Filipino Swords--Pictures.

Discussion in 'Misc. Sword Arts' started by arnisador, Mar 14, 2006.

1. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

I was going to post the photos, but I couldn't get the html's to work from this lightning fast 56k connection. [​IMG] It is the thickest blade I have right now, even thicker than my Garab. Out of the tortoise shell sheath it weighs in at 3lbs 1oz and she so fat, 13/32" thick and 26 5/8" long. The only Ginunting I know of that might be heavier is Pendakar's, his is like 31 7/8" long or so, maybe longer I am not sure. I had it at John's P.I.G. two years ago at our first Sandata Show.

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

At least I'm not the only one....

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

My cable modem is your cable modem, dude!

Here's what Mr. Snow e-mailed me (downgraded in image quality to fit the site's file size requirements):

Attached Files:

4. R. Mike Snow

I was way offf about Pendakar's Ginunting.........it's 33 7/8" in length. I will try to get us a shot of that monster next to a normal sized Ginunting and 28" baston.

Thanks Arnisador!

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Nice blade Mike! [​IMG]

6. R. Mike Snow

Thanks Brian,

Iam going to try to put a couple of more photos up later tonight when there are not as many people using the phone lines, hopefully that will help. John told me that you have blades too, got any pics for us?

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

If you have trouble, e-mail them to me! (Use my work e-mail--it has a larger capacity.) I finally figured out how to shrink them which was my big holdup.

8. Brian R. VanCise

Hey Mike I will try and dust off a few of the antiques and take photos soon. [​IMG]

9. R. Mike Snow

Kool........Brian, can't wait!

10. Taal-Water

Taal-Water New Member

dahong palay

Hi,
    Those Typhoon swords (http://www.typhoon-gear.com/products.htm) look excellent. Solid, practical--and the ginunting is supposed to be quite well balanced. (Thanks for the review, Brian.)

Does anybody have any opinions about their dahong palay? How authentic is the design (not that that's so vital for a blade designed with modern military specs in mind)? My family's from Batangas, and I don't remember anybody calling any blade a "dahong palay".

Also, I wonder how it would feel in the hand. And how practical it would be to do what the blades I've seen in Batangas do: that is, cut coconuts, wood, brush...

11. R. Mike Snow

Wow, I was really hoping to see some sweet blades on here. It's always nice to drool over someone else's pieces and give out an excited "CONGRATUALATIONS" to someone that picks up a true piece of art and/or a truly historical find.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  12. davidtorez

davidtorez New Member

I would like to comment on Rons weaponry. These weapons are made of better steel than the antique steel (damascus type) and are more homogeneous in their carbon content being made from 5160 spring steel. While this may not be the traditional steel which was used by the pandays of the Philippines, it still is a better steel which holds up to much abuse without loosing its edge in a hurry. As these are not made to be collectibles in my opinion, they do make great training tools for cutting and or solo practice. I have a pinute from traditionalfilipinoweapons.com and it has a superb balance, and very very sharp. I would never use an antique sword for cutting anything as I would be too afraid of ruining something that has been passed down for generations, and would ultimately result in its destruction or devaluation.

Have a good one.

David Torez

13. ThePepperskull

ThePepperskull New Member

I agree and disagree with people here who naysay Ron's "Traditional Filipino Weapons" wares. I can see where you guys are coming from but at the same time, you need to understand how others here may see things.

No, the pandays at TFW do not make historically accurate swords, you're right about that. YES, they do advertise them as being such. BUT you need to also realize that this is done in almost every sword company. Albion, Depeeka, Cas Iberia have all misadvertized their product at one point in time but that does not mean they're not functional.

On the contrary actually. The nontraditional construct of these weapons stems from the market of people who are into functional "Beaters". Basically, swords that will take as much punishment as humanly possible. From the metal used to the forging process to the end result, they come out being tough. Sometimes tougher than the traditionally made counterparts. This is due to a trend in modern sword collectors' called "Destruction testing" to abuse these blades until they break or have nothing left to cut with.

On that same token, however, we must examine the intended usage of actual traditinal filipino bladed weapons. The pinuti, as a working tool for example, is forged to have a softer HRC (Hardness scale) than, say, a pinuti from Ron's TFW website. Does that mean it's worse? no. Does that mean it's better? not necessarily. It just means that for most of the time, the only thing that a pinuti is meant to be used for is for softer targets. Brush clearing, butchering, etc etc. This softer forging on the HRC scale is NOT a sign of inferiority, it is so that it can have a sharper edge and once it dulls, it can be sharpened more easily. It's not recommended, but if you did a destruction test on a TFW blade, it would cut through some harder wood like pine while retaining its edge (which is ideally less sharp than a pinuti made by, say, jun silva from Cebu). the Phillippines does not have a lot of woods that hard (aside from kamagong, of course) and thus a pinuti doesn't need to be that hard on the HRC scale on account of it not being used as an axe. The HRC hardening on more modern "Beaters" is simply overkill, but overkill that several collectors or users find desirable, including myself at times.

AND I'm glad that they're still being made in the Philippines as opposed to being outsourced in other countries for modernized 'beater' production. Daniel Foronda Does amaing work with the TFW blades. Being baguio-made may not make something like a kris completely authentic, but once you see the quality in the sword you'd be proud to say it was made withing the borders of home... Even if visually it looks very oversimplified. Again, I treat them as austere, bare-balls minimum-looking functional training tools. They lack the beauty of a layered steel, okir-design on the hilt kind of kris, but I believe the beauty of these replicas are in the details/function.

This non-traditional build of traditional-looking silhouettes is common not only in filipino blades, but among european swords and swords from cultures around the world. It is not uncommon. Is it a sign of Globalization? Perhaps. Will our traditions be sacrificed for over-the-top function? Maybe, but I certainly doubt it. Although globally we're getting a reputation in the Philippines as makers of some of the toughest modern 'beaters' on the market... and our people are known for adaptation. It's what we do best and it's what keeps us strong as filipinos.

Look at the Kris for example. I bet you when it evolved from the javanese keris and became in the islands the more commonly known Mindanao-type kris, Indonesians would have looked at them as complete deviations from what was originally their design. In part they would have been right, but also in part, it became to me a symbol of what is distinctly Filipino. This is how I see this particular issue.

Basically I believe the issue most of you have with TFW's blades is authenticity as opposed to function. Someone referred to these as "wallhangers". I believe they're too ugly to be displayed because they obviously do not look exactly authentic, but the blade geometry on these is amazing and they cut like demons.

14. Brian R. VanCise

Hey Mike,

This will warm your soul! (from my collection)

Attached Files:

15. R. Mike Snow

Ah yes, thank you Brian! Mow I have that warm cozy feeling in my heart. Congratulations! I have a similar Talibong, must be from the same panday....... : )

16. R. Mike Snow

OOOOPPSS! I just realized that I mistyped on several posts.

Binangon or Binanggong, not Bingon

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Beautiful!

18. Brian R. VanCise

Thanks guy's!

Well I am out of here on vacation so everyone enjoy the beautiful 4th of July weather! [​IMG]

19. Brian R. VanCise

No doubt they are from the same panday! [​IMG]

20. ThePepperskull

ThePepperskull New Member

beautiful! I love the inclusion of the hand guard extending over the knuckles. :)