Fight Pix

Discussion in 'FAQ' started by The Phalanx, Oct 27, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Anybody got some pix or videos of themselves in action?

I would post some of mine if I can figure out this code thing... When I try to post a pic or video, only the code shows up and the pix or videos don't get embedded...

Can anybody help?

2. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Try going to www.photobucket.com

It is free. Upload your pictures, then post the link here on your forum.

Or become a supporting member. Shoot Datu Hartman (or any of the moderators) a PM for information. Good luck

God Bless,
    Stephen
    DTS Florida

3. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

A supporting membership is currently only $15/year. It'll be going up shortly.

You get several extra perks, larger avatar, more PM space, access to new features, and upload ability.

To sign up, goto the USERCP link above, then click Paid Subscriptions, then pick "Supporting Membership"

4. The Phalanx

Here are some of the Dog Brothers Hawai'i Clan doing some sparring with padded rattan...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. The Phalanx

[​IMG]

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Are those smak sticks I see them using?

7. The Phalanx

Padded rattan...

8. silat1

silat1 Active Member

What? No live stick sparring?. Man, and I thought you were following the dog brothers type of training from what I have read in your postings..

:rofl::roflmao:

9. The Phalanx

I train to fight in a Gathering yes... But we're not stupid enough to fight with live-stick all the time... You can if you want to... We have jobs... I did not metion in any of my posts that I fight live-stick... I said I train to be in a Gathring... Obviously you're just looking to be a condescending dick...

10. Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

I would suggest that more could be learnt without shin pads / knee pads / gloves if you are using padded weapons but I guess most people have got work on Mondays!

11. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I have a job that I like rather well.. Its in the law enforcement field and realistic training helps in understanding in my ability to accept pain and still do my job.. You learn to survive any confrontations by training realistically and with this mindset helps you over come any possible injuries by learning to fight intelligently and compensating for the possibility of sustaining injuries that would/could limit your survivability when the chips are down

And when did I stoop to the level of resorting to name calling.. Only people who are running out of the ability to converse intellectually resort to name calling.. All my questions have been in response to what you have posted and in no way have resorted to name calling..

12. The Phalanx

If you want to have food on your plate yes... And my job requires for me to be at 100% without a slight injury... Even a sprain can put me out of commission...

I already have noted this many times on this forum... If anybody hasn't read it, that is their problem and not mines...

13. The Phalanx

Yet you being condescending with your replies is ok? You reply to me like I don't know what I am talking about... So I replied back with a remark that reflects what you replied about my training...

14. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Ok, one more question.. Have you ever felt the bite of raw rattan in a sparring match.. This is what is used primarily in the dog brother gatherings from what I have seen.. If you are used to taking the hits from padded rattan and then getting hit with the real thing, you might be in for a rude awakening..

15. silat1

silat1 Active Member

My job allows me to put food on my families table whether I am injured or not.. But my job also requires me to be capable to fight and survive with any type of injury if it happens.. As a cop, you can never tell what the shift will entail as far as responding to calls.. It is with this ability to continue with my duties with or without injuries that allow me to do what I am asked to do..

I did the first half of my life working as a medic in the military and had to do the same thing when called upon to do so.. I have spent several days and weeks with one of my arms in a sling and with several back injuries.. That never stopped me from my doing my job completely, I just learned how to compensate for the injuries with other assets available..

16. The Phalanx

Not sparred live-stick yet no... Will I be in for a rude awakening? I don't think so... I won't just jump into a Gathering not knowing what to expect or not know how it feels like to get hit by a stick like a moron...

As soon as the Holidays are over and everybody in the clan can get back to training regularly I will train myself to get hit by a rattan... I have already set up a sparring match with one of the guys to do a live thin-stick match and go about 50%-60% on each other... To learn to get over the fear of the stick and learn to get hit by it... That plan was also put to a halt due to his schedule... But like what I said, when the Holidays are over we can get back to business...

I have not been able to join the guys on a regular basis due to complications in my schedule for the past few months... So my training is behind... My schedule is free now but theirs isn't...

Like what I said also, MA is not my primary goal right now and I can't risk an injury... So I am not going to focus too much on something that I consider a part-time hobby...

17. The Phalanx

My job is a care home operator... Meaning I take care of patients in my home 24/7... If I recieve an injury that will slow me down it will slow down my routine and put my patients at risk...

18. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Part time hobby studying martial arts and exclusively the FMA? My, My, this gets better and better as we go along.. My training is also a hobby, but the question is why do something half assed if you are going to do it at all.. I train when my schedule allows also, but I still train.. I work 90 day schedules with varying duty hours and yet still find time to train.. Its called having the dedication to doing something you like and can use as a stress reliever.. You don't always have to spend the time sparring, you can hit the tires, do your carrenza (shadow boxing) or even do your abcedario by yourself if you don't have a training partner..

Thin stick sparring is like getting hit with a switch.. From what I have seen of the dog brothers gatherings, the sticks there are a minimum of 3/4 inch in diameter if not larger. Ive seen people show up and fight with wooden boken against staff and various thickness of sticks.. What size of stick do you think they are going to use in the gatherings? It is usually up to the individual to chose his stick size, if I am correct..

I have had to do solo training as of late due to my students having jobs that require them to be off island for an undetermined length of time, but they still train whereever they are as do I.. Excuses not to train because of lack of training partners is unacceptable in my view.. But then again, I train because I like it and it helps relieve the stress of the job and allows me not to take it home and burden my family with the situations that I face during a shift..

This type of training and use of my training time as a stress reliever is something that I have been using for decades, It is called dedication to a hobby that I enjoy that I continue to do it the way I have..

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Please, keep the conversation polite and professional.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

20. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

My guys and I used to train with ONLY live stick. We fought every weekend and never sustained an injury that kept us out of work. (Stick hickey, bruises, cuts, slight sprain, scrapes). Were we lucky? No I don't think so, we had fencing mask, hockey gloves, sometimes shin pads and a little skill.

We learned how not to get hit by first bring hit. You will see that after the first time you spar with a live stick you will give it a lot more respect then the padded stick. But the padded stick has it's place!

The only time anyone of us sustained injury was after we started working out with guys from another school. One of my guys got knocked out by a overhand right while defending against the stick attach.

We now have rules of engagement which is the smart thing to do. My I recommend having rules, stop in the clinch, stick only, anything goes if you feel the urge. Whatever the rules make it clear before the match begins. I think at the DB gatherings they establish a set of guide lines before each bout. This way you can develop your skill in a semi controlled environment and not go over the edge. You might like it. But it also scares people, too.

I have evolved away from this way of sparing 90% of the time. Now most of the time we use 3/4" live stick with lightweight hand and arm pad. Hand, arm, body,legs are targets. We no longer have the need to hit the head for training. We don't go all out. We explore and discover. With kids and people unsure of their skill level we train with padded sticks.

With my master we use live stick and little or no hand pads. We have control and trust that neither of us will hurt the other. There is always a freak event but you learn to live with it. We also go harder and he beats me with the padded stick! Like I said the padded stick has it's place.

Let us know the first time you get to fight with the live stick! It will change your attitude, your outlook on what really works, your pride and your ego. You will get humbled, at least I did. The smallest nerd can light you up! It really is a lot of fun.

Go light, 3/4" or less. You do not have to beat each other with clubs. Be smart, fight smart and stay safe.

God Bless,
    Stephen