East Coast "Real Contact Stick Fighting" Sparring Day

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by ryangruhn, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

East Coast Inhabitants,

We are looking to have a day of hard sparring late January / early February at my gym in State College, PA to help our fighters ready themselves for the April gathering. Right now we have around five people looking to fight in April from all different weight classes. Our plan is to get a number of schools from the east coast and mid-west to come and train for a day, spar, hang out, etc. We want to make the matches as close to Gatherings style as possible while still keep people safe and keeping it in the realm of "sparring" and not fighting. However, we also want to have everyone push themselves and wear minimal protective gear and use larger diameter sticks. We also have both a cage and ring to hold the matches in so we will be able to get twice as many matches in during the day if need be.

We would like to avoid WEKAF head gear and instead use fencing masks. We would also like to limit the hand protection to equal to or lighter than street hockey gloves. However, if wearing more protection is the only way you would be willing to spar we can deal with it. We simply want to avoid any non-realistic behavior due to protective gear.

Please post back if you are interested and as soon as we drum up some interest we will set a date that works for everyone. We have about three other schools interested in joining us so far. Please don't be shy, come and spar so we can all make ourselves better! Any questions feel free to email me at ryangruhn@hotmail.com.

Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=41992147223

Respectfully,

Dog Ryan Gruhn
    www.LionHeartFit.com
    Head Instructor / MA Program Director
    Lion Heart Fitness - State College, PA

2. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

Ryan--

Have you an exact date yet? I'd like to make it if family and time permit.

Best,

Jack A. Latorre

3. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Good luck with getting away. According to Ryan's face book link it's on Valentine's Day.

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Ouch! [​IMG]

5. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

Well, it would've been nice to meet you and cross sticks anyway...:)

What were you thinking?!? :)

Another time,

Jack A. Latorre

6. Hudson

Hudson Junior Member

Is it "On" ?

Will the P.A. Gathering occur?
    Please advise very interested have 5 guys interested.

Galang,
    Narc

7. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

Hey All,

First off it's not a gathering its a day of HARD sparring It will however be as close as we can get to doing such a thing. I do want to state though that this is just "sparring" however it will be harder sparring than just about anything around here. I simply just don't want people trying to finish their partners off. For instance, their hurt, just stop rather than continue. If you see a shot that would finish a partner you would pull it, etc.

Secondly, yes it is going to be February 14th. If you and your significant other will allow hallmark to dictate your lives then so be it. I can't think of a better V-day present from her than to allow you to go and spar with your friends. When was the last day V-day was about the guy! For those of you who needed an excuse cause you didn't want to come the date is your easy way out.

Here is the facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=41992147223

8. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

Ryan--

I send my regrets as to not attending...although I really don't need an easy way out. I'll be spending the time with my lovely wife rather than sweaty men...but I am happy to reciprocate the invitation to you (and anyone else interested) in sparring here in Rochester, New York. It's fairly regular here and done along similar if not the same lines...just no cage as we have none. Please feel free to PM me if you are interested so we can make arrangements. If you have another event, I would be interested if the time is right.

Regards,

Jack A. Latorre

9. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

Thanks Jack! We would totally be interested in doing this at some point with your group.

10. Datu Tim Hartman

I take it you single. :boohoo:

I wish you luck with your gathering.:bow:

11. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

Been with her for eight years :D She'll be there taking pictures!

12. Hudson

Hudson Junior Member

We are a coming Ryan...

Talked with some of my TG members and it looks like even though we all are married we will be coming at least 3 of us, if not 4. 2 for moral support and 2 for actual sparring.
    Ryan thanks for responding to my concerns of having EMT's present to respond immediately for injuries. As a Boy Scout Leader/Volunteer perspective "Always Be Prepared" !
    Other than Fencing helmets, groin protection, lacross gloves, 7/8" diameter Kali sticks what else should my TG bring, this is our first type of event.

Galang,

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's dedication! Good luck!

14. Brock

Brock Asha'man

HA! I almost accidently scheduled myself to teach a seminar in Altoona that day and got this look: :mad3:

15. Hudson

Hudson Junior Member

"No Go" Captain advised I would be sent to the Brig...

Ryan

GMATG not attending afterall.
    Let "us" know next Penn Gathering, we are getting all our gear this week and will be seeking some pointers from Datu Hartman for next time around.

Galang,
    JB

16. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

Everything is looking strong for the 14th. We have about 15 participants thus far.

17. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

10 people confirmed!

18. Datu Tim Hartman

How was the training?

19. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Yes pictures please! [​IMG]