Force Recon Ginuntings

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by Shonin, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

Did you say "simply fabulous"...?
    :whip:

2. Malapitan

Malapitan New Member

Just sent you email and read your PM. :)

3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I guess I did! [​IMG] It is a great blade simply put! Functional, effective and efficient at what it does. [​IMG]

4. mabagani

mabagani Pendato

The company in the Philippines, Typhoon, does an excellent job of blending modern material and production with traditional blade forms. Its not always the case with all modern makers that claim tradition but instead produce fantasy replicas, modern doesn't always equal better or traditional.
    Maybe all besides the point comparing apples to oranges, and mixing objective and subjective opinions. Old native fighting swords were mostly custom made to individual specifications and varied in degree of quality and material, forged damascus - soft core, hard edge...basically to give blades flexibility and durability in battle, and depending on the culture, swords could have mystical aspects as part of their process, old world knowledge.
    The contrary can also be said that old swords from the Philippines seem like magic. lolz

5. Brian R. VanCise

Well my property needed some work today over by the driveway. The tree vines, etc. were encroaching so I took out the force recon ginunting and went to work. I must say that it was very, very short work as this ginunting really clears bush away effectively! [​IMG] Just what you would want from any field instrument!

6. 99medic

99medic Junior Member

Anybody know what happened to their website? Are they still selling their blades?

7. Brian R. VanCise

Yes they are. The website host moved and since then they have had a hard time getting the site back up. See here.

8. davidtorez

davidtorez New Member

Hey Brian,

How does the Typhoon ginunting compare to the TFW ginunting you have? In terms of cutting power, sharpness, durability and handling?

Have a good one.

David Torez

9. Brian R. VanCise

Hey David,

They both cut very well. For a functional blade it would be hard to choose one over the other. However do to the sheath if I were out in the field I would want the modern version or the Typhoon Gear ginunting. Still they are both excellent blades.

10. jezah81

jezah81 Member

Hi Dave,

I have the new version of the TFW ginunting, and all i can say is they handle superbly, and are amazingly sharp. Excellent craftsmenship, quality materials, Daniel Forondo really knows his stuff, as he is also a Pekiti Tirsia instructor himself.

Kind regards,

Jeremy Hagop

11. 99medic

99medic Junior Member

Thanks for the info.