Filipino Recipe Exchange

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob Hubbard, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

Just a friendly thread to share some cultural delights. I enjoy a wide range of foods, but have yet to sample anything Filipino to my knowledge. So, what do you like, what do you recommend, and what should we avoid? ;)

2. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Well, I love Chicken (and Pork) Adobo, Pancit Luglug, Pancit Sotanghon, Pancit Palabok, Lechon Kawali, Korean BBQ, Pinakbet, Lumpia, Tocino, Longanisa, Crispy Pata, Kare Kare, Rellenong Bangus, Fried Tilapia, Spam & Eggs ... had Arroz Caldo for dinner last night...

Not a big fan of Balut (duck eggs) or "chocolate meat" (Dinuguan). Mom always made me eat it, but maybe that's why I avoid it today.

Deserts: MUST HAVE: Leche Flan, Ube, Halo Halo (with Makapuno and Jack Fruit!), Bibingka, Suman, Puto, Mamon...

Great, now I'm hungry!

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've eaten Filipino food before but haven't really caught the names of what I've eaten!

Hey, me too!

4. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I love Palabok!

I don't think I'd be up for a Balut either... ;)

5. 408kali

408kali New Member

My favorite dish is Chicken Adobo (the national dish of the Philippines) served over steamed white rice.

I happen to LOVE Dinuguan (Chocolate Meat) over steamed white rice.

Balut I was just telling my co-worker that I would have to be DRUNK on some strong Tequila to eat it!! It's a duck egg with an embryo in it!

Did I mention that I like steamed white rice? :p

I will post some tremendous Adobo recipes, just let me get them all together.

You will all be salivating by the time you're done reading the ingredients, that's a promise!

Oh and somebody post a recipe for Dinuguan please!!!

6. shrapnel

shrapnel New Member

I like kare-kare, crispy pata, mechado, sizzling bulalo, pancit malabon, pancit palabok, bangus belly, lechon kawali and this specialty pancit in Lucena city called chami. All are high in cholesterol so I only eat them on special occassions. Unfortunately, I've seen how dinuguan is made and I've lost my taste for that dish ever since then.

For dessert, there's halo-halo (with ice cream and pinipig) and leche flan.

For drinking sessions, nothing beats a shot of lambanog with crispy chicharon.

7. [maybe this is another topic, but is related to our beloved filipino food]

man, now you see why a lot of us are getting overweight!.. i sure am... eating all that good stuff that is fried in oil and heavily salted...

a very well known filipino-american professor of mine in SFSU dedicated a class about us how the wonderful food is killing us thru high blood pressure, heart attacks, strokes... here in the San Francisco Bay Area its not hot like the Philippines (Asia) where we can sweat more...

we've evolved to where we now have "desk" jobs, drive everywhere, have MickyD's Drive thru's and even drive to the gym!... crazy man...

BUT I STILL LOVE FILIPINO FOOD!!!!! I LOVE ALL THE ABOVE, but gotta add Calding/Kambing (goat)... now i just gotta cut back in eating it....

Now, if only i can stop drinking hard alcohol (but keep eating palutan!) like my dad and uncles!.. hahahaha...

Cap.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  8. 408kali

408kali New Member

Hi All,

Last night I made my version of our old family recipe of Chicken Adobo for my wife and family, so while it's fresh in my mind I thought I'd share my newest (delicious =) interpretation with you all. I serve it with sticky pineapple rice (steamed with a little pineapple juice, water, and pineapple chunks) and an accompanying dish I always make: different colors of squash and chinese eggplant fried in butter, olive oil and fresh garlic.

Chicken Adobo Montes

*Chicken (I use legs and thighs- you may use whatever chicken parts you like)

*1/2 cup water

*1/2 to 1/3 cup Pineapple juice

*3/4 to 1 cup pineapple chunks or mango chunks (or BOTH! :)

*1/2 to 2/3 cup Coconut milk

*1/4 cup Fish Sauce (optional)

*1 1/4 cups Soyo (aka "Soy Sauce"- I use low sodium)

*5 Bay leaves

*1 tsp pickling spice

*10 peppercorns

*5-6 cloves of fresh garlic, smashed well with the blunt end of a wide kitchen knife or Barong (lol)

*fresh whole ginger, about 1/2 of one nice sized root, thinly sliced

*1 tsp Paprika

Directions:

Put pickling spice and Bay leaves together in cheesecloth or a tea steeper.

Place all ingredients (including the chicken) in a wide pot and marinate overnight, making sure not to overfill the pot (this will damper the marinating process and not allow your chicken to absorb the marinade)

cook on low heat at least 3 hours -or- medium heat for 2 hours (I cook on the low setting)

You may also use a slowcooker set to low from noonish then set it on simmer when it's done. I do that usually...

*Notes:

If serving lots of people, use more than one pot to marinate and cook.
    Also, make sure you've made room in your refridgerator prior to preparing the ingredients.

*For Pork Adobo:
    no marinating is necessary (you may choose to marinate for a little while in the fridge). Simply boil for about an hour (or til thoroughly cooked) then brown in a pan in some of the juice and return to the pot to serve.

I hope you like it!

~John

PS- This dish is guaranteed to make you a better Eskrimador..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  9. 408kali

408kali New Member

Foods to avoid...

I avoid Balut! It's a duck egg with an embryo cooked and eaten whole (feathers and all! yuck!)

I know peeps who swear by it, but... I sure as hell don't!

And- Dinuguan (alt. "Chocolate Meat") is great over rice. If you ever get a chance to eat some homemade, don't pass it up esp. if the cook in question has a rep for making it right.
    It's made with spiced pork blood, but if you've eaten Chorizo, then in essence it's very similar except that Chorizo, along with blood, is spicy, and has odds and ends shall we say heh!
    My favorite dish right along with Chicken Adobo.. lumpia.. pancit.. dang I'm hungry!!

10. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Ahh Balut...I love it...Diniguan blood stew as we call it is excellent. I am not to fickle about food in any way shape or form..I will eat the ass out of a dead alligator if I am hungry enough. In Camotes with Master Yuli I witnessed and joined in eating jelly fish right from the water also the heads of the octopus right out of the sea...etc....as they say when in Rome....and a bit of Tuba to boot.

Anytime you travel the globe you will come across the taboo dishes as they are proclaimed here in the west but they are good. I have feasted on Dog in Korea, Monkey, Snake, Turtle....hell even had scorpion on a tortilla with some extremely hot peppers in Vera Cruz, Mexico....it's all good to me though!

11. citom

citom New Member

Balut is the best! I remember that episode of Fear Factor where one of the challenges was to eat balut.. while the contestants were choking I was laughing at them cause I could eat of 6 of those suckers in two minutes..
    Balut is "pampalakas ng tuhod" or "knee strengthener" as we say in the 'Pinas..

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

No special holiday recipes?

13. citom

citom New Member

14. Mariah

Mariah Lean, Mean when necessary

while I was in the Philippines in the end of July 2008 for the WEKAF world championships, I got my chance to eat my 1st Balut in Manila. My dad was there with me and he didn't get good enough pic's for the 1st one, so he ask me to eat another one (no problem, tastes like chicken!)
    It wasn't bad at all.
    you can see it at..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CounUtyVCI&feature=channel_page

15. citom

citom New Member

Balut is unhatched duck embryo..

16. citom

citom New Member

Nice video, Mariah! Makes me wish I was back in Manila...

17. pguinto

pguinto New Member

I wish people would stop referring to dinuguan as chocolate beef. There's nothing chocolate about it. Calling it such can only make people hate the dish even more, because it evokes promises of something sweet (like tocino) and instead get something sour as it is more akin to a vinaigrette. Peeps are better off refering to it as Blood Stew or Black Pork Vinaigrette, which is exactly what i tell people whenever asked about the dish, and that despite its one unsavory sounding ingredient, it is still one of my favorite filipino dishes. There's nothing to be ashamed of, many cultures around the world have blood dishes; ie Irish Blood Sausage, Baltic Blood Pancakes, and even Black Pudding. Btw as a rice alternative, dinuguan tastes quite nice served with puto.

Balut is a very good dish; the juice and the yoke is just awesome. But i prefer the bird to be very young, barely formed; the more mature it is the more it looks like a duckling, and therefore the less appealing it is to my american sensibilities, even though it tastes the same, tolerable but i prefer it less crunchy. You can always suckle the juice, pour vinegar inside, enjoy the yoke, and pass the bird.

Alas Ice Buku is nowhere to be found, the closest thing is Mexican Paletas.

My absolute favorite pinoy dish is Torta, think of it as an eggplant omelet. Kare kare (a peanut sauce Beef Stew) comes a close second.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  18. tellner

tellner New Member

Filipino Recipes?

:) I can feel my tastebuds applauding...

...and my arteries hardening :(

19. TheSilentOne

TheSilentOne New Member

I have never eaten Filipino food and the closest thing I have eaten is Indian chicken curry over rice and the Puerto Rican yellow spanish rice over chicken.

I would like to try filipino food as long as it is not pork or fish or has eggs in it. I try to not say I am a picky eater but I guess it shows. :)

20. citom

citom New Member