Fluidity, Timing, and Rhythm

Discussion in 'Pedoy's Derobio Escrima' started by Mchief, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Mchief

Mchief New Member

When I started learning Derobio from GGM Pedoy and Batikan Eddie Pedoy the emphasis was on footwork, moving behind the power, fluid moves, timing and rhythm. Fluidity, timing and rhythm is like a mantra to a Derobio Man.
    I would be very interested to know how others interpret this? How does the above statements work in your art?

2. langgaw

langgaw New Member

I was introduced to a very unorthrodox system some years ago and have learned few simple techniques that suits my forte and temperament. I was told not to take too much attention to footwork as it goes with the body mechanics.................. and that power is not always concerntrated to a 100%......rather a mere 75 % but effected to a specific vital target area that is the eye, hands, joints and the throat........... My trainors maximized my specialty in timing and speed. Power is sacrificed for speed and vital point hits. There is no excuse for wasted multiple strikes as it consumes precious seconds. My drill specifies 8 continous strikes with optional swings that can be changed at will if any of the strikes hit a snag or countered............unwasted strikes and fast is what I train for but always hand in hand with an eagle eye for the slighttest of opening. .....I can not be too fluid as I have quite a boy mass so I employ quick jerky moves incorporating bluffs and feigns. Very effctive for any kind of oponents specially the stick swingers...... less power in the first barage of strikes is just to create an opening for the last major killer hit ( the 100% power strike. As far as knowing a lot of techniques ..... I am at a loss as my teachers said it is unnnecessary.I was told to concentrate on the body mechanics for power and timing but was never taught any footworks............ Suprised me because it came naturally with the drill fromulated for me. Rhythm I learned is a weakness as it becomes predictable and that is what I watch for in my oponents moves. Just sharing an interpretation realtive to your excellent style.

3. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Movement

Very true!. Everyone is build and moves differently. Our teachers were not big man. They were short. slim but powerful. We needed footwork to move in and around our opponents energy. Derobio Escrimadors practice economy of motion. To move only when you need to. When we move, IE> walk, run its is done with Rhythm. When you breath, it's rhythm. Your heart has a rhythm. Nature is abound with rhythmic movements. Combat is a dance between two or more people.

Our footwork moves in tandem with our hands (strikes). We are always moving, never static. For Derobio practionars rhythm is one of our key strengths. What made Ali great? Was it hand speed? Was in his good looks?
    Was is it his footwork ? or Was it Ali's ablility to combine all with rhythm? One should not look for it. It comes naturally. For some of us it comes easy others not so.

You can still be fluid for your size. Batikan Eddie Pedoy was a power lifter in his youth in Hawaii. He was over 250 IBS. 5'10'' tall, but he moved with grace, rhythm and power.

Rhythm is never predictable because your opponent is unpredictable. Your moves depends on your attackers initial move. When one loses rhythm he is dead.

Footwork is always necessary no matter your size. In Derobio everyone moves according to their build. But they move. It is very hard to hit a Derobio Man. He is never in the same place long enough to hit.

Be fluid, move with rhythm, defend with timing!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  4. viejo

viejo New Member

The last time I met my teacher, he make a kidn of Carenza and it was so fluid in his movements and for one momement I though he was floating...
    it was like a dance.....
    I think I will take some "Salsa classes" here....might help to take out my stiffnes.....

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

How do you mean this?

6. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Thats a very good analogy. Per Ali," float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."
    Taking dance lessons is a very good idea. Something that makes you move your feet. Yes!

7. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Behind the power

When an attack is initiated you can either meet it ( Ala Contra) or pass, evade (Derobio). We allow the strike to pass than follow behind the strike for a counter. Sometimes we use Ala Contra but immediately move outside away from the line of attack. Thus our four corners footwork. Now when two experience Escrimadors meet to do battle no one moves first. In Derobio if you move first you have lost. So we initiate what we cal Enganyo or feint, fake moves. We sacrafice some pain for a victory. Its not who will get cut but who will get cut the worse.

In his travels GGM Pedoy found that one moves in all 3 ranges. Long, medium and close. A battle starts form long and gradually moves in. GGM. specialty and which he was well known amongst his peers was his agaws and his close range fighting. If you have 2 very good fighters ,9 out of 10 times they will end up in a clinch. Thats where grappling (Dumog) with weapons comes in. The one that runs out of counters will lose. GGM. said there are keys for every lock.

Going behind the power can be translated through our Derobio Mantra.
    Be FLUID, move with RHYTHM and TIMING. Evade, allow the energy to pass and flow past you than counter.

Derobio can translated like so. To Evade or Ryhthm of the Horse. At every speed, slow walk, slow trot, galloping etc. if the rider does not stay in step with the horse he will full off. In Derobio we try to stay in step with our attacker weither in takes 3 seconds or 2 hours.

8. viejo

viejo New Member

9. Mchief

Mchief New Member

10. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Dumog is quite effective technique while using weapons in a clinch and close up. Dumog is a good resource to have in one's repetoire in FMA. And hurts a hell of a lot and disrupts your opponents rhythm. The depth of real practical self-defense knowledge that Derobio has is such an asset to those who are learning it, but as I have mentioned before it is the healing aspect of the mind, body and spirit and the Aloha that is the treasure.IMHO, E Pule Kakou, Mahalo O Akua Makua Lani, IMUA PSDE !

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  11. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

From what I've experienced these past 2 weeks in my class teaching this Derobio philosophy of fluidity,timing and rhythm has been a different approach being a defender when dealing with a stick attack and I see that this thinking will work much better when facing blades. It is hard to cut or strike someone that is moving with you almost like a shadow and staying close to you which limits what one has to strike. When the opponent moves you move with him with fluidity,timing and rhythm. I will slowly weave this Derobio mantra to compliment what I have been showing the students about 'eskrima' in general.Thanks again Master Chief for the in-put. Mahalo

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  12. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Timing

Expand on controlling distance by checking . Like a snake that flicks its tongue to smell a prey so does an Escrimador needs to use his/her checking hand. The attacker steps forward you step back. He steps back you step forward. You mirror his movements. The counter comes when he least expects it. The movements are circular with triangle footwork. You four courner out and in, left and right. You use single, double and triple checks to control your opponent. The fluid, rhythmic timing will allow you freedom to move through and around your opponents energy. Derobio movements are passive. You bend with the attack and you return with an equal or greater force. Once you move you do not stop until your opponent is stopped. Once you move your garrotte the point continues in a figure 8 motion weaving in and around the others weapons. In Derobio, the strikes are blocks and the blocks are strikes. Your garrotte is an instrument of destruction than can bring peace to any altercation.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

This is great! I hope you don't mind if I use that metaphor. It's perfect!

14. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Feel free to use what ever I post. We all are here to share our experiences.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007