Filipino LEO Riot Stick Training?

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Feb 25, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Watching and reading the news about the recent coup attempt in the Phil. and its fallout, I see many pictures of Phil. police with riot batons (e.g., here; the local paper had a much better image of police with riot sticks). I always wonder how much FMA influence there is in their training regarding these weapons, or to what extent they just use generally accepted police training methods as used here in the States. I read often about FMA teachers training LEOs in the Phil., but usually it seems to be a one-off thing or at least an 'extra'. I know Maung Gyi developed some riot baton tactics based on Bando that are used by some groups.

Are the (riot and other) baton techniques taught to LEOs in the Phil. based on FMA teachings, or on international LEO teachings? It would be a shame if they didn't use FMA, yet I see the value in following the accepted international standards.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Arnis group slates Oido training

Not fully on point, but discussion of Oido de Caburata Arnis (ODCA) training for Barangay Public Safety officers.

3. shrapnel

shrapnel New Member

In one of the news shows here, there was a segment about women police officers doing riot control duty. One footage showed a pair of them doing sinawali while waiting for deployment, so I would assume that riot police are at least taught the most basic arnis strikes. As to how extensive their training is, I'm not really so sure.

4. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Riot Baton

I would think that the training is basic but effective, and that FMA influence varies according to whether or not an organization is contracted to provide training.

The videos I've seen show that in skirmish or clearing situations you can use one-handed technique but against a large crowd when LEO's are in a line they generaly use two-handed technique or prefer to use shields to move a crowd with the baton as a backup.

A LEO that I know told me that he never uses the lanyard when facing a large crowd because there's too much danger of being dragged into the crowd with your own weapon.

Police tactics are a science in and of themselves. I once watched a mounted patrol officer move a 200 + pound pedophile away from a group of school children simply by reaching down and grabbing his jacket at the shoulder and telling his horse to move backwards six feet. How do you fight a horse? Beautiful to watch.

Best,

Steve Lamade

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Make policemen use the ‘batuta’

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

In the barrios back in the 70s and 80s, whenever the nightly watch changed over, their standard issue equipment changeover was a rattan stick that was carried.. My father in law was part of the barangay watch and there was plenty of times when he would leave the house with a batuta under his arm with his lunch in the other.. The training might have been rudimentary because he was a part of the barangay watch before I even moved to the Philippines.. But then again, we had a platoon of the Philippine constabulary in the barangay also just incase the NPA came knocking..

Batutas are/were a part of every day life in the barangay watch days.. Less problems there than now..