filipino sheilds

Discussion in 'General' started by adam t babb, Jun 1, 2008.

1. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

any one know of or how make filipino sheilds i am intrested in making some

2. geezer

geezer Member

Do you mean one of the round "dinner-plate" or buckler style shields, or one of the taller rectangular jobs with three spikey knobs at the top and two at the bottom? I'm sure there are a zillion other kinds too, judging from how diverse the PI's are culturally. As for me, I like the old style metal trash can lids. You used to be able to snatch one up in any alley. Good for defense and you could even wing 'em at people 'Captain America' style. Anyway, I don't have a clue as how to actually make the real thing. Why do you want to know... are you planning to train with one?

3. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

posibly train with it see how compares in handling to the eurpean sheilds but i preticuly like that spiky one

4. Guro Marc

Guro Marc New Member

Making a shield

I have several Filipino shields and have looked the manufacturing methods. They are made out of plywood, the about 3/8-1/2 inch thick, the plywood is soaked then molded to a curved shape. The center rounded piece made out of wood and is glued and braded to main body of the shield. The straps are attached to two half round sticks that are nailed and braded to the front main piece. The two straps are made of heavy belt leather. They are painted and the ends have a rope boarder that is glued and nailed. If you just want buy a shield contact Spar Gear. I think the website is spargear.com , and they stock them.

5. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

fillapino sheilds

thank you for the help