Eskrima Kali Arnis Tournament - July 14, '07

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by kabaroan, May 9, 2007.

1. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

I just received the following information from Guro Dexter Labonog:

2007 July 14th
    Edison High School Gym Stockton, CA
    1425 S. Center, Stocton 95206

ESKRIMA KALI ARNIS
    TOURNAMENT

A MUST COME EVENT
    Carenza-Forms
    FULL CONTANT SUNDANG
    Demos and Vendors

CONTACT INFO
    PRE-REGISTRATION
    RULES AND DIVISIONS
    GO TO WEB
    www.BAHALANA.COM/ESKCOA
    or call 916-691-6185
    209-992-0832
    FREE CLINICS BEFORE THE EVENT

Sponsored by
    Escrima Coalition

THE TRADITION LIVES ON
    THE GENERATION AFTER

٭ MATA SA BAGYO ٭ SLD ٭ ORIGINAL GIRON ESCRIMA ٭
    ٭ BAHALA NA-Multi-Style ٭

http://www.bahalana.com/eskcoa.htm

2. animal_stylez

animal_stylez New Member

When trying to access http://www.bahalana.com/ESKCOA/ I get the following error message:

======================================================
    You don't have permission to access /ESKCOA/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.bahalana.com Port 80======================================================= Thanks! :)

3. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

4. animal_stylez

animal_stylez New Member

Thanks it's working now! :)

5. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Reminder Tournament this Saturday 7/14/07

Reminder the tournament is this Saturday, July 17th at Edison High School Gym in Stockton, CA.

6. mabagani

mabagani Pendato

I'll be part of the group of collectors doing a FILIPINO WEAPONRY AND CULTURAL EXHIBIT

7. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Excellent! I'll be there demonstrating our Kabaroan Eskrima art with Associate GM Ed Bansuelo and Guro Marcos Belasco as well as participating the Carenza competition.

Hope to meet you there! :)

8. junior eskrimador

junior eskrimador Expect the Unexpected

Any update on the tournament? How did it go? Any good fighters that made an impression?

9. Mandirigma

Mandirigma New Member

I too would like to know what schools were there!Pics and Videos would be awesome!!!

10. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Tournament was great and went relatively smoothly. Unfortunately, I didn't catch all the fights but what I did see was great.

After registration and the opening ceremonies, the first event was the Carrenza. There were two particpants in two different categories, Beginner (less than 2 years experience) and Advanced (more than 2 years experience). Kim Altamero (Doce Pares) performed an excellent freestyle form (single stick) with music in the Beginners Carenza . Yours truly performed a short medley of forms with a sword ('Abridged 15' and 'General Tiradin') in the Advanced. (Aside, Grandmaster Bandalan commented that he enjoyed my presentation and that it "brought a tear to his eye" to see the arts classically presented. I felt honored to receive the compliment.)

Hopefully, next year, there will be more participants in the Carenza competition.

There were quite a number of fighters from various schools. Scoring was via point style, no thigh/groin, 2 points for weapon hand, and head and body, 1 point for off hand, arm, lower leg/foot. No thrusting/stabbing allowed.

After half the fights, lunch was served and the demonstrations took place. After the demos and lunch (tacos), the sparring resumed. (At that point, I had to leave.)

Overall, it was a great time. Looking forward to next year. We typically don't spar with gear so we didn't spar, but we are certainly getting ready for next years tournament.

Lots of schools were there but rather than dishonor them by leaving someone out unintentionally, I'd rather not mention any.

Displays were great! I really enjoyed looking at the weapons, photographs, and displays available. One of the vendors said that there is more FMA memorabilia in the US than in the Philippines!

Since I was in the Carenza and performing in the demo, I didn't take any photos. I heard from Maestro Dexter that the photos were being edited would be posted soon.

11. animal_stylez

animal_stylez New Member

I was able to attend the tournament as well. I guess I have a different view point of it all. I don't mean this in any disrespectful way to the participants or any of the organizers at all.

1. - The tournament started way to late, almost 11:30am (if I remember correctly) for the doors to open at 8:00am! I got there at 9:45, and had to sit and wait nearly 2 hours for the tournament to start. There wasn't a whole lot of competitors to start with, so waiting that long didn't make sense.

2. - The referee instruction should have been held before the tournament, preferably the day before, or earlier that morning. The same instruction was then repeated for the competitors. As a spectator, you don't want to see this, you want to see 'action'.

3. - It was hard to tell who was a judge/referee/score keeper/time keeper/participant during the tournament. When it was time for a specific division to fight, they had to continually call the fighters to come to the ring, thus slowing down the tournament.

4. - At one point one match started, but then stopped, they realized they had started the wrong fight, and had to bring in the other fighters.

I left shortly after the break. I had brought my 8 year old son to the tournament, he was quickly bored because of all the waiting around. He did enjoy it, and so did I of what I saw. The demonstrations were nice during the break, the fighting was great as well. There was good support, but I honestly was surprised that there were not more. This was my first FMA tournament I've been to, so I'm not sure if this is the norm, or if this was just a one time thing.

I think this was the first tournament thrown by ESKCOA, so I'm sure they will work the kinks and bugs out of it. Again, no disrespect meant by any of this, just my honest observations.

Cheers~~