FMA on CSI - New York

Discussion in 'General' started by Datu Tim Hartman, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

I was watching CSI the other night and wouldn't you know it. During a fight scene they were doing Double Sinawali aka Heaven and Earth. Day by day we're taking over the world!

:lsvader:

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Excellent! Were these supposed to be FMA people fighting, or just general criminals?

3. Datu Tim Hartman

[FONT=&quot]Corporate Samurai doing FMA because it looks better than Karate weapon fighting!

:)
    [/FONT]

4. sames

sames New Member

Heh. Which episode? My wife Tivos all the CSI stuff... I normally find that I have other stuff to do but I'd check out this episode.

5. Datu Tim Hartman

I don't know the episode name, but it was this past weeks CSI NY show.

6. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Hmmmm, I have heard other discussions about this show also. Me thinks thou are looking for the positive. ;) :D

7. G22

G22 -== Banned ==-

Is doing sinawali a direct sign of FMA influence? Theres only so many ways you can swing 2 sticks simultaneously. Do any other weapon arts that use double weapons do what we call sinawali?

8. The Boss

The Boss I am the Law! Supporting Member

Don't worry Tom, I saw it also. It was Filipino.

9. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

don't know the name of the episode either but it sure looked familar.

10. Far Walkers Moon

Far Walkers Moon New Member

Darn missed thatone sure hope I can watch it when it reruns

11. G22

G22 -== Banned ==-

Seriously. Are there any other arts out there that duplicate MA techniques? Say Kama or Nunchaku, are there techniques in arts that use those weapons that we would call sinawalli?

12. sames

sames New Member

If by siniwali you loosely mean "weaving" then sure... many weapon forms have that. Some lend themselves to it better than others. Double numchuku weaves very well with one person but very poorly when there are two people. Chuks just don't respond to impact in as tidy a fashion as sticks do.

Weaving and twirling sticks is a natural. From the Arnis length stick up to the Bo. The three section staff twirls very nicely and can be woven in tandem with another player. Sai also very pretty.

What you bump into with, at least the americanized versions of, asian martial arts is the emphasis on "no weapon" until higher belts. This means less people actually with weapons (good or bad). There are also fewer "kata" that are multi-person. One of the things I love about Modern Arnis is that everything is two-man from day one. Siniwali, tapi-tapi, etc... You learn to move with another person in an environment that is more flexible than "I jab, you block" 1000 times. Bah.

Side topic: what exact purpose does the kata within Arnis accomplish? They seem, to me, to be a regression? They take a dynamic, cooperative art and put it into static, solo movements? Are their katas in the PI or is it a Western thing because we expect MAs to have kata?