Feeling

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by mi1990, Mar 23, 2011.

1. mi1990

mi1990 New Member

Why does Balintawak feels like boxing with sticks instead of swinging sticks at each other like other FMA's ?

2. Gulogod

Gulogod New Member

You can't swing the stick that close.

3. malcolmk

malcolmk Member

If you are really close then use the butt although it is still possible to use the end (striking end) of the stick even within grappling range, choosing appropriate targets and maybe look at using abanico strikes for instance.

4. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Well the version I was taught you can strike that close. You have to the proper body mechanics, but one can do it.

As to the feel of boxing, it uses the stikes from the hips and concentrates on strikes and not cuts or follow through. The the weight placement is similar to boxing for a feel.

5. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

Balintawak footwork is linear; much like boxing footwork.

Balintawak uses the stick as a stick, not as a training substitute for a blade. Striking techniques with an impact weapon are linear; much like a punch or using a hatchet or hammer.

Robert

6. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Seems like it is because of the training of reflexes and the range ( being similar ). Like in this video. I can't really speak for other FMAs though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWkwyLkY6Fs

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  7. Gulogod

Gulogod New Member

The video says 'mara-mara'. What does it mean?

8. free2flow

free2flow New Member

It is one of the drills done in WOTBAG wherein you are given problems/situations so you could practice applying your lesson/technique. For example in the video above, the lesson is disarming. The idea and objective of the drill is simple, but beauty is in the details and depth, when used by a skillful teacher. This drill is done after you mastered and understand the basics of Teovel taught in the grouping lessons.

9. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

I forgot what these words actually translate/interpret to. Mara-mara, sana-sana. Do you know the translation Ritche?

10. free2flow

free2flow New Member

Sorry, I don't :).

11. Gulogod

Gulogod New Member

I thought it's an ordinary Cebuano word.

12. armas

armas Junior Member

I remember enteng telling me Mara mara or sana sana is a counter for counter drill. Where you solve a problem given. It is a non cooperative drill random in nature. Tama ba Ritchie? But the literal translation I did not get.

13. free2flow

free2flow New Member

Yes, you're correct on your description. This is the time where you practice "solving" a given problem(s) by applying your Balintawak knowledge and skill (both defensively and offensively) in a non-cooperative play against somebody more experienced than you. If I understood it correctly, groupings acts as the preparatory drills so once you get introduced to mara-mara/sana-sana stage, basics is less of an issue already.
    As far as literal translation, I don't know. I'll have to ask Monie or Eddie on this.