European sword work - nice video

Discussion in 'Misc. Sword Arts' started by jwinch2, Feb 20, 2010.

1. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPfLZFHcNv4

This is probably the best example of western-style sword and spear work that I have come across. You can really see the relationship between how the movements are done and FMA long blade and stick work. I haven't had much exposure to FMA spear and staff work so I can't gauge that influence. I would also be interested in seeing these guys do Espada y Daga.

Anyway, I enjoyed this quite a bit so I hope you do also...

Cheers,

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

FMA spear work is very hard to find--which I find surprising. Every culture has the spear!

3. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

Arnisador--

Pekiti-Tirsia has some spear-work which I find effective and transferable to other weapons. It's not shown much as most folks tend to gravitate to the knife work and espada y daga.

Perhaps if our paths cross again, I'll share some with you.

Until next,

Jack A. Latorre

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That would be cool! I confess I do like the knife and of course everyone likes teh sword, but for such a basic weapon I'm glad to know that someone is preserving the spear. What do you call the spear?

5. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

Arnisador--

Honestly, in the PTI curriculum, we call it "spear". :) Mataas Na Tuhon Gaje refers to it currently as "Melayu Sibat". Generally the most common Filipino term is "bangkaw".

A rose by any other name...

Regards,

Jack A. Latorre

6. TuhonBill

TuhonBill New Member

7. Paul

Paul New Member

8. Paul

Paul New Member

9. Killbot

Killbot Sereeus Biznus

Here's another vid. Kind of neat. a little more reserved in display than the first post, but neat.

[video=youtube;Kj4Ng6DBfrg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4Ng6DBfrg[/video]

ETA: just saw this was one of the four Paul added above. Oh well, consider it a short cut since I can't delete posts. lol.

10. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Cool vid, thanks for that. That was the first time I have seen someone try a snake disarm against a bastard sword! Pretty cool.