emerson knives - thots?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by madmicah, Feb 13, 2008.

1. madmicah

madmicah New Member

i'd be interested in hearing what people think about emerson knives - i have their folding kerambit and love it. others?

2. scubamatt

scubamatt New Member

Emerson is one of the 'top three' knife manufacturers, in my mind. I have never seen an Emerson that wasn't first rate quality.

Have you seen the link in another thread (on FMA Talk) about one technique for drawing the folding kerambit? Not sure how to link within the forums, but here goes:

http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=3597

Its in the Misc Knife Arts section.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Great knives, and they've had some innovative products! Their CQC line stands out in my mind.

My folding kerambit is from VTech. I like it, and carry it reasonably often.

4. James

James Crescent City Eskrima

Overpriced for the quality as far as I'm concerned. The kerambit is their best folding knife, but I don't like that it's a liner lock. The only other knife I like by them is the La Griffe which I actually edc sometimes.

One of my student's had an Emerson that the liner lock could be popped when the blade was torqued by hand. If you are spending that kind of money on a blade, quality control should be better.

5. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I have three emerson knives that I carry on a regular basis.. The first one is the emerson cqc 13 which is his bowie designed folder.. It also was selected as blade of the year for 2007.. My other two emersons are the cqc 7, one with the tanto point and the other with the spear point.. These are used for my more dress up occassions, but the emerson cqc 13 is my primary for duty and every day use

6. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

I have had an emerson , they are over priced, for my money, crkt are pretty good.

7. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Emerson's are okay but I would agree that they are overpriced. I have several but then I have way to many folding knives. The assited opener folding knife that I have by Emerson is pretty sweet though. Still I much prefer CRKT and a few other models. [​IMG]

8. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I have several crkt knives also, they are good for throw aways if needed.. I have the kaspar crawford folder, the crawford point guard and the kaspar companion.. They are good knives, but I have broke the tips off of them when using them in the job. I carried the bear claw when it first came out, but lo and behold, it broke the first time I used it to cut a seat belt while practicing an extraction from a car. Needles to say, that was the last time I carried the bear claw, but my kaspar crawford was used to pop open a car door when a child had fallen out of it's baby seat and had the seat belt wrapped around it's neck. Mom had locked the keys in the car with the enging running.. Needless to say, the crawford came through with flying colors,but as a result of this action, the tip was broken off by about 1/2 inch, so I ground it down and am now using it as a training tool.

But I still prefer my emersons due to their strength and I have a fixed bladed emerson in my tactical gear that is just begging to be used to pry open a door or a window during a swat type exercise. :piratesmi

9. Skubysnak

Skubysnak New Member

I've got 3 Emersons myself. A bit pricey, but my personal preference to own and carry.

Silat1: Hafa Dude...I lived in Guam for about 3.5 years. So much fun...

10. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Hafa skuby,
    I know guam is fun, only thing is out of the last 25 yrs, I've been here 23 of them.. I was stateside for two years working for the navy at Great Mistakes, boy did I regret that.. Even though it was home and the first time I had really been in that area since the early 70's, those cold assed winters reminded me of why I left.

I came back to guam little over a year ago and it's been balls out since then.

As far as carrying my emersons, for folders they are better than some of the crkts that I have owned.. I bought a couple of them crkt weasels while stateside and found out that they were too small for my grip, so they became christmas presents for people who trained with me.. Now if anyone has a crkt kaspar/crawford professional they want to get rid of or trade, let me know I have a couple of spydercos that are sitting in my drawer and could be used for people who want to use them

Bill

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  11. KaliGman

KaliGman Professional Man at Arms

Emerson Knives

Most of my knives are either Spyderco or Emerson. Both of these companies make very high quality knives and have outstanding customer service. Over time and with use anything mechanical (such as a folding knife) will wear. If you have a problem with an Emerson or a Spyderco, the warranty departments of both of these companies are simply outstanding. For instance, I have one of the first of the production models of Emerson's Combat Karambit (serial number 0039 to be precise). This knife, after years of use, developed too much play in the liner lock. I thought this was normal wear and tear and should not be covered by the warranty (lot's of kinetic openings, waved openings, etc. had been done to this knife and this really strains the lock and the pivot pin). Ernest Emerson thought differently--my knife was repaired free of charge, when I expected to pay for repairs since the problem with the knife was years of wear, not a manufacturer defect. The knife was back to me, working better than it did when new, in less than 7 days from the time I shipped it. That is great customer service.

I look at knives and guns, and tactical flashlights for that matter, as tools that may be called upon in a life-and-death situation. I want great quality, not "decent" when my life is on the line. One of the things I tell my students is that, when you are in a real fight, you will not regret one dollar you spent on good gear that you have with you or one hour that you spent in good training.

That said, the Chad Los Banos designed knives made by Boker (M-type, Trance, Hyper, MPT) are very nice knives, especially considering their price point. These are a good alternative if funds are tight.