FMA in the cage

Discussion in 'General' started by The Phalanx, Jun 22, 2009.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

I would like to see someone use FMA in the cage like UFC... The Dog Brothers are doing something similar with their Kali Tudo series...

But this something I would like to see happen more...

Are there any fighters who use FMA in MMA fights that anyone know of?

2. excalibur

excalibur New Member

Brandon Vera, MMA (UFC) (Filipino father, Italian mother) I believe he train in FMA not sure which group; however, he is mostly Brazilian JJ and Muay Thai. From time
    to time he uses the art of FMA in the cage.

3. The Phalanx

I know Batista from the WWE(fake fighting)does FMA but I don't know of any MMA fighter who uses it as part of their arsenal...

I think one should really look at FMA as something they should use in the cage...

4. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

What aspects of FMA did he use? Which fight was it?

5. Jason Jones

Jason Jones New Member

I have seen Tito Ortiz use a number of covers that look like he could attack the punch with his elbows. A little Dance of Death would be an interesting addition and shouldn't be a hard transition from Muay Thai.

6. You mean Yaw-Yan?

7. Killbot

Killbot Sereeus Biznus

The thought of Batista attacking me with a stick just scares the living hell out of me. That dude is ginormous.

8. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Yaw Yan could clearly be used in the cage as the Kickboxing style used (Muay Thai, Sanda, Yaw Yan, etc.)

Can anything else in FMA be used? Sometimes when I see people on the ground, let's say side control or mount, it seems like that could be a great time to use limb destruction. Imagine someone has you mounted and they drop elbows on your upper arm? Ouch!!!

9. Rapier

Rapier RHC

This is from a post in the FMA forum where the same question sort of was brought up. Except that some one was saying that FMA did not have a chance in the cage. Well I'm of a different opinion and this was my answer. Gentlemen let me answer you question about FMA and MMA. FMA was the original MMA. The Filipino masters always took the best of what everyone had to offer and made it their own since the beginning when fighting was life or death and not a sport. Now let’s get back to the sport aspect of MMA. Filipino Martial Arts training was used on the onset of the MMA scene when there were no rules. Don Frye the Champion of UFC 8 & 9 was trained in FMA by Filipino Martial Artist Dr. Russell Harris (brother of Ron Harris Classic Eskrima) as evidenced by his use of elbows. But again like someone else just said it’s the man behind the art and his training ethics his heart and the will power to succeed. Many a great fighter has gone to the Philippines to seek that edge including, Mohamed Ali. The Philippines have a lot to offer. Do not under estimate the Filipino.

10. Jason Jones

Jason Jones New Member

I was drawing a blank on the name Yaw-Yan yesterday so went with the English translation. The little bit that I've seen I have liked and think it would be one of the easiest additions to an MMA arsenal. I like the way the round kick with the shin is used to bridge the gap and build momentum for the incoming hand and elbow strikes.

11. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

If you take a look at Rodney King's Crazy Monkey Boxing, it is fairly easy to see where the main framework came from - FMA elbow destructions. The same stands for some of the hammerfist punches, as with some guys they definitely look like punyo strikes...
    Anyways, I was wondering why would it be important to see the applications of FMA in MMA type events? Would it really make FMA any more credible or better? Is it not enough that we have Dog Brothers kind of stuff to show the applicability of one's FMA training... The fact is, MMA set of rules does not really offer too much space for the empty-handed expression of FMA, so why ponder over it?

12. bluesbassist

bluesbassist New Member

Kind of, but not really. I've been to a Rodney King seminar and I used to train with Jerry Wetzel a certified Crazy Monkey trainer. The cover used in CM doesn't specifically try to do an elbow destruction; if it happens fine but mostly you're actively using your forearms to guard your head.

It's very doubtful that you'll ever see full contact stick matches in the USA. The powers that be won't even allow kicking downed opponents and are trying to get rid of elbows. Allowing guys to hit each other with sticks on UFC? Ain't gonna happen.

13. The Phalanx

It's not about credibility or making FMA better... It's about exposure... Aren't we looking into spreading the art? That's one great way of doing it... Much better than any tourney...

14. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Why would we have to prove that the FMA is effective in the dog pen? It has centuries of historical documentation that tells of it's effectiveness.. My guys and myself have used the FMA in real world applications as have other instructors in this forum..

Those of us who have trained in the FMA and serve or served in the military along with working in the other specialized fields rely on our training to get us home at night when faced with situations that dictate the appropriate amount of force and confidence to stand and fight if needed..

That is Dakap Diwa or warrior mindset which is a major attribute in the teaching of the FMA and unless your instructor or training partner helps instill that confidence in your fighting skills, you might as well stay in the safety of the dog kennel and fight in a controlled environment..

Crafty dog and the rest of the dog brothers utilize their training in the "gathering of the pack" and when the UFC first came about, they submitted their request to be included in the first few events, but as evident on the dog brothers website, they were turned down by the sponsors and originators of the UFC.

This tells me that the creators of the earlier UFC were more interested in the grappling aspects under their set of "conditions" instead of the way that Crafty and his group train in. Controlled environment tell you anything as far as not wanting to look bad when they get knocked out by a guy who trained in the FMA along with what ever grappling system they train in?

15. The Phalanx

That was about the stickfighting aspect... How about using the open-hand aspect of FMA? Use that in the cage... There are various techniques that can be used as well as footwork... Then have that fighter credit FMA for it... Like how all the other fighters did with the arts they studied...

16. silat1

silat1 Active Member

My point in referring to the letter from the UFC originators is exactly what I intended for it to be.. They advertise the Ultimate fighting aspect of this event, yet they decline the dog brothers response.. What is so special about fighting in a dog cage and calling it ultimate fighting championship when they have " conditions" and goes against what their name refers to. The fight on the street or on the battle field and being able to survive is more of a testimonial about the fighting prowess of the fma and its practitioners instead of being confined by the conditions of a ringed event.

17. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

After all it is called Mixed Martial Arts, not Mixed Empty Handed Martial Arts... I mean, most of the arts/styles that are regularly present in UFC and similar events (such as BJJ, Judo, Kick Boxing...) usually claim they are perfectly applicable in self defense situations, including the defense against weapons. Well, then why not demonstrate it in a non-cooperative environment of a cage, against a stick wielding opponent?

So, the right question would be - why aren't FMA allowed in MMA?

18. silat1

silat1 Active Member

The arts of southeast asia have been taking the concept of MMA for centuries before it was brought to the states and featured in the UFC. Some of the senior practitioners of the fma in the states were studying with a specific instructor during our initial exposure to the arts.. I know of at least 5 instructors from the Philippines who took their family style and combined it with different systems to get the finished product they are teaching now.. If that isn't Mixed Martial arts influenced by the FMA, then I am going to give up teaching the arts and take up ball room dancing or maybe even TKD :drink::ninja::whatever:

19. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

new cage fighting rules

Round 1
    No weapons...only golf shoes...3 minute round..kicks to the downed opponent encouraged.

Round 2
    Introduction of the stick...hickory or another hard wood.....5 minute round...all direct joint and head shots highly advised

Round 3
    If it goes to 3 the knife will be introduced....espada y daga and golf shoes...7 minute round...any cornerman near the cage is fair game...lol...if referee sticks has nose in he gets whacked too.....

Now that would be fun to watch.

LOL....

20. silat1

silat1 Active Member

My comments are inbetween Mike's