Foot Work: Compare and Contrast?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brian R. VanCise, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Okay this can be the FMA foot work thread where you can compare and contrast how you utilize your systems foot work methods. Do you use triangle footwork or a larger triangle/circular Dekiti style of footwork? Or do you employ something totally different (boxing, V, circular, linear, etc.)

Here are a few questions?

Compare and Contrast Dekiti Tirsia Siradas footwork and how it is different than Pekiti Tirsia.

Compare and Contrast Modern Arnis footwork vs. Balintawak?

Compare and Contrast Inosanto Blend footowrk vs. BaHad Zubu?

Personally I use and have quite a few different footwork techniques and they adapt to the situational need. Nor do I feel that anyone has the perfect footwork or answer but instead have found something that works for them.

I am interested to hear how everyone else categorizes their footwork within their system. [​IMG] Nor do I feel that anyone should feel bad if someone does not like their brand of footwork because everyone will have something that they like and in the end I think we are all more similar than drastically different. [​IMG]

2. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Ahh footwork....the root, where it starts, the big kahuna if you will. In Bahad we use triangles (reverse and forward)..90 degree stepping, rear 45 degree stepping.....single carerra and doble carerra patterns as well as the float. I also incorporate straight in and straight back stepping, arrow or half moon stepping, circle walking, knee walking, step drags, drop stepping, cross stepping, etc etc etc.....it strictly depends upon what you wish to accomplish. It is all movement and IMHO it all works well. I am of the belief that footwork is the key, and to have a few different options to pull from will in the long run make for a deeper understanding of usage.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  3. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Well said, ditto for me

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Michael you and I see things very similarly especially in having different options! [​IMG]

5. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Well great minds do think alike..LOL...or maybe in our case deranged....either way we get it done!

6. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Yes, I do not know about MR. Vancise, but deranged just a little.

7. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

The way I see it, as long as you feet are working in concert with the rest of your body, and getting the job done as efficiently as possible, than it's good. Still, there is more than one way to do any one thing, so even though everybody needs good foundation, it still means different things to various people.
    I also believe that it is good to have options, but the ability to sometimes improvise in accordance with the situation at hand and CREATE movement on the spot might be the key to making it all feel like music - rockin' it out!

8. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

All contrast - no comparison. Balintawak footwork is short, natural -- like boxing but, more narrow. Power is generated almost exactly as it is in boxing - through the feet. There is no V-pattern or triangular footwork, nor any elongated stances. In fact, there aren't any stances, per se.

Robert

9. Twist

Twist Junior Member

I dont think you can simplify like this. Bobby Taboada moves very different from, e.g. Nick Elizar, and they move very different from the students of Joe Go .. but they all do Balintawak ;)

10. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

Sure I can. In fact, I did. I didn't read the OP as requiring a lengthy response.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the footwork of Balintawak v. the footwork of Modern Arnis...?

Robert

11. Twist

Twist Junior Member

No reason to get touchy..

You say there are no stances, no triangular footwork, ... per se.

Well, then I say thats not true. (And I say that even though so far I've seen only a few of the first generation Balintawak guys... but allready I've seen enough to say that your statement is wrong.)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  12. chubbybutdangerous

chubbybutdangerous CHUBBY MEMBER

I am interested to hear how everyone else categorizes their footwork within their system. [​IMG] Nor do I feel that anyone should feel bad if someone does not like their brand of footwork because everyone will have something that they like and in the end I think we are all more similar than drastically different. [​IMG]

:bow:Wow, that's hard to categorize. Yeah, I have the classic triangular footwork you see in most fma. I also have alot of boxers footwork. But it all blends together in practical application. For me it really depends on my opponent (his size, stance, how he's attacking and how much force/energy he's using). In the end I guess I go with whatever is easier to transition to at that particular moment, but making also sure that I'm firm and rooted and not off balance.

:kicknuts: Respectfully,
    Chubs

13. geezer

geezer Member

Is it possible that you guys are really saying the same thing in different ways?

I mean, I was just beginning to finally understand some basic footwork problems today, and it occurs to me that a beginner has no footwork...he just hops and jumps around with no balance, expending great effort, accomplishing nothing. Then we learn how to move, when to move and where to move. Training methods vary, but most end up using some of the common patterns, triangles, X-patterns, shuffle-steps, boxer-steps.

Then you watch somebody who really has it down. At that point there are no patterns. Their angles are infinite, effortless and effective. Once again, you could say that they use no footwork. They don't think, they just move. And it works.

14. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Well,
    I do a variation of Balintawak also, yet my footwork is natural, but I do cut the angles of the triangle only not to the extent of some of the other systems that I trained in.. If you worry about how to get from point A to point B in a fight, you will be 3 steps behind the initial attack..

I keep forward pressure on the attacker by going off of their right shoulder (if they are right handed and opposite if they are left) I step through a lot on my initial counter offense as that is how I can put my centerline on the attacker's shoulder as his triangle is turning with the strike and the energy is going that way.. I showed it to John B in chicago and the guys in Michigan when I was stateside..It is more of an explosive advance, yet I still use the 29-31 inch stick and can get in tight with it as I use the punyo in a lot of the counter offenses that I do..

15. Far Walkers Moon

Far Walkers Moon New Member

my footwork depends on what I am trying to accomplish. I may go straight line back or in for an attack or counter then in the next move I may be going in a circular movement or a triangle. I think all angles of footwork are necessary and should be learned and used as the situation warrents

16. Kailat

Kailat KAILAT KOMBATIVES GROUP

Well, the footwork that I use and teach come from a few different sources. Mostly, I use the Triangulo de Ocho pattern. The ( x+ ) pattern that is combined together used mostly in largo or medio range. Alot of the times this one is used w/ more empty hand fighting application mixed w/ boxing footwork.

The common male and female V pattern triangluar footwork which comes out of the triangulo de ocho is used often as well when in corto or medio range. I utilize this one when doing closequarter impact, or edged weapon tactics.

The step/slide, pendulum footwork, shuffle, circular-linear (+) movements enhance a more stressability on multiple attacker situations..this i try to use when keeping distance.

There are many variables of footwork, and the best wayto verify these in usage is to incorporate them all and find which ones work in each situation... I personally would not rely on any one particular form or pattern due to a quick ability for discovery by an expert opponent. Be light on your feet and move around efficiently. To be heavy footed is normally not a good recomendation unless you are rooting yourself. And to that I finish, because rooting is a whole other topic=debate