Early Inosanto Kali vs. present

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by jayMa, Oct 30, 2006.

1. jayMa

jayMa New Member

I was wondering if Inosanto Kali has changed from the early 80's to the present. I have the opportunity to train with two instructors. One trained with Inosanto in the early 80's. He was certified, but now is not. The other trained with Inosanto a few years ago and is currently certified. My question is has Inosanto Kali changed much and if it has what has changed?

Thanks

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

At the seminar I attended earlier this month he was doing some Atillo Balintawak during one session. To my knowledge Grandmaster Atillo has only been in the States since 2000, and Inosanto's training only began with him when he was Stateside, so that much of his training would be different.

3. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

If it has changed, it has EVOLVED. It's a constantly growing process.

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Yes I think that is a good way to put it! [​IMG]

5. Since he is always looking for new information, it would stand to reason that the art he teaches would change as this new information gets processed.

The essential problem is that students are looking for answers and he poses more questions. The job of an Inosanto student is to discover for yourself what is importand to you, what works, and not try to impress Guro I with how well you can imitate him. Of course some of him will rub off but most of it should be you.

As to the original question, the early days (to late 70's) saw a lot of Villabraille/Largusa kali, Serada, Lacoste Kali, (Reginio) Illustrisimo Kali and Largo Mano.

The late 70's and early 80's added Pekiti Tirsia. Late 80's Lameco (I was present when he met Edgar Sulute).

Now it is Balinawak.

Like siniwali the old stuff resurfaces from time to time and gets re-woven into the overall design.

Old time students are likely to disagree with me, and they should because I was not there and am only doing this by spouting the product of old magazines.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I saw him do a little bit of Balintawak at the Evansville, IN seminar.

7. Baddmojo

Baddmojo New Member

OMG...the Inosanto blend has changed a ton since I started in 93. And as Daniel put it Evolved.

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Has it mostly been added to, or are things dropped also?

9. Baddmojo

Baddmojo New Member

LOL...I'm not touching that with a 10 foot or WC dragon pole for that matter?!!! It depends on who you ask?!!! I can only tell you from my experiences and observations, each JKD/Kali instructor is pretty much taught the same curriculum, but I've noticed that different instructors emphasis different systems of the Inosanto blend of Kali. Originally, I was from Portland OR so when I moved to Florida and hooked up with several instructors and students what they did was different then what I had studied. Although all of us had the same basics. Now, I need to clarify also that my information is old. For all intents and purposes I study mostly FCS Kali and Wing Chun now although I still continue to practice and teach the knowledge I had received from my previous instructors. Just my 2 cents(1-1/2 cents adjusted dollars).

Anthony

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hmmm, it's always seemed to me that Dan Inosanto mostly adds, but I agree that some of his people have dropped large portions (at least in terms of what they usually teach)!

11. Ron Kosakowski

Ron Kosakowski New Member

It seems that Guro Dan Inosanto will never grow old. He is 72 now and is going strong as he did 20 years ago. He says what keeps him going is his daily routine of yoga. He is a big influence on me. It goes to show if you do not use it, you loose it. The word "old" does not have the same meaning it did in the old days![​IMG]

12. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

If you are real active through out your life then in general good things will happen. [​IMG]

13. tfo23

tfo23 New Member

Balintawak

Yes, Guro Dan has been training in Atillo Balintawak for some time now. A few years back, Guro Dan started training with Master Virgil Cavada who was one of GM Atillo's top students. Master Cavada has made some changes to the system in the structure and organization of how the material is presented and taught to the students. The style itself is very intricate and complex, but once you figure out the structure in which it is organized, it is like have the combination to a safe. I have been doing FMA for a while and I am amazed at how quickly students are able to pick up this material and flow and defend against random attack feeds at such a high rate of speed in such close quarters.

I am Master Cavada's rep for the south eastern US, so if anyone would like to know more about it, you can message me and I would be glad to share what I can. Also, check us out at www.appliedeskrima.com if you wish to get in contact with Master Cavada directly.

Salamat!
    -Jerome Teague

14. tfo23

tfo23 New Member

Yes, Guro Dan has been training in Atillo Balintawak for some time now. A few years back, Guro Dan started training with Master Virgil Cavada who was one of GM Atillo's top students. Master Cavada has made some changes to the system in the structure and organization of how the material is presented and taught to the students. The style itself is very intricate and complex, but once you figure out the structure in which it is organized, it is like have the combination to a safe. I have been doing FMA for a while and I am amazed at how quickly students are able to pick up this material and flow and defend against random attack feeds at such a high rate of speed in such close quarters.

I am Master Cavada's rep for the south eastern US, so if anyone would like to know more about it, you can message me and I would be glad to share what I can. Also, check us out at www.appliedeskrima.com if you wish to get in contact with Master Cavada directly.

Salamat!
    -Jerome Teague