FMA systems teaching sword and shield or spear and shield?

Discussion in 'Misc. Sword Arts' started by jwinch2, Apr 5, 2014.

1. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

We are all probably aware of the many depictions of Filipino warriors holding a shield, either with a sword or spear, or even sometimes with an axe/tomahawk. Despite the commonality of such depictions, I have yet to come across a single FMA system which actually teaches the use of the shield, either with the spear, or the sword, or both.

My suspicion is that the use of the shield died out with advent of firearms and that modern FMA practitioners see little reason to recover/maintain the techniques and teach them due to the emphasis most of the time on being relevant to the modern world of self-defense, law enforcement, military, etc.

There is one video posted on this forum of two men fighting with stick and shield, but there is little evidence of skill in its use to be seen in the video, and fighting that way with a sword or spear would lead to death in about three seconds. http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.php?9475-Rotan-Fighters-Warrior-(Stick-amp-Shield-Fighting)

So, what say you? Are you aware of any FMA systems or teachers who are doing good things with a shield?

2. ryan4nayr

ryan4nayr New Member

I suspect this as well. Due to the volume of techniques we apply with our "alive" or off-hand, I also think these were evolved from shield techniques.

3. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

Hello Gents--

I would recommend looking into Kabaroan...if I'm not mistaken, there is shield work there.

Jason...will you be going to PTI Camp this year?

Best,

Jack A. Latorre
    Mataas Na Guro
    Pekiti-Tirsia International
    www.ptiacademy.com

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

4. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

No Jack I won't be there. I am in North Texas now, and moving to South Texas in a few weeks. Too much going on right now to make that kind of trip. Thankfully, there seem to be some good people locally to train with

Thanks for the recommendation!

5. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

Jason--

Perhaps one day our paths will cross...

As for Texas, a former student of mine (Fred) is studying with Guro Clint Grumbles...so if the circles are small enough in Texas, perhaps the two of you will collide. Fred did well at Tuhon Pappy Dog's recent tournament.

Peace,

Jack A. Latorre
    Mataas Na Guro
    Pekiti-Tirsia International
    www.ptiacademy.com

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

6. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I'll keep an eye out. Cheers!

7. Pinuti

Pinuti New Member

..Actually, I did see a video of a Filipino using the sibat with a large yantok mano stick. The way he was using it was very basic, to show his student how to strike, parry, deflect and confuse the enemy by certain motions using the stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HQdPyUMpXY

jwinch2 likes this.