Flint/obsidian

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by Garymichael, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Garymichael

Garymichael New Member

Might be interesting to go all the way back to the beginning and play with some rocks- but I have heard that in some states you can get in serious trouble with non-metallic knives. Isnt it bizarre that a ten thousand year old weapon can defeat airport security? A sharp rock with a piece of wood tied on with some weed- and anyone trying to take me down and choke me out gets butchered into lamb chops. Pretty obvious why primitive people didnt need empty hand martial arts techniques; only disarmed humans need tricks.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The plastic knives on planes scenario is scary, although there's an aspect of "fighting the last war" to it. I'd like to get hold of one and see how it feels, and how long it lasts! But yes, it all started with a sharp rock. Amazing!

Some related threads:
    Ceramic/Plastic Knives and Air Travel.
    Scissors on Planes.

3. young blade

young blade New Member

Reminds me of that movie The Hunted, where the character played by Tommy Lee Jones made a knife out of stone. Interesting

4. 5thprofession47

5thprofession47 New Member

I have a ton of Obsidian I purchased a local stone quarry. It's tough to shape as it is very fragile but man is it ever sharp! I have even read where it is still used in some surgical procedures, amazing!

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

In surgery? I didn't know that!

6. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Here's an obsidian scalpel from a scientific supply.

The supplier states that it is used to help reduce scarring, or in applications where metal cannot be tolerated. Very interesting.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Neat! I never knew that!