FMA in JKD.

Discussion in 'General' started by cfr, Jul 7, 2008.

1. cfr

cfr New Member

Greetings. Some JKD schools (mainly PFS I beleive) also throw some FMA in the mix. How does the FMA in those schools differ from the FMA in a full time FMA school? I of course realize this is a very broad question, and there is no blanket answer for all schools.

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

That's a very tough question because, as you said, it varies by teacher. If the instructor has a FMA background then it's very much like whatever style they've learned, but possibly explained using JKD terminology. If the instuctor doesn't have a FMA background then their FMA may be very basic if they have any at all.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Where I studied (a PFS school) it was fairly rudimentary and focused mostly on improving body mechanics as well as basic weapon familiarity. But, the instructor knew more from Dan Inosanto seminars etc. and would work that in occasionally. Still, it was far from a full and complete intro. to FMA, and even relatively senior stduents would still hit wit the "belly of the blade" unintentionally at times!

4. corwin137

corwin137 Slayer of knuckledraggers

As with a lot of things, I've gotten them first discreetly, then integrated the ideas.

5. geezer

geezer Member

Help me out here. What's "PFS"? I confess, I'm a little confused by the whole JKD thing. My very limited exposure comes from a worn, 35 year old copy of The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, some old books by Dan Inosanto, and a smattering of outdated magazine articles.

From these sources it appears that two things have emerged. One would be the various "JKD" lineages, and the other would be what I would call the "spirit of JKD" which would describe any advanced martial artist who has moved beyond a traditional approach and has adoped an open and creative search to maximize his (or her) martial arts potential. This means building on a solid foundation, "absorbing what is useful", dumping what doesn't work and ultimately finding your own path. This is very different than attending a school that teaches a particular "JKD" mix or "style". Am I even close here?

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

7. corwin137

corwin137 Slayer of knuckledraggers

I'd argue that is a pretty close approximation. I've been to "concepts" schools and "original" schools here in LA. Despite how close I am to the lineage, have seen deviations in both camps, within their own framework.
    Some of the confusion arises IMHO, because it's largely principle based, and it's easy to have deviations in those interpretations. Most relevant styles are going to have commonalities- hands up, jab/cross/hooks, level changes, all ranges, covers and passes and such. As a result, I think you get stuff that looks a bit like one another, and quibbles arise over the details.