FMA in the U.S.

Discussion in 'FMA in the News' started by arnisador, Jan 17, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Arnis: A real Pinoy martial art

A 2002 article on arnis in San Francisco as taught by Nestor Fernandez ("a 16th dan red belt of the arnis - Fernandez style"), from a Phil. newspaper.

On another forum is a copy of a Salt Lake Tribune article on a police officer who practices Dekiti Tirsia Siradas. The article is no longer freely available at the paper's site; see this thread at Bullshido.

Repeating from a previous post (for completeness):

Arnis in NJ:
    http://www.filipinoexpress.com/19/51_eweek.html

Always good to see a "Stick Fighting" entry in a list of local activities:
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...512300340.html

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Recuperating Soldier Studies Vee Arnis Jujitsu.

INJURED SERGEANT SOLDIERS ON

An incidental mention of martial arts (Vee Arnis Jujitsu) in a story on the recuperation of a wounded Army sergeant.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Middle School Eskrimador Wins Grappling Championship.

World Champion

She won a grappling tournament and the only art they mention is Doce Pares? I wonder if she also studies Judo or BJJ or the like?

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Warrior ethos

A U.S. Army brigadier general teaches escrima to his troops in NC:

On an unrelated note, this story talks about Russian President Vladimir Putin's trip to China and discusses his Judo background and a Shaolin kung fu demonstration.

7. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

8. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I enjoyed the foreign exchange student story!

This is just an amusing anecdote from ED:
    On the Street: What book are you reading?

An Iowa newspaper asks people what book they're currently reading...one person answers, "The Secrets of Cabales Serrada Escrima."

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  11. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Do you know him through the FMA, or through another connection?

13. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

Through one of his captains who had attended my FMA class one evening.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Lucas Fehringer.

Broken sticks

15. JasonSilverman

JasonSilverman New Member

Greetings All - In regard to this post, we teach the full system of Doce Pares Eskrima at our academy - so all of our students learn their weaponry skills (doble olisi, solo olisi, baraw, espada y daga, etc) as well as their empty hand skills (punching, kicking, elbows, knees, headbutts, eye gouges, etc.) as well as their grappling (throws and takedowns, joint submissions, chokes and locks, sweeps, positional hold downs and reversals, etc.)

My background contains a good deal of grappling and when I started to learn Doce Pares, the concepts easily flowed to the grappling range - we focus conceptually on sabayan - simultaneous attack and defense, continuous forward pressure, proper body angulation and footwork, proper hip torque within technique, etc.

I always get a chuckle when our fighters arm is raised in victory and the announcer says that so and so of Doce Pares Eskrima is the winner and everyone in the crowd says, what the hell is doce pares eskrima??? It must be from Brazil, right? :)

Have a great day and thanks for providing such a great forum for FMA conversations!

Mabuhay!

Jason M. Silverman
    EEMA Fitness & Martial Arts / POWerful Words Character Development
    http://www.powerfulwordsonline.com
    http://www.eemaworld.com

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Recent Demos.

Filipino dance event sees long prep, huge hit

Stanford University's Filipino dancing event includes eskrima.

3-day Filipino cultural expo starts today

Ventura County's Filipino Arts and Cultural Expo 2006, "a three-day cultural event," includes "a Filipino martial arts demonstration conducted by Mount San Antonio College Filipino Martial Arts group [...] The group is directed by Oxnard-born Steve Del Castillo, who will show audiences eskrima, kali, arnis and kickboxing" as well as dancing, food, etc.

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Local stories from across the U.S.

The Hub's humming with teens in Bangor

L Bacerra teaches escrima at a community center in NE Pennsylvania.

Calling all kids: Stockton lacrosse team wants you

Further down in this sports round-up article, the Angels Disciples Escrima Association's recent tournament successes at the San Diego Grand Nationals and Bakbakan International Filipino Stick Fighting event in Van Nuys are mentioned. Chez D. Tibon, Darlene J. Tibon and Fred Clay all placed in events, including a stick-and-dagger sparring event.

Learning to stick with a sport

Cody Smith, 11, of Oxnard, CA, prepares for the 2006 Filipino Martial Arts World Invitational at Walt Disney World in Orlando, FL.

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

FMA in Hawaii.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+2]Filipino martial art goes beyond fighting with sticks[/SIZE][/FONT]

A sidebar gives this website.

A second story tacked on to the end of the article:

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]GARCIA CAPTURES WORLD TITLE IN SINGLE STICK

[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

19. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

DAMAG-INC Kali Combatives presentation video 2006

I'm glad to read the feedback of both sides concerning this video. All the participants in this video (excluding myself) are all enlisted military personnel stationed at Ft Bragg and the 82nd Airborne. All the soldiers in the video (except 2 others, a rigger and a MP) are Special Forces guys that have been deployed to the "sandbox" (Iraq & Afghanistan) and have been there more than once. These guys are trained warriors, and to them this type of training is alot of fun and challenging. I take personal delight that these guys were even willing to go all-out the way we did. Many civilians would wince away from this type of training and they don't last too long as students. The training in our group is approached in a hardcore combative and dynamic approach with an equal consideration for SAFETY to avoid unnecessary injury in order to continue training. What I like even more about our approach in the way we train is that we MAKE NO EXCUSES for our desires and aim to become better fighters.

Click the link below to view video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J4_fFFvjus

This video is a revision of both the DAMAG-INC 2005 and 2006 promo and demo videos in presentation format. DAMAG-INC Kali Combatives as taught by Daniel Arola in Fayetteville, North Carolina just down the road from Ft Bragg and the 82nd Airborne. Training emphasis via full-contact sparring and attributes drilling with sticks, knives and empty hands in all the ranges of head-on combatives, streefight proficiency and self-defense.

20. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Demo. in NJ Last Month.

RP flag flies at JC City Hall

Capitol Heights instructor enters Black Belt hall of fame

The art of self-defense

This is a common combination of arts in Illinois and Indiana.