"FMA-Cheapened" (Dekiti Tirsia) by GT Gaje

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by Zeph, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

Eddie-

Thanks for the magazine reference.

I can see the difference having met Tuhon Nene several times. Speaking for myself - the differences between PTK & DTS, and Tuhon Leo's rightful heirship were not in question...

Thank you, but I will respectfuly decline. I am very happy and proud to be a student of Tuhon Bill McGrath.

Thanks again for the information.

-wes tasker

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I heard that it was Remy Presas' wife who suggested arnis (vs. eskrima, kali, ...) but don't know anything about who, if anyone, suggested Modern!

3. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Pekiti Tirsia

Hey Eddie,

I just got back from Mexico and haven't had much contact with a computer. Hopefully I'll resist the temptation to stay on-line too long and go upstairs to train! Be that as it may:

Tuhon Total moves differently from GT Gaje. I'd be interested to hear your take on this segment of a post by Ben Fajardo from a few years back on the PSDTC Forum:

Wes has also let me know in a conversation about a year ago that Tuhon Tortal moves differently than GT Gaje. Not better or worse - just differently. As Michael and May Williams up in Boston are students of Nene Tortal I may get a chance to meet him one of these days.

Here I have to disagree with you. I hope that I am not speaking out of turn when I say that Tom and Tuhon William McGrath came up at the same time and learned the same curriculum. I can't see much "stylistic" difference between Tuhon McGrath and Grand Tuhon Gaje in this clip:

http://www.pekiti.com/video_clips/LEO96-ALL.mpg

Of course, I've never met GT Gaje and don't know how he has developed Pekiti Tirsia Kali in the last ten years. The man is a legend and, if Tom's attitude is any indication, a complete master of Filipino martial arts and the true heir to Pekiti Tirsia Kali. That's undisputed. For that matter, Tuhon McGrath has never, in the few years that I've been attending his classes and seminars spoken with anything less than glowing respect for the man he generally refers to as "my teacher." I believe that his comportment should be a model for the rest of us.

With respect to Tuhon McGrath, I've had the advantage of learning a little Filipino martial arts under both Tom Bisio and Bill Schettino (no slouch, as I am sure you are aware, at understanding the "essence" of Pekiti Tirsia), and can with that lens observe that he is a superlative teacher. We've trained together up in Fishkill so you know what I'm talking about. Personal and political agendas don't take away skill level.

Wes' loyalty to his teacher should be obvious. For my part, I would be honored to attend a seminar with Grand Tuhon Gaje when my schedule permits.

Best,

Steve

4. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

It would be great to have you join us Steve:)

We hope to bring him back as soon as we can. Naturally, I'll be posting dates :D :D

5. Bogey

Bogey Guest

No offence, guys, but I'd suggest you should either be 110% sure of what you're saying or just not stumble around where sleeping dogs lie.

Rumors are a most human phenomenon and it's always very interesting to play around with possibilities but it's a fact that a story doesn't become more true by being told by more and more people.
    Personally, I don't know all of the stories, but some of the facts very detailed. I always consider it to be part of a crappy mentality to discuss stuff that I'm not personally concerned with. I'm sure those guys are able to mind their own business.
    The problems with words is always that they're not easily taken back and made unspoken. See what I mean?
    We might discuss and discuss and never come to a solution.
    As far as "who is able to do it best" is concerned:
    The stick is round and the blade is flat. You can fake videos, fake pics but you won't talk away a broken bone.

6. 408kali

408kali New Member

Ya true Bogey. Everyone's got an opinion, for better or worse. I mean, I've heard negative criticism about Serrada and almost lost my mind (thank G_d I kept my temper- I might've lost my HEAD as well). Just recently I heard the second such remark. To denote these negative remarks, the late Grandmaster and U.S. founder of the system, Angel Cabales, participated in over 40 death matches and lost NONE of them. And like I told my Serrada instructor, yes I enjoy meeting and fellowshipping with other systems of FMA, but I'm sure I wouldn't do it if I weren't fully confident in Eskrima Serrada. More than likely I would shine whatever art I learned and seek another foundation entirely. So what is my outlook on politics and such?
    Advice given to me from an unnamed Tuhon which holds true for me to today:
    "Let your art do the talking."
    Let your art do the talking! One of my greatest intentions in fellowshipping here with you all is to build amongst one another and encourage each other in the art.
    I can find aspects from most, if not all, FMA's and I prefer not to speak negativity with regards to other systems. However, when confronted with negativity, it's best to handle things in a calm and mature manner, if you feel the need to even respond/acknowledge such things.

Peace & Blessings to all, ~John

7. Viking

Viking New Member

8. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Pekiti Tirsia Kali history

One should always keep in mind that all of the players of this drama have had both personal and business relationships throughout the years, and that recollection of history changes as personal and business histories change.

Shut up and train. You'll thank yourself later.

Best,

Steve Lamade

9. eugene johnson

eugene johnson New Member

Who are some of the instructors in Dekiti Tirsia?
    Is Tim Wade an instructor under nene and Leo Gaje or is he an instructor under only Le Gaje. I am impressed with the ptgo website but is there a dekiti website that I can go to so that I can compare Dikiti and Pekiti?

10. Chris Wiggins

Chris Wiggins New Member

Tim is a Pekiti instuctor, and has no affiliation with Nene. You want to compare? Just go to YouTube, it should take about 2 seconds for see the difference.

11. St. Bernard

St. Bernard New Member

Tuhon Gaje, Telling It Like It Is

What I like most about Tuhon Gaje is that he is not afraid to tell it as he sees it. I wasn't there for any of this, so I have no idea what happened. I will say this though, I've read plenty from the Tuhon regarding other FMA's, saying what they owe to PTK and when it comes time for the others to respond...
    You hear that?
    crickets, right?

Nobody has a thing to say to the man. You would think that if he were simply pulling this out of thin air, people would call him on it, but they just don't. Makes you wonder why.
    Keep up the good work, Grand Tuhon.

12. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Mr Demon-

I'm not taking sides in this debate, but I would like to point out as the owner of this site that ALL of the members here are guests in MY HOUSE! Keep it respectful. There have been two suspensions due to the actions of the PTK and DTK members. I'm beginning to reach my limit with this crap! I would like to leave everyone with a saying I use a lot.

There are three sides to every story: Yours, Mine and the TRUTH.

There are many skeletons on both sides of this debate. I don't think that it would be good to have them revealed. Consider this a freindly threat!

13. Carol

Account Policy
    • Members are permitted a maximum of one account per person, regardless of how many organizations you represent. If you choose to ignore this important restriction, all your accounts will be disabled.
    • Members may not post on behalf of any banned member in any public manner. This includes all forums, private messages, signatures, and e-mail features.
    • Keep your account information private (password).
    • Purposefully violating the security of the forum or allowing someone else to use your account may result in suspension or ban.
    Thread Locked.

- Carol Kaur
    - FMAT Administrator

14. Carol

There was some misunderstanding here.

Having spoken personally with The Black Demon, he indicated that he was not referring to DTK. There was also a concern over multiple accounts, which has successfully been straightened out. My apologies to him for a bit of a rough entry to FMATalk.

However, the DTK vs. PTK debate has been done to death in recent weeks, and...while intellectual debate and vigorous discussion is welcomed...denigrating another art or style isn't what we're all about here.

Time for some fresh discussion.

This thread is staying closed.

- Carol Kaur
    - FMAT Admin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.