Fighting Stick belonging to Mang Ben

Discussion in 'Lightning Scientific Arnis' started by Shaun, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Hi Folks.Rightly,there is a lot of interest in bahi or kamagong tapered and balanced fightning sticks.

These have a completely different feel to a symetrical hardwood stick that has not been shaped.

They are a joy to behold and roll in your hand effortlessly.

Here is one of Mang Ben's personal bahi fightning sticks which he gave to me many years ago.Note the steel on the tip and butt of the stick.

It will always belong to Mang Ben.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ryno

Ryno New Member

That steel cap is an excellent idea to help prevent splitting, which I have experienced with bahi over time. I've never had them break across the grain, but if you hit them right on the tip, sometimes it'll cause a split.

Kamagong however I've had break straight through. Stick to stick with kamagong is just a bad idea. I've seen many kamagong sticks from numerous sources break catastrophically. I personally see it as a showpiece stick because it is so pretty and has such good weight. I've got one next to my bed for home defense and figure it'd be good to whack someone with, but I wouldn't trust it in a duel against another stickfighter.

Hey, have any of you guys tried hickory? It's supposedly quite good in absorbing impact (sledgehammer handles, baseball bats) and is a lot easier to get here in the US.

3. chamber

chamber New Member

Mang Ben's Fighting Stick

thanks for sharing Shaun! i hope i could get a Mang Ben stick in the near future....:biggrinbo

4. pguinto

pguinto New Member

i just got 2 pairs of hickory: 24" and 20" pairs from www.kalieskrima.com
    ive only whacked them a few times, but im not used to the feel yet,
    definitely dont absorb like rattan, so i was leary it would crack

one of my friends/instructors called me a wuss, i told him it was my first pairs so i kinda didnt wanna crack them
    wth, when i chance i will whack them and get back to you....

[​IMG]

5. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Kamagong vs Bahi

Hey guys.I know what you mean Ryan. Kamagong can be unreliable and the problem is there is no indication as to durability when examined.

I think it is pretty much accepted by most Arnisadors that bahi is a better choice for fighting stick.

Hickory looks really cool.The fact that it is easy to get in the States is a huge
    advantage.I have not tried hickory,but I will look for some.

English oak also makes awesome sticks.

6. Supremo

Supremo New Member

hi Shaun,

I'm actually intrigued with the stick that Mang Ben gave my uncle. Aunt Maribel said it's beautifully crafted and she still has it in her possession. Probably Ryan and the rest of the Seattle guys have seen it before.

7. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Hi Tom.I would love to see that stick.

Master Elmer had eye for good sticks.

I remember in his backpack, he always carried around a short kamagong.

8. GLENNLOBO

GLENNLOBO New Member

sticks and caps

hey Shaun. where or how do i get caps for my sticks. if you can next time, can you have a look at my bahe sticks and tell me which would be good to taper, and i'll give it a go..

9. Supremo

Supremo New Member

My uncle used to carry this small kamagong stick that is oval in shape, i really like that stick. he gave also gave me a small kamagong but its octagonal in design, with edges. i have other short kamagongs i bought in baguio but I'm not sure where I can have it designed. Any idea Shaun?

10. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Hi Tom.Do you still have that same stick that(your Uncle) Master Elmer used to carry? I would love to see it again.

I remember you showed me, I think it was the short octagonal kamagong you use, last time I was over?

A friend of mine over here, seems to have the right idea with regards to getting the balance and shape just right for the 27 inch bahi.

There is a system Mang Ben used to keep the steel cap on the end and the butt.If you dont get it right the caps can fly off.
    I will PM you about this.

11. Supremo

Supremo New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Supremo

Supremo New Member

[​IMG]

13. Supremo

Supremo New Member

[​IMG]

14. Supremo

Supremo New Member

Shaun here's some pics of my short stick :)

15. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Really nice Tom.I think that was the one you brought to 'sunday school'?

So handy and not illegal to carry if you are a practicing martial artist.

16. Supremo

Supremo New Member

Yes Shaun, but I usually carry my retractable baton than my kamagong, hehe! This stick is nothing compared to the one owned by my uncle, I'm sure you have seen that one Shaun :)