Export Pistol to Philippines?

Discussion in 'Marksmanship Arts' started by PiKanoy, May 11, 2009.

1. PiKanoy

PiKanoy New Member

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to export a pistol to the Philippines to give to someone as a gift? I have been researching the ATF website, and will continue to do so, but I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this sort of thing.

2. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Generally not.

3. silat1

silat1 Active Member

While talking to some of the Filipino pistol shooters who shoot matches regularly in the Philippines, I was told the following information... If you want to take a pistol or any firearm to the Philippines, you have to request permission a minimum of 21 days and get approval from the NBI and PNP even before going to the Philippines with your weapon.. There was a situation a few years ago where someone tried to take a weapon to the Philippines and once it went through the security there, the individual was met on the other side and placed in handcuffs which lead to a couple of weeks in jail if I remember right.. As far as exporting weapons to the Philippines, you would have to check with the export laws about firearms being exported outside of the country.. The BATF only takes care of weapons brought into and illegal weapons within the stateside border.. Hell, I can't get a weapon brought in to Guam which is a United States territory unless I have a FFL or firearms dealer who has a FFL do the paperwork.. On top of that, it usually costs a minimum of 50-75.00 for a firearms transfer within the states if you are not able to purchase the weapon face to face along with the waiting time that is required now.. So as far as exporting a weapon to the Philippines, you should check with the US Customs and see if it is possible, but from past experience alonng with conversations with people who do this on a competitive basis on an international stage, I would not even try to do this unless you have deep pockets and a lawyer on speed dial.

4. Carol

Yup.

5. Carol

Yup.

6. PiKanoy

PiKanoy New Member

Thanks Silat1. I definately can't afford a single day in any Jail, anywhere. If I am to find a way to do this, it would be 100% within the laws of both the US and the Philippines. I'm sure it is not impossible, but it certainly looks as if it's not easy either. Perhaps by design it's simply more trouble than it's worth.

I have someone on the other end looking into the laws locally and I also have a contact in the PNP in Tacloban. I would still have time to request the proper authorization from the NBI and PNP.

Perhaps it's easier to deal directly with the licensed dealers on both sides?

7. Carol

Even there you will likely run in to issues.

You can try contacting a licensed dealer, but then there will be the issue of getting the gun to the Philippines. The common carriers (DHL, FedEx) will not ship firearms from the U.S. to a destination outside the U.S., neither will the United States Postal Service. An FFL-licensed dealer has a license that is only recognized within the U.S. and its sovereign territories. Hence an FFL can aid in transporting a weapon to Guam (a U.S. territory), but not to a location outside the country.

There are shipping exceptions made for U.S.-based manufacturers of firearms, but note that a manufacturer is not the same as a dealer.

You sound determined to do this. What I would recommend is not contacting a dealer, but calling up a local gun club (you don't have to be a member to do this) and asking for a recommendation for an attorney in Washington State that specializes in firearms law. Chances are the gun club will be able to give you a few names. Note that this will just cover the process of the firearm leaving the U.S. and will not cover the legality of it being brought in to the RP.

8. PiKanoy

PiKanoy New Member

Thanks for the input Carol. I'm not so determined that I would risk violating the rules or spend several times the value of the gun, although I did want to take a serious look at the possibility. It would have been a great source of pride for the recipient of the gift, and I'm sure it would have been passed down for generations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Traffic_in_Arms_Regulations

It's probably NOT going to happen.

9. Carol

I can certainly understand that. My cousin is hanging on to our grandfather's .22 pistol for his children. Even though many people in my family are against handguns, there still a meaning and value to the old gun.

Pardon my ignorance for the laws in the Philippines, but would you have any way of working with a dealer inside the RP to select a item for your recipient? That way you can still gift the firearm, but you would not have to deal with the dangerous legal mess of taking a firearm out of this country and in to another. :bow:

10. silat1

silat1 Active Member

The way it was explained to me by my contacts in the Philippines, you are only allowed to have a handgun in the house.. No legal carry unless you are either law enforcement or military affiliated.. You will see some security (bank and financial institution) carrying also, but as far as the individual citizen, most of the time, they are carrying illegally.. But then again, it depends on your contacts and the reason you need to carry... You can get a carry certification once it is proven that you are the owner of a security company or involved with executive protection of some high ranking politicos.. A lot of the governors and their cadre are authorized to carry for personal protection, but they also have to go through the same steps that anyone else has to go through (at least to the best of my understanding) the process.

11. Yep. I would expect that to be extremely difficult indeed. I recently investigated the possibility of importing a used car from Japan and was put off by the red tape, taxes and the possibility that the car might "disappear". ":(

A side not about the security guards here - I just don't get it.

In the supermarket you will see a 100 lb female carrying a side-arm that looks like it's out of the wild-west.

They have armed guards at universities. There used to be an armed guard for our sub-division until the residents stopped paying him...BUT...Western Union has no armed guards at all. The travel agents (which don't accept credit cards but accept lots of cash for trans-atlantic flights) don't have any either. I just can't understand the logic but sadly am used to that feeling now!

12. PiKanoy

PiKanoy New Member

I've considered this as an option.

This is exactly how I understand it to be as well.

I stopped trying to figure it out too. My first trip there, I think I saw more guns between Manila and Cebu, than you would see at a Swat convention. Random guards at random locations, and generally not where you would expect to see them.

Thank you all for your input.

13. sjansen

sjansen New Member

You need to talk to someone with an FFL (Federal Firearms License)preferably someone who has done alot of buying and selling and they can give you the ins and outs. I have found that even when the law says one thing you can get in trouble because the common practice is different.

14. silat1

silat1 Active Member

One thing you need to actually find out is to see if the individual who has the FFL has the ability to export the weapon overseas.. Most of the FFL dealers I know don't have that ability.. As I stated in an earlier post, I have trouble bringing in a weapon that I want to buy because I live in a territory of the US and a lot of the dealers don't want the hassle of exporting it due to the redtape and transit costs.. Most FFL holders will only do transfers within the continental states and very few will send them overseas due to the export taxes and such. Also, the FFL holders only apply to those dealers registered in the states as is the requirement of the BATF and US customs requirements.. Just some additional info that I dug up with my contacts within the LEO community here

15. Carol

Sure. Misunderstanding of the law and of legal terminology can also lead to trouble. A phrase that means one thing in conversational English can have different meaning under the law.

Its for reasons like this why a person that needs assistance with the law should obtain it from a qualified attorney in their state. If you get in trouble because a friend, or a cop, or a teacher gave you bad advice...too bad. But if you get in trouble because an attorney gave you bad advice, then the attorney gets in trouble but you don't.

16. sjansen

sjansen New Member

If what your trying to export is considered a "collectible" i.e. bolt action rifles and handguns of WWI vintage, you will have less trouble. Although I have no idea what is being exported. A class III (dealer of all weapons including fully automatic) dealer can export out of country through the ATF constructs with little trouble so that is another avenue you may want to pursue. However, I have found class III dealers to be rare, expensive and very aprehensive to one time sellers/buyers.

Just giving you the options.

17. joelvanderhoek

joelvanderhoek New Member

Some licensed exporters

Sounds like you may have already decided against trying to do the export, but I thought I might suggest some licensed (and fully legal) exporters to you, who specialize in sending firearms overseas.

Dave's Sports Shop
    www.davessports.com
    Firearm Import/Export Service
    Probably the best value

EuroSports, LLC (listing)

Simpson Ltd (www.simpsonltd.com)

LeRoy's Big Valley Gun Works (no website)

ETSS (www.etssincusa.com)

Cherrys (www.cherrys.com)

The fee usually ranges from about $250 (Dave's) to $1000+, plus any import duty, shipping, etc. Hope this helps!

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I should have figured that this was a market niche that someone would fill!