Fitness

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by The Phalanx, Nov 14, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

How important is fitness to some people? I have seen some really out of shape practitioners on TV and some in real-life... I have also seen the fitness geeks...

How important is fitness to people?

Do you train like an athlete or do you just do what you can to get by?

Personally, I would love to have the time to train like an athlete... It would definitely give me the upper hand over not so fit opponents...

I try to avoid fats and junk food as much as I can but I do succumb to temptation here and there...

I have also seen some very athletic big men... Couple of guys in the Hawai'i Clan are pretty fit despite their size... They can really rain hell on an opponent...

How far do you take your fitness?

2. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

I think it depends on what you goals are.

With my current shift I have 3 days off but since I have my 9 month old with most of the day, my time is kinda limited so my workouts are fit in between his naps. Kettlebells can be a pretty good tool for conditioning and strength, not to mention body weight exercises. Sometimes I'm fortunate enough to get some free time and not be tired to work out late at night at the gym.

Anyway... sometimes all you need is 20 minutes for a decent workout. I'm starting to get back on track.

I found the following article at one of my favorite sites \ blogs:

From Running to Kettlebell Swings

[​IMG]by Jordan Vezina | July 9, 2008
    Filed in Articles , Running , featured , kettlebell | 1 comments

share it: digg | stumbleupon | del.icio.us (what are these?)

[​IMG]
    Jordan Vezina.

This is a guest post by strength trainer Jordan Vezina - From Running to Kettlebell Swings. Enjoy.

One thing we are always interested in regarding functional training is how it carries over into daily life, and other athletic events. A perfect example of this is running. Whenever a new client mentions that he or she runs I give them one piece of advice- "Don't." Interval sprints and the like can be healthy, but the general public labors under the delusion that running is the king of exercises, and since we all know that more must be better, running for hours on end must be great for you, right? You are correct, if your destination is to get to your coffin as quickly as possible, or become a functional cripple by your forties.
    If you engage in strength training and have proper running mechanics, you can avoid many of the negative effects associated with long slow distance running. However, most people do not have these things. Therefore they would be better off doing something with no impact on the joints, which combines resistance and cardio. I have just described a kettlebell swing.
    To be an efficient runner three of the primary things I need are strong lung capacity, good cardio, and strong legs. Again, I get all of these from kettlebell swings. If you were to engage in a progressive program of kettlebell training (heavy on the swings and snatches) with minimal running performed primarily for specificity you would find that you are a stronger runner than if you had only run.
    We know from weight training that the surest way to cease progress is to just keep lifting the weights and always trying to add more on. Yet this is how many (probably most) train for running. Come to think of it, this is how many people also train with weights.
    While I was with the California National Guard I had to take part in two of the Army Physical Fitness Tests, each of which required a two-mile run. I ran both tests in about 12:30-13:00 minutes. Not super fast, but I'm a poor runner. I finished ahead of about ninety percent of the battalion, most of whom were a decade younger than myself. I had not run a single mile on my own in about six months. What I had been doing was a boatload of swings. That's when I stopped running completely.
    Something else important to consider is the postural element of running. These same elements apply to biking, to an even greater degree. The big rage in the gyms is the spin class. Now, these do work you hard I agree, but is it worth the negative effects? Next time the spin class ends at your local gym watch everyone who walks out. Most of them will have slumped posture, forward heads, posterior pelvic tilts. Your body will adopt the posture that it perceives to be the norm. If you're hunched over your desk all day, hunched over the steering wheel in your car while commuting, hunched over a bike in a spin class, or hunched over as you run, why would your body suddenly adopt proper posture? It will adopt the posture that you are most consistently in. Now we come back to the kettlebell swing. What is my most common admonishment to clients learning the swing?
    "At the top of the swing you should be two straight lines. Straight up and down, and straight out to the bell."
    There is no room for slouching in the kettlebell swing. Doing this will only earn you bad form as well as back, shoulder, and elbow pain. Swings performed properly will continue to whack you back into shape, and along with properly performed Turkish Get Ups they will restore your shoulder and front panel flexibility.
    I understand that I can't stop you from running. Well I can, but I don't have enough duct tape and rope for all of you. So what I instead encourage you to do is swing your kettlebells and minimize the running to what you need in order to remain efficient at it.
    Jordan Vezina is a strength trainer in Palo Alto, CA and maintains a blog at http://averagetoelite.blogspot.com. He enjoys Fat Tire Ale, and thinks you will too.
    If you'd like to write a guest post for Straight to the Bar, let us know.

3. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

well in the phils. speaking of eskrima training. here we lack specific gym equipment used by western eskrima practitioners but still we prove that we are a better fighter even we lack modern gadgets. we do the traditional "amara" stick exercises for long period of hours. Run for couple of miles in the morning and afternoon. we dont have enough food supplements because its a bit' expensive so we dont limit in our diet since we lose so much weight and hard for us to maintain our weight deivision so we eat a lot of carbohydrates. we dont do much weight cause it could change the movement of our strikes, it could make our strikes slower. thats why if you noticed young filipino eskrimador atheles are very skinny but lightning fast in striking. maintaining a strict program in the training is a must to comply cause we are the bearer of our countries pride. some old masters lost their figure because of diet they may be overweight but he'll there still good and fast strikers. and to stay fit? its a must for an athlete but sometimes due to eating discipline some lost there physique. so maintain your fitness at all time discipline its for health benifits, you choose what you whant to be if you want to look fit with big muscles then go to the gym, if you want to be an eskrima athlete practice your "amara" daily. an amara a day makes a champion daily.

4. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

I'm not fit but I am trying. I found it hard not to be when doing FMA and it is embarrassing sometimes when I sweat like a pig.[​IMG]

I hate weights (even though I should) so I do allot of Cardio and I do amateur boxing twice a week. It helps my foot work and speed and I Lost 10 pounds already.

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Fitness is very, very important. I try to stay fit with a variety of different things from running, biking, mountain climbing,etc. Martial practice is another way I also stay fit. Every day for a couple of hours with lots and lots of movement. One staple that I have added is a Kettle Bell workout. I can do a very intensive ten to fifteen minute Kettle Bell workout and be exhausted afterwards where it is hard to go up and down stairs. Kettle Bells for me have brought back the joy I had when I first started weight lifting. [​IMG]

6. el maldito de cebu

I'am interested how kettle bells work. what are the benefits of kettle bells? i would just ask for curiosity. A lot of MFR kettle bell is one on their curicullum

7. geezer

geezer Member

I got out of the martial arts for 15 or 16 years. When I decided to come back to it, fitness was one of my concerns. At 5'8" with an average build, I was significantly overweight at 190 lbs. and really out of shape. At (then) 52, I also was dealing with limitations from old injuries. Well it took me five or six months to drop 40 lbs. and then about six more months to get so I could do more than 30-35 pull ups, well over a hundred push ups, jog up a steep mountain trail in good time and do enough ab drills to get back my six pack. And one part or another of my body was sore for the whole damn time.

Worse, the guys I train with didn't work at fitness half as hard and could easily beat the heck outta me with one hand. Literally. And, they may not be in perfect condition but the are strong. One of them is even "chubby". He smokes too. But when it comes to fighting, I guarantee you, he is positively dangerous.

So what's a 53 year-old-geezer to do? I'm scaling back the fanatical fitness stuff to a much more moderate and pleasant routine. I've allowed myself to gain back 5 to 10 pounds and can't see the six-pack so clearly anymore. I'm training with that chubby guy and his teacher on a regular basis. And, I'm finding that it's a lot harder to get good than just fit!

Now Phalanx, if you want to do UFC or full contact DBMA, I suggest you get as fit as you can. But if you are mainly looking for skills that will serve you for practical self-defense, I would suggest a more moderate approach. Of course you still have to be be strong, and strike with speed and power. But unlike cage fighting or contact stick sparring, a self defense situation doesn't go on for several rounds. At least not the way Chubbs and his teacher, Martin do it. At least, that's my take on it.

8. chubbybutdangerous

chubbybutdangerous CHUBBY MEMBER

:bow:I'm not one to talk about present fitness... but absolutely, being in good condition helps. I work out/teach at an mma gym. Recently a bunch of us (including a bjj instructor) were attending a seminar and part of it was on fitness including flexibility. Despite a few active fighters being present we all failed miserably especially in the flexibility department. The instructor for this part has 2 masters degrees in human physiology or something like that. He explained to me how at my level of martial arts, I'd be able to perform much higher level if my "overall" fitness was better. Of course, if I didn't smoke and wasn't so "chubby" it would be much better. But for sure your level of fitness will affect your performance. By the way I am trying to quit smoking and am thinking seriously of taking a yoga class at the gym, especially now that I only have to teach at one gym on the weekends.
    :beer2:

9. Dawn

Dawn New Member

For me it's very important. For a whole year I used to just train arnis. And then I started getting injuries from weak shoulders, weak ankles.. I learned my lesson and started strength training, even though I totally hate lifting weights. I hate it more than running.

But my arm is thankfully still attached because I got over my dislike for weights. I guess I love arnis more than I hate lifting metal, hahaha :wink2:

For arnis I train about 1-2 hrs, 3x a week, another 1-2 hrs 2-3x a week for general fitness and endurance. I get a whole day off to rest. I don't know what kind of training that is. Maybe it's enough not to get beat up too badly.

I let it affect my diet.. I didn't like eating meat before (i like fish and veggies) but now I eat a little more red meat than usual for the protein and iron. I'm laying off chocolates too so I keep my weight pretty stable at 54-55kg (about 120 lbs). One thing I've not been able to fix though is my sleeping pattern. It's too irregular. I take fitness as far as my diet is concerned, but I haven't taken it as far as my Zzzz's.

10. septs

septs New Member

fitness means health... thanks for a good post!

11. The Phalanx

For me, lately I've started on weights... Swinging the stick is good and all but I need to bulk up if I'm to fight in a Gathering...

I've used a lot of the known supplements already aka "legal steroids"... Some of the stuff I've used are Muscle Milk, Protein Shakes from EAS, Creatine, B12 tablets, Ginsing tablets, Gingko Biloba tablets, Super B Complex tablets, and even energy drinks like Monster and Full Throttle(Red Bull don't do anything for me)...

I don't take all that at the moment but some of them... I stopped taking Creatine a few years ago because it gave me some severe headaches but loved the way it gave me the energy and strength I needed when I was taking it... If I didn't have those headaches I'll still be taking Creatine... Honestly it's the best thing you can get on the market...

12. yomitche

yomitche New Member

I guess fitness, like everything else in life, requires a fine balance. Between professional and personal responsibilities, fitness sometimes suffers, as others here have pointed out.

I try to shoot for quality rather than quantity.

I workout in my basement, where I have a powerlifting cage, two sets of olympic weights, lots of hex dumbbells, a Universal gym (with cables), heavy bag, pull up bar, sit up bar, elliptical trainer, etc.

I do a 5x5 powerlifting program, trying to get in three days of work a week, but I no longer sweat it if I miss a day and make it up later. I shoot for quality and form rather than pushing max lifts. Too much volume and too much weight meant I was constantly living with nagging injuries and pain. I always hoovered around a 300lb unsupported bench, but my shoulder hurt. Heavy deadlifting made me worry about lower back injuries, etc. Moderation avoids that.

It is cool though, when I grab someone, they totally do not expect the strength that I have because I am kinda short and don't "look" like an athlete. Functional strength and power does not come from Ben Weider's workout program and often the strongest guys do not look the prettiest.

Between lifting activities (i.e. when I move from squat to bench), I do a three minute round on the heavy bag. This keeps HR elevated and reminds me of what my focus really is, plus it helps keep me loose. Ordinarily, this turns out to be 5 rounds on the heavy bag per weight lifting workout.

I shoot for interval work when I do aerobic activities such as running or exercising on the elliptical trainer. After warming up, I do 2 minute intervals divided by one minute "rest" periods. Therefore 20 min and 40 minute workouts are still quality efforts.

I also do some calisthenic and med ball work when ever I feel like it. Hindu squats, pushups, etc.

I no longer use dietary supplements other than a multi-vitamin, vitamin E and Fish oil (all of which promote general good health and have or promote anti-oxidant qualities). I agree that some supplements (such as creatine, multi-vitamins, protein, and glutamine) can be helpful, but think that bodybuilding supplementation may not be appropriate for martial artisits - -nor am I sure the payoff is worth the investment.

If you wanna be a bodybuilder, do it, but don't be fooled into believing that top bodybuilders look the way they do by lifting weights, eating vitamins, and saying prayers. Think steroids.

Of course, my exercise routine is in addition to any organized martial arts group activities. I try to center my exercise around my martial arts focus and work on functional strength rather than aesthetics, interval anaerobic/aerobic work to sustain me through a fight or sparring event, and try to live an overall healthy lifestyle.

That said, I still enjoy having a few beers when I want and never want to die with my last thought being:

"Dam*! I should've had the pizza at lunch!"

I am always open to new activies though. Thanks for sharing!

13. The Phalanx

I also have just been introduced to kettle bells lately by one of the guys I train with... I gotta say, if you gotta only have one workout equipment, this has to be it... It's an all body workout... It's not an isolation type of workout like how traditional weights are where you work a certain part of the body at a time...

I'm gonna get me one or to when I can... Especially during the Holidays, I'm gonna focus on my fitness a lot...

14. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

OOooh....now that sounds interesting. I'd like to look in to that more myself. I like strength training but recently I've been losing interest in weight lifting...not enough motion. I'd rather be climbing steps with a dumbbell in each hand...something that keeps the body moving, and not just standing or sitting on one place while a certain muscle group gets moved. Thanks for the suggestion!

15. el maldito de cebu

just an advice if I were you I'm gona work out on my cardio rather thatn in the anaerobic workout alone. the sports of eskrima does not rely on raw power but also stamina and smarts. you can only used amino tablets and creatinin than legal steroids its not a body building contest. a piece of advice if you have time try to run alot for stamina and practice alot of arnis hand movements. if you not convience I had a video on youtube of my last bout at a tournament I just look average physique against powerful opponent but my stamina did not fail me. try to watch on you tube el maldito de cebu. just an advice if your really are up to a tournament

Good luck
    el maldito de cebu

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I may try the kettlebells when I'm rehabbed from my knee...they've interested me for a while now (thanks to listening to the Systema folks at MT).

17. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I have said it before but kettle bells rock and really have reinvigorated my weight lifting! [​IMG]

18. The Phalanx

I personally wish that some schools train their students like how MMA gyms train their students... To the ground... Train them like they're going pro...

19. el maldito de cebu

if thats the case student well be runing and stop thier determination we must handle them gradually thats the reason that is why there is different curriculum for all different students

20. WuLord187

WuLord187 Albo Kali Silat Student

The more you sweat the less you bleed. I recommend free weights (dumbells, barbells, bricks, buckets of water, center blocks, kettle bells, siblings, offspring, etc.). Also try out yoga, pilates, swimming, and dance classes. Make sure you include running and healthy foods. I cross train in with MMA ametur fighters and boxers. I also compete in dance, semi & full contact sport fighting, and martial arts forms competitions too which maintain my cardio, agility, and flexibility. I average about 7 hours a week on weighting training and cardio. During the winter months I tend to get little bit lazy and demotivated. It all depends on what type of body you want and what physical abilities you want to achieve. Being in shape makes a difference in combat either in sport or life and death, because sometimes you might have to run and jump fences. Also try getting the Men's Health Book Of Muscle.

By the way The Phalanx are you fan of Assassins Creed