Flexable weapons!

Discussion in 'Lameco' started by SuperToe, Apr 27, 2007.

1. SuperToe

SuperToe Member

Does anyone know the Lameco Way of wrapping the Bandana around the fingers ????

PLus is this portion of lemeco a major portion???

Matt

2. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

In Lameco Eskrima the ultimate flexible weapon is your mind...

Actually the "panyo" (bandana) can easily be substituted by anything of considerable length. Punong Guro Sulite used to have us train this material not only with the "Panyo" but also with a plastic bag, belt, extension cord, t`shirt, shoe laces, neck ties or any thing else that may be handy in your time of need.

The main influence for this material came from GM Abdul Hai Qahar Madueno (Simaron style) from Mindanao. As well Master Epifanio "Yuli" Romo of Kali Illustrisimo fame influenced PG Sulite with this material as he himself was quite handy with the "Panyo" representing his own Indigenous Pilipino Warrior Arts as performed by his local tribe in Mindanao.

Take a "Panyo" and tie a knot in one end. Take the knotted end and place it snuggly between the index and third finger of the right hand and wrap it a few times around those two fingers then close both fingers snug as you make a fist. Grab the un-knotted end with the left hand and wrap it once around the index and third finger of that hand until firm. You want about 12 inches of material streched between both hands to work with.

At this point you are ready to utilize the "panyo" for a variation of things from weapon disarms, controls, wrist and elbow locks, take downs and neck breaks to name a few.

Go well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

3. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Kamusta ka na Guro Dave...Your correct Maestro Yulis panyo work is spooky...especially when he transfers it to the cadena. He spoke highly of Master Sulite.

4. SuperToe

SuperToe Member

Panya

Thanks,

I really enjoy the aspect of the FMA, Anywhere you go you can have a Flexable weapon, Amazing.

Is there any sarong techniques within the system?

Mat

5. Black Grass

Black Grass Junior Member

Since, I only trained Lameco for only a short time (a year until Guro Edgars passing) , my knowledge is limited. I do know that some of the techniqes come from Ilustrisimo.

The night before PG Edgar slipped into his coma. I was hanging around the Master Ricketts gym (in Kamuning) Steve Tarani was showing me some panyo techniques. PG Edgar came in and watch what we were doing. Steve showed some Mande Muda and Lameco techinques. I remember PG Edgar saying something to the effect that the Lameco techniques came from 'Tatang', PG Edgar proceeded to teach me 2 knife disarms ( if you have ever seen the Kali Ilustrisimo Vol.3 video by Mandarigma productions it was the ones shown). On a sad note this was the only lesson I received directly from PG Edgar as I met him for the first time there in Manila.

Vince
    Kali Ilustrisimo USA
    Bakbakan International
    PFS JKD Family

6. 408kali

408kali New Member

From what I've seen of the Mande Muda sarong I would say it's all relative as far as what flexible weapon you choose. Chain, sarong, panyo. In the Garimot system of Buno there is a weapon called a Lubid, which means "rope." The Lubid is braided hemp rope with about an inch and a half or so of copper wire twined at either end and tied around the waist. I believe the Lubid traditionally has rocks embedded in each end, but don't quote me on that. Same rule applies, you can use a t-shirt, plastic bag, etc. My father-in-law was an MP in the Marines in Nam and he was taught this technique which I call "bread baggin" because somehow the enemies shirt ends up over his head and at some point the enemies' face is scraped across the ground. I heard he used the technique on a man who robbed my wife as a young girl as she walked home from the store. To this day the man's face has black pockmarks and scars where his face was scraped across the tar street.

~John

7. tim_stl

tim_stl Junior Member

you got it right. a smooth, oblong rock is woven into each end of the rope. the copper coils are used to give weight, but still leave about a half an inch of the frayed ends of the rope sticking out to give a bit of padding for training.

tim

8. 408kali

408kali New Member

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the clarification! Guro Andrew mentioned that the Lubid, besides trapping and general hog-tying, is used similar to nunchakus. I believe you receive this weapon (made I assume by the crafty hands of Gat Puno Abon himself) upon reaching Guro status in the Garimot system.. very awesome!

~John

9. tim_stl

tim_stl Junior Member

i'm out of luck- i bought mine. :)

the very first time i saw guro abon use it, i had to have one. there's a lot of similarity to the way the sarong is used in mande muda (cipecut), but the different dimensions (end weighted, not looped, extra friction and thickness) make some more things possible, but loose some others. the two systems complement each other well.

tim