Force Recon Ginuntings

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by Shonin, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Would you mind sharing where the information on the TFW site comes from?

Does this mean your open to the members of FMAtalk sharing inaccuracies on the written content or sandata on your site?
    I like it when people show an interest in our history and culture, but when its being put out to the public I would rather if the history and culture is accurate.

I don't think this is an issue of rave reviews from happy customers, the quality of the steel, the ability to sever a deers head or anything of the sort. If people buy from TFW and it makes them happy, good for them.

I think this is more a simple matter of, is the information on the TFW site inaccurate? And is the sandata actually traditionally made?

Regardless of the awnser it shouldn't change whether or not someone is satisfied with your product.

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

No offense taken, but what I'm saying is that we're not going to an online store to research the history of the weapon, we're going there for the product and from what I gather it's pretty top notch stuff which is hard to find as far a Filipino blades go here in the states. I've heard varying histories on swords of other cultures (for that matter if I went to some other online stores and used their history of say, a samurai sword, I'd be waaaaaay off), so why on Earth would I expect there to be a definitive history of the Filipino swords? Especially when there's such a variety.

3. Ron Kosakowski

Ron Kosakowski New Member

Like I said, not everyone can know every detail of every weapon regardless of how long they stidied. The Philippines is a vast area.

You talk about tradition and my steel imported there as being "not traditional." Ok, are all the imported ideas and cultures over the last 1000 years not the tradition of the Philippines. At this point, what is traditional Filipino. To me, the melting pot culture taking the best of what is around the world is the tradition. That is what makes the Philippines outstandingly unique to begin with. where does having high quality steel ruin tradition? They are made the same way I have seen many other blade makers all over the Philippine. Primitive looking machines by US factory standards, no saftey anything. You speak of soething you don't know and you do not know what I have going on in the Philippines. Because of the TFW business, kids are fed, clothed and go to school with the stuff they need.

So, where is what I am doing against what the Philippines stands for? Sounds to me like prejudice over and above anything else to me! [​IMG]

4. Ron Kosakowski

There is nothing inaccurate on my site. There is only a very brief amoutn of info right now just toexplain how it is used today and where it was once used. And that is accurate for what it is. If you have such a good hoplolgy back ground statis, e-mail me the info and i will look into it to see if it is the true facts.

As for where the info will be coming from, we have a university historian professor looking into the site and will be giving us the full info so to have the site that much more informative. But, like even brock says here, it will be argued over because what one person feels is true, another does not. the Spanish have a certain tweek to the history over what the Filipino's have and it seems even that varies on various islands. So I don't see you satisfied unless you yourself writes the historical facts on my weapons.

For some reason, you choose to blow into my site and pick on minor details that I said will be fixed because it is evolving. What do you see that is good about it?

5. mabagani

mabagani Pendato

huh? again you're putting words in my mouth.
    what i wrote was i'd rather buy from local smiths in different regions because its their "traditions" and their livelihoods, not your business' wide interpretations and cornering the market at their expense.
    if I'm going to buy a visayan sword, I'll get it from a visayan source.
    if I'm going to buy a moro sword, I'll get it from a moro source.
    your comment on importing better material was your selling/marketing point to make it out better than the locals.
    i've been out to the blacksmiths in the philippines where they are still using two pandays with hammers pounding swords on an avil set on the ground, another one directing the timing and hits. then they have other craftspersons doing the carving of the hilts and scabbards. i'd still buy from the locals even if they did or didn't put in the hi tech modern material.
    if you're giving back to the communities after profiting from their "traditions", more power to you, first i've heard of it.

now if we are talking about "traditional" designs we could be more specific. you can't tell me your version of a kampilan with a backwards hilt is traditional, then plaster it on the internet and tshirts and not expect to get flack...
    i'm sure we could go down the list with each sword, but like i said if i buy local at least they'd be made by the local traditions.

i think what people are getting at here is- do it right.
    for the filipino members, you're messing with their heritage and i could see why people would get annoyed especially here on a fma forum.
    i look at it as a business, if i don't like it, i'll go elsewhere...
    not particularly prejudice towards you, i prefer "traditional" (regionally specific local made) blades vs replicas where one company would try to do all the designs. you just happen to push your products here often and it gets more exposure, therefore more raves or criticism. up to you whether you take comments constructively...

6. Spunjer

Spunjer New Member

you might not be, but i've been to a few forums, (FMA, sword collectors, knife collectors, history buffs, etc) where they have sited tfw's website regarding filipino weapons. now, this is being perpetuated as the gospel truth by people that doesn't know any better, which, to people that do actual research on these weapons, whether it's purely academic, or respect to the manongs of old, is not helping any.

well that depends, really. if you're a wallhanger collector of anything sharp and shiny, i really don't see the point of you or anyone else expecting to know the definitive history of Filipino swords, but on the other hand, if you're an FMA practitioner, i think it's just common sense to know a little bit more about that sharp piece of metal you're swinging around.

7. Labantayo

Labantayo Junior Member

Can you give me some background on this statement from your Sansibar description?

"The Sansibar was officially born in Leyte in 1881 before Spain sold the Philippines to America through a treaty. "

Do you have a sansibar specimen from that time period? If so, I would love to see a picture of it. Also, if you have a pic of a real "Visayan Barong", I'd love to see that too.

8. Ron Kosakowski

Well you are welcome to buy your swords where ever you want to in the Philippines. It is not going to hurt my business by you buying elsewhere. Mine are made in the Philippines and made with hammer and anvil and hand carved just like your friends. The only difference is the steel. Like i said, the steel is just another evolution in the Philippines.

As for the livelyhood of Pilipinos, I am doing my part in helping out the people i know. When i go there, I spend money elsewhere, I even give money out to the hungry kids ...I have even bought them a meal. And so have friends of mine. I can't save the world but I do the best I can.

Like I said before, you go out of your way to point out the same old thing that you keep putting down about the TFW site. What do you like about it?

9. Ron Kosakowski

Why do I have to have a hundred year old Sansibar in my collection to show you. I don't but I have many others in my collection. I do have an old Visayan Barong though. In fact, Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje mentions in his web site that the Visayan Barong along with the Gununting, the Talibong and the Pinute are weapons used in PTK. Are you doubting the existance of the Visayan Barong?

By the way, I might as well ask you this also...what do YOU like about the TFW site? I ask this because I get visitors of American Filipinos and emails from the Philippines quite a bit from people who like what I am doing. Yet, I get a few here who do not. I do not understand the prejudice here. I am working on keeping a dying culture alive forever if I can help it. Give it time and it will be perfect. Can you be patient and give it time? [​IMG]

Still, I want to know what you like about the site. Sometimes adding positive to the negative helps make me smile![​IMG]

10. Labantayo

Labantayo Junior Member

I, personally, have not seen one that old and was curious. It wasn't an attack, just interested in seeing one that old. Just like the Visayan Barong. I've seen many Visayan swords that look like a Barong, but they weren't called a Barong. They have their own distinct name. Maybe I could have been corrected/educated by seeing a picture of a real Visayan Barong.

11. tanod

tanod New Member

you cant keep a dying culture alive with misinformation, you'll kill it.

12. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

ya' i heard some of it from a specop fren a philnavy frogman. he said the marines where the champions always in the admiral cup in terms of sportsarnis. to answer your quesrtion as a FMA practitioner and in experience. In my day to day life in the province. we use tools that are also used in FMA martial arts. a wooden handle would depend on the tyepe of would, the time the wood is used beacuse wood had expiry time were it just break off and in due time wood is affectd with the rust which makes it more vulnerable. it is better that the handle is made also of metal or alluminum molded. it is jsut based in my experience just giving an opinion.

13. 99medic

99medic Junior Member

Any updates on the web site.

14. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

as Iv'e seen those woods are hard wood but I feel that wood is not durable and will brake in hard cohesion of force they should use metal grips instead for long lasting blades.

15. blindside

blindside student

I wonder why almost every sword bearing culture used wood grips or hilts historically? Maybe those old-timers who relied on their blades to make it through battles actually found that it served its purpose quite well....

16. Malapitan

Malapitan New Member

our website is now online!

http://www.typhoon-gear.com/

All the info on the Force Recon Ginunting is featured, as well as our latest product, a Dahong Palay

17. artvilla2

artvilla2 New Member

ginunting

Hello Buddy,
    Art Here from Florida PTK, saw your website and very interested in getting my hands on those blades. is there anyway I can have my friend purchase them in the Philippines and just bring it back. pare can you PM me your local contact number so I can have my friend reach you. He is currently in Bacolod visting family. are you in Manila or bacolod based.maganda ang gawa, captain Bongalbal was here last November and he did mention something about the Force recon ginuntings. good luck with your venture.
    Im sure this will be a big seller.

Artvilla
    Florida PTK

18. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

Wood, leather and other relatively soft (non-metal) hilt materials absorb vibration, absorb/wick away water/sweat/blood from the users hand, and generally provide a better grip. Those old-timers were pretty clever.

Robert

19. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

Modern materials, especially steel, would likely seem like magic to them. Other than someone stubbornly clinging to tradition, I have a hard time envisioning a warrior voluntarily choosing anything other than the very best materials available to them. Case in point - the Filipino Marines commissioned ginuntings made of modern materials and manufacturing methods.

Robert

20. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I like old blades like everyone. I have a large collection of them and they are beautiful and most of them are functional. Still, I also collect modern blades that are made to the highest standards. Typhoon blades has done that with the Force Recon Ginunting. This blade is simply fabulous, functional and in the hands of a trained FMA deadly. There is room for collecting and preserving blades however if you want a blade to take into the bush you will be hard pressed to find better blades than those being currently produced with the finest steel, grips, etc. Just my O2. as always. [​IMG]