Folder with Guard?

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by arnisador, Oct 4, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm looking for a folder that has some type of protection against my hand running up the blade on a stab. A guard or good, deep finger grips or a kerambit-like finger ring, or what-have-you. Everything I have now, except the folding kermabit and, to a lesser extent, the Gunting, have this liability. Any suggestions?

2. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

[​IMG]

Like this?

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's certainly closer, yeah! Have you tried it? I wonder if the lead finger slips when you stab?

4. blindside

blindside student

5. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list of blades to check out...on my quest for an EDC that's actually mine and not borrowed :D

6. Mcura

Mcura New Member

7. Waltyr

Waltyr Member

The CRKT knives are definitely a great option with very competitive prices as well!! I just picked up a CRKT Hammond Model, the 'desert cruiser'. It has a guard on top and bottom of the blade. It also can be carried in a tip-up or tip-down configuration. Check it out!!

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

This is along the lines of what I am looking for, yes! Hmmmmm, I'd like to feel it in my hand before spending the cash, but I do want to get something that will alleviate the worry of cutting myself.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The look isn't very attractive to me, but as you state it has all the things I'm looking for here! Even the textured grip is helpful. I looked at his 'regular' cruiser too.

10. Waltyr

Waltyr Member

Ya, thats is true. I will have to admit that the constant battle within myself is the form vs. function and the careful balance of the two. If your lucky enough in life, one may find a knife perhaps once in a blue moon that fits ones criteria for funtionality and beauty.

11. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

CRKT puts out the M-16 and M-21, to which I am a fan, as well as the Kasper/Crawford folder, whose handle lends itself to a firmer grip because a sub-hilt type notch. There are some practitioners that I know who have ground down the bump on the handle so the knife can be held held more comfortably in hammer grip or ice-pick grip (with the bump, the grip is partial to a hammer grip).

A good discontinued model is the Spyderco Goddard, which you might find on E-Bay.

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks! I'm partial to saber (hammer) grip, though I become more convinced all the time by what I initially heard from you in Buffalo about the benefits of the edge-in reverse grip for these size knives and what I continue to hear about it through the Dekiti Tirsia Siradas folks. But for now, I'm a saber-grip kind of guy!

I see there are lots of variants of the M-16. I like the one with quillons. Also, there are a few variants of the M-21.

The C/K folder looks like it has a good grip...I wish I could pick a few of these up and try them! I want something I'll comfortable with.

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I appreciate the advice here and on MT. The Desert Cruiser seems to be what I'm looking for...but I just don't like the look of it. If it came in black, I'd take it. They seem to discourage carrying the models with quillons in a pocket, which I often do. I'm looking at the C/K models now.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

OK, I found a cheap M-16 and decided to give it a try! If I like it I can think about upgrading. I wanted the one with quillons on both sides but didn't like restrictions on the pocket carry for those.

15. Silence_sucks

Silence_sucks New Member

My girlfriend bought me an m-16 for christmas, awesome knife the teflon finish on the blade looks great.

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I liked it, and just ordered a nicer one for my son!