Edgar G. Sulite (Instructional Videos)

Discussion in 'Lameco' started by Guro Dave Gould, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

Hi guys,

For those of you with an interest in Lameco Eskrima who have not seen any or all of PG Sulites videos on Lameco Eskrima, let me say that after 16 years of being on the market they are still some of the best that I have seen.

To get a clear and concise understanding of Lameco Eskrima you have to go first to the root source itself and that would be the founder, Edgar G. Sulite. Below are the public Lameco Eskrima videos available featuring Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite released between 1991-1995, I highly recommend them all!

*Lameco Eskrima at the Vortex
    *Lameco Eskrima; Practical Self-Defense (Vol. 1)
    *Lameco Eskrima; Practical Self-Defense (Vol. 2)
    *Lameco Eskrima; Essential Single Stick Skills (Vol. 1)
    *Lameco Eskrima; Essential Single Stick Skills (Vol. 2)
    *Lameco Eskrima; Secrets of Double Stick Fighting (Vol. 1)
    *Lameco Eskrima; Secrets of Double Stick Fighting (Vol. 2)
    *Lameco Eskrima; Espada-y-Daga
    *Lameco Eskrima; Advanced Laban-Laro (Vol. 1)
    *Lameco Eskrima; Advanced Laban-Laro (Vol. 2)

Videos, Books, Training Gear and Lameco Eskrima Apparel can be purchased through Felisa Sulite and family through their web-site:

www.LamecoEskrima.com

Train well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

2. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Hmmm, I thought that the Laban-Laro titles were actually unavailable... I gotta add that of all the people I have seen teaching on video (which means a lot), the late PG Sulite stands out as a person who actually manages to come across as a great amiable and lovable man even on screen.
    I mean, there are others with great on camera appearance, but (at least in my case) PG Sulite makes one almost feel like having a private lesson/workout and inspires you to get up and try those things right away.

3. Henrym3483

Henrym3483 New Member

who produced the original laban laro vids? was it unique publications or someone else? the intro music for the laban laro clip on youtube below music sounds like some of the stuff from paul vunak's TRS street safe material?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEMVrNN8JO0

Managed to get ahold of some of the last copies of dvd unique produced of the single stick 1 & 2 dvd's in a shop.

great material only wish unique would republish the whole set including the espada y daga. theres a whole wealth of stuff unique (or their current owners beckett media) said they will no reproduce including some seminal stuff by ted lucaylucay and some of the Kali Illustrismo vids by Christopher Ricketts. its a real shame.

4. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Damn right it's a shame. Even after all these years PG Sulite's videos rank among the best on the subject, and it is really bad that the world will be left without the possibility to get acquainted with his rich legacy. But then again, I never quit hoping that Mrs, Sulite will once end up finding someone willing to republish that stuff, including his books.

5. BSnyder

BSnyder New Member

I was thinking of buying the video Lameco Eskrima at the Vortex, does anyone have a description of what is on the video?

Thanks,
    Bruce

6. Aric_Ashgrove

Aric_Ashgrove New Member

Hello Bruce and happy holidays!

To put briefly it contains pertaining to Lameco Eskrima:
    12 angles of attack
    6 types of footwork and their applications
    Ranges and Countering
    Sectoring principles and the 7 sectors on the forehand
    Disarms within those sectors

Really it is a dense video full of information, and PG Sulite's style and delivery are some of the best I have ever seen in instructional DVDs. Depending on if that material is what you are looking for or not, his best are probably Essential Single Stick Skills 1 & 2. Hope that helps!

7. Guro Dave Gould

That about sums it up Aric_Ashgrove thanks for your input. I would also like to give a little insight about the video itself. This was the first commercial video that Punong Guro Sulite did publically outlining his Lameco Eskrima System when he first relocated to the U.S. from the Philippines. He let Marc Denny (Crafty Dog) of the then newly formed Dog Brothers and one of PG Sulite`s early students in the U.S. produce the video. Both Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny and Ed "Hot-Dog" Solomon are shown in the video portrayed as the "Droog" Brothers which added a nice touch to the over-all production with their fight scene with Edgar. The opening scene set to the music of Ted Nugent was actually shot at Steve Grody`s Downtown Self Defense Studio in Los Angeles. It was never intended to be part of the video. Edgar was just warming up with various weapons on Steve`s heavy bags in his studio and for the most part he was completely unaware that he was being captured on film. So that footage is completely unrehearsed and portrays Edgar as he really was and how he moved when no one was looking so to speak. Steve Grody was so impressed with the footage that he later suggested to Marc Denny to add it into the video and they did so adding the music of Ted Nugent to the footage which turned out quite remarkably impressive. Still one of my favorites to this day. Just the opening sequence is worth the money of the video to me. All of PG Sulite`s videos are highly recommended and some 20 plus years after they were first released they are still years ahead of themselves regarding quality and providing an added benefit to the Filipino Martial Arts practitioner in general and Lameco Eskrima enthusiasts in specific.

8. amadeus

amadeus New Member

Can anyone give me an overview regarding what is covered in each of the above videos?

I had the opportunity to train under George Freeman, a student of Dino Flores, for awhile while I was in Ft. Stewart where he taught me among other things, the first 5 of the 12 drills. For better or worse I'm now in Ft. Riley and training opportunities are limited at best. So what I'd really like to find is a video that cover the 12 drills well.

Thanks in advance.

9. Guro Dave Gould

Amadeus, there is way too much information to list here regarding what is covered in all 10 of Punong Guro Sulite`s Lameco Eskrima videos. Let me put it this way all 10 of his videos are so far ahead of their time and offer great instruction regarding not just Lameco Eskrima in specific but any FMA or Martial Art in general. The videos that would help you the most regarding the Laban-laro drills in specific are the Lameco Eskrima; Advanced Laban-Laro (Vols. 1-2). They cover in great detail the most basic progressions of all of the Laban-laro drills with single stick regarding the first set. Best regards.

10. michigankalisilat

michigankalisilat New Member

Any chance of a re-issue?
    There are too many great videos of masters long gone on VHS. I hope some of the Ilustrisimo titles will also see the light of day.

11. Guro Dave Gould

Michigankalisilat, all of the above mentioned titles are currently available in DVD format at: www.LamecoEskrima.com

12. kevin hand

kevin hand New Member

i just checked the lameco website. the videos and books are there. the books are out of stock and says, coming soon! i hope they do get republished! id love to get a copy of all three of them. guro dave, do you know if they plan to get them out soon? there is a contact address so i guess ill write to them...

13. Guro Dave Gould

Kevin, it may be awhile before PG Sulite`s books are republished, if at all. As far as I know right now there are no negotiations currently being made to do so. If I hear of anything in that regard I will pass it along.