Fitness

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by The Phalanx, Nov 14, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Yeah, I love that game... There's nothing like stabbing Catholics in the neck as an Arab Assassin... Too bad the story is too short... I also enjoy Grand Theft Auto 4...

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

This is a guaranteed trip to the hospitality of GITMO.. It is my duty to report this statement to the FBI and Homeland security terrorist reaction forces.. This is an acknowledgement that you are now considered as a homegrown terrorist and can be held for an indefinite length of time with out charges being filed as a result of the statement highlighted below..
    This constitutes a threat against a specific religious group and is not condoned by the Patriot Act of which is still in effect.. You can anticipate a knock at the door by the guys wearing the fashionably black wardrobe sans pearl necklaces, although the sling that attaches their M4s does make a statement

Enjoy your new wardrobe of a yellow jumpsuit and 24 hr supervision with no outside contact

:apc:

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Please return to the topic of the thread.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

4. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I agee. I just got one about 2 months ago, and love doing it. I was really into weightlifting but in 2005 was forced to give up my space consuming weight training equipment. This takes far less space and works cardio and resistance at the same time.

5. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I've also been playing with some of the traditional Okinawan strength and conditioning training like in Goju-Ryu.

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

:rules::skeleton1

7. Pekiti & Bells

Pekiti & Bells New Member

lol hardstyle is taking over

awesome to see other RKC's here
    ahoy mate

may I add, that indianclubs/clubells lend themselves well to the stick fun

and Jordan is spot on, most of my work privately and with clients is centered around 10 minute start to finish routines that hit the entire body front and back, top to bottom, with supportive/corrective work tossed in on off days, and once a week heavy conditioning work (like breathing ladders with the beast for an hour)

respect mates

8. AlivePFC

AlivePFC New Member

Fitness is extremely important. I do numerous arts and with out the hours I put in I would not get the most out of each art. I tell my students to cut out the soda intake. We do runs, push ups, weights, crunches, the whole nine really. I know I feel better after doing a fitness workout then if I do not. It helps your body stay sharp. On top of physical fitness I also try word finds, jumbles, crosswords and other mental exercises to keep my mind focused and alert. I like Brain Age 1 and 2 for that as well. You wouldn't think a video game would work but hey.

9. Pekiti & Bells

z-health

dig into some z-health
    make you way more efficient and articulate
    can not stress how much benefit I have gotten from z, kettlebells, and the fms, as it relates to my martial endeavors

I no longer have pain in my hands
    have not seen a chiro (except to give a demo on the above) in 6 months, and I am stronger/faster than I ever have been

still an egg, but a well rounded one :)

btw, fitness is only as important as longevity is....

10. AlivePFC

AlivePFC New Member

I like kettlebells. I use them and make sure my students do too.

11. Greg_Robin

Greg_Robin New Member

I agree with most here that kettlebells are an awesome workout, and very versatile as well. You can use a 15lber and put in lots of reps for a good cardio workout, or grab the 25-35lb and do only 5-10 reps per exercise for a tougher full body workout. I'm with arnisador, the second my back is healed the first thing I'm doing is hitting the kettlebells.

I've also been getting into pilates and a lot of swiss ball exercises. Pilates is really cool for working muscles you probably forgot you had, and it's been doing wonders for rehabbing my back injury. The swiss ball is just plain fun. Myself and a few of the guys at our gym have been trying to stand on it and do squats and other stuff after watching a video of Andre Galvao and Leo Viera balancing on them and doing all kinds of acrobatics on them. Search Andre Galvao swiss ball on youtube if you wanna see someone with very impressive balance. I managed to do 24 squats balancing on the ball today, but I still cant jump onto it like they can. I tried a couple times and pretty much ate it.

This is some of the best advice in this thread. My Instructor always says, "If you want to be good at running, go run. If you want to be a good bodybuilder, lift weights. If you want to be good at Jiu-Jitsu, do Jiu-Jitsu. If you want to be good at Arnis, do Arnis." Every kind of sport/martial art/etc has its own kind of cardio, but sport specific training is best if you want to excel at that particular sport or art. If you want to swing a stick harder, then swing a stick. If you want to improve your cardio for stick or knife fighting purposes, then spar with sticks and training knives. Overall fitness is great, but as much as I love kettlebells, swiss balls, medicine balls, dumbbells, and my perfect pushups, nothing will get you in better shape for doing something that doing that particular thing constantly.

12. Pekiti & Bells

my 2 cents, or whatever it is worth...
    ballistic force
    generating, absorbing, and redirecting
    basically, the hard style of kettlebell lifting teaches ballistic force management using tension/relaxation somewhat like systema (for reference)
    the soft or gs style teaches the same thing, with efficiency in the three lifts performed for competition

both styles are equally effective at maintaining flexible strength through a full range of motion from toe to crown

personally I find the hard style method to be more applicable to martial subjects

besides, it is old style strong man stuff
    who does not want to be able to halve a deck of cards?

got grip?
    got gas?
    strong back, neck. and legs?

sounds like a recipe for a scrappy bit o puddin eh?

13. Pekiti & Bells

dig this

www.5ringsfitness.com

sticks and stones

I used to be skinny
    now I am dense
    and not just the way my wife says I am dense( not just in the mellon )

14. Pekiti & Bells

that is a true thing you said mate

all skills should be practiced well, with the mind and body fully engaged and committed to the active participation in the effective application of the skill

hu'ah mate
    spot on

15. The Phalanx

A good thing to take up is Parkour if you want to work a lot of your muscles... Looking at some Parkour guys on TV just shows how fit you have to be to do that kind of hobby... Either that or gymnastics... Works out all the muslces in your body...

16. Pekiti & Bells

the parkour seems to also have the balance of tense/loose that is necessary to really crank up the force generation in a short space

17. The Phalanx

That type of training can be useful in fight situations... Someone that agile is not an easy opponent to take down...

18. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

I like the idea of Parkour/free running, but wonder about how to intelligently integrate it into my training at my age.

Any suggestions for sources on these specific points?

a) the ability to jump from a height and land safely
    b) the ability to roll over/jump over a car hood/trunk
    c) the ability to cut angles sharply while running (e.g. like a football player with the ball evading tackles

19. Pekiti & Bells

parkour

there have to be some folks around you sir and age is no limitation to accept (google neuroplasticity), if I am not mistaken you are out on the west coast and there have to be tons of resources

first though, I would recommend cleaning up any movement restrictions you have, ie-any previous injuries that caused the body to compensate for lost range of motion, joint mobility is a start, but really consistent and focused jm will be the key to full access to entire range of every joint under full control

there is a system of movement based proprioceptive re-education of the cns that is called Z-Health its like voodoo for the central nervous system

caveat-currently I am undergoing the cert. process to be a coach for the R(ehab), I(ntegration), and T(herapy) phases (we affectionately refer to ourselves as zed heads)

If you have any contact with Dr. Mark Cheng at the Inosanto academy he would be a good resource for you as he has been exposed to a great deal of the material, as well as being a FMS/CK-FMS (functional movement screen) practitioner and a SR. in the RKC, the Dr is a sharp cat that has a lot of resources

the FMS would be another means to get rid of any movement restrictions or imbalances in the body (best analogy I have heard yet is that if you have a home in a war zone, before you redecorate, you should remove the live unexploded ordinance from the living areas) besides being a way to get rid of a lot of the nagging pains and injuries that we resign ourselves to living with, it will make you stronger and therefore more able to deal with the exigencies of the varied training regimen that parkour would require

this may seem a along answer, but I have spent the last 2 years cleaning up movement patterns, ridding myself of muscular imbalances and retraining my central nervous system to have access to full range of motion throughout the body under full control

my personal strength practice and speed of execution have all gone through the roof, I am no longer as tired throughout the day, or after a heavy set of thai pads, stick work, etc
    hubud/lubud for hours, roll on the mat for an hour straight with no break and barely breath heavy, my hands do not hurt any more (I have started to tear decks of cards for fun and extra grip work and am looking at getting into bending, did my first 250 page phone book last week :EvilGrin: the kali slap and pinching is a whole other animal now)
    my accuracy and reaction times are elevated beyond anything I had in my 20's, my vision is better, I track multiple objects at higher rates of speed with greater definition
    the list goes on

feel frankly superhuman some days, predatory and springy like a mountain cat most days, and just overall pretty damned good all the time

I feel better, sleep better, think better and get more out of my skill practice than I ever have in the past with less percieved effort and less flight time

still just an egg but the z-health and kettlebell training has accelerated my other skills in ways I would not have thought were true (and did not think were true when others said this is what will happen) way back when

if you just want to jump in and go there is no harm, your body will absolutely adapt to whatever demand you impose on it, I will shortly be attending an open gym night here in the cities at Gleason's out in Eagan MN (10$ for the eve. on mondays) where other cats hang out and do parkour/freerunning as well as stunt work (wire, falls etc)
    there has to be something out there for you and if not, I got space on the floor you could crash and get your learn on, Brad Nelson ( a colleague and fellow RKC, Z coach) is out here, you could contact him through his blog and he will likely be receptive

if you want to short cut all of this (though I would super not recommend that) get the R phase and S phase dvd's from Z-health, work the r drills for about 12 weeks, get the body mobile, then start adding in the s phase drills (sport specific stuff, like landing, plyometrics, sprinting, bone rhyhtm drills, visual tracking and reaction drills, the list goes on) you will not regret it in the least

I think I am beginning to digress so I will just say

get strong, stay strong
    a fledgling dog brother
    James

20. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

I'm looking to take my pekiti-specific conditioning up a notch, and don't really have ready access to a tire stack (I live in an apt complex without a large wooded area).

So I decided to bring in the bells.

I've been working with them in an unstructured way for about 6 months, swinging and snatching in a 3x5 scheme somewhat haphazardly. I got a pretty decent snatch ( I think), but wasn't on any kind of plan. So I decided to try out v02 max, and like it a lot.....but felt I needed a plan.

So I got Enter the Kettlebell.

I did the program minimum for 4 weeks. I try to also work about 500 strikes in the air on "work" days.

I'm now using a modified rite of passage so I can have my rep scheme spelled out. http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/522/

(It looked pretty much like the rite of passage program to me)

So i'm on week two of that plan now. I also do pull up/push up ladders along the same ladder scheme on the "work" days. So for example, one right clean and press, one left clean and press, one pushup, one pullup. Two right, two left, 2 push-up, 2 pull-up. This seems to work with pavel's advice in Enter the Kettlebell, and i'm hoping the pull-ups will help with my hard negatives without frying my shoulders too badly.

So a few questions

1) I like my vo2 max protocol stuff. Should I just wait until the end of the 6 weeks to get back on it, do it on "off" days, do it with a lighter bell the same day, or maybe replace one day of swings?

2) what is an appropriate intensity level for the "active recovery" days? Am i just resting the shoulders/grip? Can I do intensive cardio on an elliptical or resistance bike?

Right now I am doing both of these on the "active recovery" days (tues/thurs/saturday)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnt65CBU5RE&feature=PlayList&p=801BF322C3188D9D&index=0&playnext=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R1SjZJfZCE&feature=PlayList&p=801BF322C3188D9D&index=3

My understanding is that both of these are "rehab" exercises, so they shouldn't be too intense.

3) My roomie is getting a pipe-based clubbell soon, and the attributes it work seem very sport-specific. Would that be appropriate for an active recovery day a week? And if so, which basics would you reccomend, given that I intend to be working heavily with kettlebells.