IF I WISHED TO REMAIN FRIENDS WITH HIM, AND REMAIN AS HIS DAUGHTERS GODFATHER, I WOULD HAVE TO HAVE NO CONTACT WITH, F***** fill in the blank ...ETC..ETC...BECAUSE HE WOULD HAVE NO FRIEND WHO HAS HIS ENEMIES AS FRIENDS.

I simply turned and walked away...I could see by his actions and reaction to any sort of logical discourse that he simply didn't want to hear and his mind was made up.

Truly sad.....

3. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Sorry to hear about it. I was listening to NPR's coverage of the memorial service at Fort Hood and one of the comments that struck me was how many soldiers are in a state of shock: Fort Hood was a safe haven and to think that one of their own could have done such a thing seems beyond belief. When asked what soldiers will do next, the commentator answered to the effect that "they will just get on with the job - they already have." In time the shock will wear off and they will regain their comfort zone again - but the feelings are still raw. Perhaps you friend will reconsider his words in time, but (as you already know) you cannot do the work for him.

Following is a link to an interview with Imam Yahya Hendi, the Muslim chaplain at the National Naval Medical Center and Georgetown University:

Imam Yahya Hendi link

I quote from the header on the interview URL:

Best,

Steve

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Tampa police: Marine reservist attacked Greek priest he mistook for terrorist

So...if a Christian who hates Muslims beats a Christian because he thinks he's Muslim, has a hate crime occurred?

5. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Apparently not the brightest bulb in the tanning bed:

(note - link may not be Safe For Work - Carol Kaur)
    Jason Bruce link

Thoughtful letters advocating counselling (or at least, advice on how to recognize Orthodox priests) can be sent to the work address provided on the this link.

Best,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
  6. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

This world needs to take one huge toke, on some primo Kush and chill out....I say we throw a Our World is Our Block party...because this crap is just to damn crazy.

7. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Our World is our Block Party

Great advice. I started the day with Toots and the Maytals:

54-46 (That's my Number)
    Pomp and Pride

Happy to gift it to you if you have an iTunes account - just send me a regular email.

Kush is optional...

Best,

Steve

8. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Very cool indeed...I started mine with some old Tina Turner..River Deep Mountain High...

E-Mail Addy on the way....Yah Man
    It always is..LOL..an optional necessity..ya feel me Captain Spalding..;)

9. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Mike, I now know what has been bothering you, I haven't kept up with FMAtalk much lately. We do indeed have a troubled nation here. I do know our counrty and our people (all our people) Black, white, chinese , mexicans,and other wise have long been disliked by the middle east I saw this firsthand while in the service during the mid 70's. We were training sailors from Iran at the time and for no known reason one of these Iranian guys started a fight with an American sailor walking on the street inside the base. The American sailor did not know the other gentleman or why this happened, I was with some of my buddies behind the Iranians, there were three of them. When this happend, we seperated them and told the American sailor to keep going and we followed behind him. We did not want some kind of international incident. I never heard anything more of this other than the Iranians said something about Disneyland. A year after this I found myself off the coast of Iran, only 2 people were allowed to leave ship, we were there only for a few hours then left for Pakistan. Whatever problems others have with our government, they should realize we want our leaders to do the right things, but this is not what happens. Big business like the oil companies do not represent the US or its people. So how then does another group of people live in peace with us? We elect our servants in government but are misled, what can we do? As i said before, peace comes from inside of us, we, each indivdual must want to live in peace before it can be accomplished for all. I know what you might be thinking about the actions of just one or two cant be what the entire group will do or think. After getting out of the Navy, The American embassy was taken over, I was in Houston working at what I used to do, I heard it first on the radio, then I went to the Iranian embassy and saw the huge crowd gather there, unlike the Iranians the people didnt take control of the building they just shouted and made makeshift signs on the spot. I guess like what was said before about being or choosing to be civil is what the people were, angry yes, throwing bottles of gas, no. So can anyone tell me why we are hated so much? or is it my imagination of this hatered for our nation of people. Brother, be at peace and do not let this trouble you so, I do not think anyone hates you for your faith. I am sorry to hear about this other person, i know others like that but they say it(getting rid of all) because of the book by Sun Tzu, The Art of War. Forgive me for my ramblings, If you want come out for a drive and visit us in New Bruanfels, you are always welcome, or give me a call.

10. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

More on Jihadi Maj. Hasan:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ihGepAkECGoDagETVBMpPb3w7Y3gD9BUULE80

Lawmaker: Hasan had communications with Pakistan
    By ANGELA K. BROWN and SUZANNE GAMBOA (AP) - 58 minutes ago

FORT HOOD, Texas - The Army psychiatrist charged with killing 13 people in a
    shooting spree at Fort Hood made or accepted wire transfers with Pakistan, a
    country wracked by Muslim extremist violence, a Republican congressman said
    Friday.

Texas Rep. Michael McCaul, the ranking GOP member of the House Homeland
    Security Intelligence Subcommittee, said people outside the intelligence
    community with direct knowledge of the transfers also told him Maj. Nidal
    Malik Hasan also had communications with Pakistan.

"He may have friends or relatives or whatever and this could be totally
    (innocent)," McCaul said in a telephone interview. "But if he is wiring
    money to Pakistan, that could be terrorist financing. If he was receiving
    money from Pakistan, that is more significant."

McCaul said he does not know the direction of the transfers and
    communications, only that they passed between Hasan and Pakistan. He said
    the lack of additional information is why Congress should launch an
    investigation.

Hasan, 39, was charged Thursday with 13 counts of premeditated murder in a
    military court, and Army investigators have said he is the only suspect in
    the case and could face additional charges. His attorney, John Galligan, has
    said prosecutors have not yet told him whether they plan to seek the death
    penalty.

A pair of civilian police officers responding to last week's attack, in
    which 43 people were also injured, including 34 with gunshot wounds, shot
    Hasan four times. Recovering in the intensive care unit at San Antonio's
    Brooke Army Medical Center, Hasan has told his attorney he has no feeling in
    his legs and extreme pain in his hands.

Galligan said doctors have told Hasan he may be permanently paralyzed from
    the waist down. He called his client's medical condition "extremely serious"
    and said Hasan didn't flinch when Galligan touched his leg during a meeting
    Thursday, when one of Hasan's relatives was able to see him for the first
    time since he was hospitalized.

Hospital spokesman Dewey Mitchell said he could not confirm whether Hasan
    was paralyzed, since Hasan has directed hospital officials not to release
    any information about his condition or injuries.

The question of how Hasan spent his Army salary stems from the apparently
    frugal lifestyle he lived both in the small city of Killeen, Texas, outside
    of Fort Hood, and in the Washington, D.C., suburbs when stationed at Walter
    Reed Army Medical Center. In Texas, he lived in a rundown apartment that
    cost $350 a month and drove a 2006 Honda.

As an Army major with more than 12 years of service, Hasan earns just over
    $92,000 a year in basic pay and housing and food allowances, according to
    pay tables from the Defense Finance and Accounting Service. Hasan's gross
    monthly salary is $6,325.50 a month, or $75,906 annually. He also gets
    $1,128 a month for a housing allowance and $223 a month for meals, which
    adds up to another $16,212 a year.

Military psychiatrists may also receive as much as $20,000 a year in
    incentive pay, according to the tables. But to get the bonus, they must meet
    certain requirements, such as agreeing to remain on active duty for at least
    one year after accepting the award. Hasan's Army records are sealed due to
    the ongoing investigation, and it isn't clear if he was eligible for the
    bonus or agreed to the conditions.

President Barack Obama has ordered a review of all intelligence related to
    Hasan and whether the information was properly shared and acted upon within
    government agencies. Several members of Congress, particularly Michigan Rep.
    Peter Hoekstra, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, have
    also called for a full examination of what agencies knew about Hasan's
    contacts with a radical Muslim cleric in Yemen and others of concern to the
    U.S.

Hoekstra confirmed this week that government officials knew about 10 to 20
    e-mails between Hasan and the radical imam, beginning in December 2008.

A joint terrorism task force overseen by the FBI learned late last year of
    Hasan's repeated contact with the cleric, who encouraged Muslims to kill
    U.S. troops in Iraq. The FBI said the task force did not refer early
    information about Hasan to superiors because it concluded he wasn't linked
    to terrorism.

Gamboa reportered from Washington. Associated Press writer Richard Lardner
    in Washington contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

============

PS: For those who count the unborn as living, the number killed is 14.

11. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

BTW, speaking of taking "one big toke" PGM, the word "assassin" derives from an Islamic cult many years ago that used "hashish" as part of its rituals-- so maybe the solution lies elsewhere. :)

12. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

That's actually not true... One of the first uses of the term is in the book "Hidayat al-Amiriyya" and is given without explanation. If one studies the Nizari Ismai'ilis you can see that that story is just a tale that over time has taken on the idea of truth... But there is no evidence at all that what you stated is true...

-wes tasker

13. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Hmmm, , , you may be right:
    ========

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=assassin

assassin
    1530s (in Anglo-L. from mid-13c.), via Fr. and It., from Arabic hashishiyyin "hashish-users," pl. of hashishiyy, from hashish (q.v.). A fanatical Ismaili Muslim sect of the time of the Crusades, under leadership of the "Old Man of the Mountains" (translates Arabic shaik-al-jibal, name applied to Hasan ibu-al-Sabbah), with a reputation for murdering opposing leaders after intoxicating themselves by eating hashish. The pl. suffix -in was mistaken in Europe for part of the word (cf. Bedouin).
    =========

What a shame-- I was feeling really witty when I posted it.

The Adventure continues!

14. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Well, I guess I shouldn't assume either, because it just puts an assasin between you and me...

Best,

Steve

15. geezer

geezer Member

OK this is the etymology I've heard... so which is right? This version certainly sounds authoritative, but at the same time runs counter to my own experience. I always found stoners (on weed) to be a passive lot. Now booze, on the other hand, that'll rile you up! Of course, alcohol is prohibited in Islam, so that's out. Didn't have PCP back in the Crusades did they? Maybe Jimson Weed? Nasty stuff. Bet that grows in the Middle East too.

16. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Geezer alcohol may be prohibited but that doesn't mean it wasn't consumed. Even to this day you have the daylight Muslims who roam the mosques at day and the bars at night. I am sure it was the same back then as well. Same goes with all religions...moral bactine seems to be the cure of the day in a lot of cases. I know several Muslims when asked "are you Muslim?" they will say "Yes, I was born Muslim, but I don't practice". So in essence there are practicing Muslims and non-practicing Muslims.

Yes we are a passive lot, unless of course the take out is late arriving, then we turn into a maniacal bunch...LOL

Like most tales from the past. who knows what is absolute truth or fiction...seems those two summations ride hand in hand with monotheism as a whole....unless of course golden underwear is more a fit..and that is another bag of halo's all together.

As the great poet/sage.. NATE DOG once said "Hey Hey Hey, Smoke Weed every day" .....(--)

17. TuhonBill

TuhonBill New Member

Radical vs Moderate Islam

I just found out about this discussion, but if I can jump in; here's an article that you may find germane to the subject:

Renouncing Islamism: To the brink and back again A generation of British Islamists have been trained in Afghanistan to fight a global jihad. But now some of those would-be extremists have had a change of heart. Johann Hari finds out what made them give up the fight.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...mism-to-the-brink-and-back-again-1821215.html

In a related vein, I have a chapter of my novel Eretzel that contains a debate between a radical Islamist and a moderate Muslim.

We have a good number of intelligent, well read people on this list. I would welcome your thoughts on this chapter. You can read it among the samples on my writing website here:
    http://www.theswordoffire.com/ERETZEL13.htm

Please keep in mind while reading that this is a fantasy novel in which many modern names have been changed to keep in the fantasy theme.

Regards,
    Tuhon Bill McGrath

18. pguinto

pguinto New Member

ETYMOLOGY OF ASSASSIN

"...It is said that the word assassin comes from the Arabic word haschishin for hashish user. But Hassan and his followers didn't speak Arabic; they were Persians. Assassin comes from Hassassin -- a follower of Hassan. Hassan, in fact, was a hashish prohibitionist. He argued that the Koran's ban on alcohol was a ban on all intoxicants, so his assassins were drug free terrorists...."

19. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

That definition also misses the idea that there are several theories as to "where" the word comes from, and "who" used it. I was basing my post on the information in five books - two in English, two in Modern Arabic, and one in al-Fusha, or classical Arabic...

Call me crazy, but I still consider books (from many sources, languages, and viewpoints....) much better than the internet. Plus I'm married to a Librarian so the very mention of Wikipedia is barred from my household :).

-wes tasker