eskrimadors film

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by du212, Apr 18, 2010.

1. du212

du212 New Member

2. There area few threads about this already:

http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.p...ow-available-on-amazon!&highlight=eskrimadors

http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.p...n-Manila-last-night....&highlight=eskrimadors

Excellent documentary.

GM Anciong Bacon got a lot of coverage including a re-enactment of a challenge match. The documentary also discusses the formation of Balintawak. If I remember rightly GM Nick Elizar (Nicklestick balintawak) is also covered.

As a general "FMA" documentary it's well worth getting and is definitely one to pull out when people say "Eskrima? What's that!".

3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Probably the best documentary on Arnis, Eskrima, Kali that is out there now! Really professional with good editing and an enjoyable view!

4. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Just got mine in the mail today. I'm going to have a couple of friends/training buddies over to watch it this week. Can't wait to see it, i've been looking forward to this for a long time now. "The Bladed Hand" looks like it will be great as well... Have you guys watched "Kali means to scrape"? I've thought about picking that one up a couple of times but I haven't done it yet.

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Jwinch2,

Kali means to Scrape is a great DVD. I enjoyed watching it quite a bit! :)

6. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks. I'll have to pick that one up as well...

7. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Yeah Balintawak did get some good coverage. Which was great to see. I did find it odd that Antonio Ilustrisimo wasn't mentioned at all though. I know there's only so much time, but c'mon! I would've loved to see that instead of the father/son drama thing.

8. Yep - good points Fanjian.

He was briefly on screen for a bout 2 secs but was not credited.

It was probably something to do with the movie being shot in Cebu City and there not being a lot of Ilustrisimo connections in that area.

I also thought the "Anting-Anting" segment and subsequent fight was the weakest part of an otherwise excellent production. For around 60 mins I was surprised at the amount they packed in.

Simon.

9. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

All in all, it was great to watch. You're right. They did get a lot of material in there. Hopefully there will be more to come.

10. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

I forgot this post was in the Balintawak section. Yes, Balintawak probably got the second most coverage next to Doce Pares. They showed Chito and Monie Velez, Drigo Maranga, and Nick Elizar. I think that's everyone. Unfortunately they left me out:laugh: Maybe volume 2

11. jezah81

jezah81 Member

I received my copy yesterday, and watched it last night. Very informative, and it did show a lot of Balintawak stuff. After watching that DVD last night, i cant wait to finally train with GM Cacoy Canete in 2 weeks when hes in Australia!

Cheers,

Jeremy Hagop

12. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

I think it's a great documentary -- enough detail to be informative without getting bogged down in the minutia. The emphasis is definitely on Cebuano systems, which leads me to believe this is the reason more systems weren't presented.

My only complaint, and it's a fairly minor one, is that there were a few photos for which no credits or captions were given. For example, there was a segment in which they showed an old photo of Bobby Taboada and Nene Gaabucayan, but didn't mention their names or dates. Unless you're able to recognize them, the photo seems disconnected from the narration. Like I said, a minor gripe in what's otherwise an excellent production.

Robert

13. I think the factor there was that the film maker (Kerwin Go) is from Cebu and "Cebuana Eskrima: Beyond the Myth" was credited on the technical side of things. I know the authors (who are both from Cebu I think? One I know is) also helped out with the production.

I also noticed that about the photos the movie and even some black and white footage which would have been nice to have a name tagged to it.

Still, nothing can be that perfect and as mentioned I think it provided enough for people new to the art and instructors alike.

Simon.

14. teovel'sBalintawak

teovel'sBalintawak New Member

15. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Aaah. That makes sense. Hopefully this is only the first one. Makes me think of a gift I received for Christmas. I got this 10 dvd set all about the history of Jazz music. Each disc is over an hour long. Imagine if we had something like that for FMA.

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I definitely need to see this film...hopefully Mr. Hartman will have it when I go there this summer!