draft article - full moon fights and trusting the youth

Discussion in 'E-Zine Articles' started by Dawn, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Dawn

Dawn New Member

An elderly man told me a story about watching his lolo (grandfather) spar with other guys when he was just a little boy back in his province of Quezon. It was probably in the late 1940's - early 50's, and they called it "estokada."

Under the light of the full moon, he watched his lolo and comrades dip their canes in oil and charcoal then spar. The person to get the most soot marks on his opponent wins. They fought without safety gear.

I thought it was an amazing story and I asked if he had learned the art as well. Sadly, he said no. He had always wanted to learn, but their elders didn't want to pass it on. They feared that the skill might be misused, as the youth were often "mapusok" (impetuous).

The old man’s story reminds me of the saying "necessity is the mother of innovation." Back during the war it was crucial for ordinary Filipinos to learn how to fight, but probably during a time of relative peace it was natural for some martial arts to die a natural death.

Someone said that FMA is a warrior art first and foremost before it is a sport. I'm glad some styles have endured and flourished, that some elders trusted the youth, and that new masters have created their own styles even in the absence of war.

Hi Bob, is the general idea of this draft article ok for inclusion in your e-zine? I was thinking of expanding it further by researching the lesser known fma in the Philippines or the estimated number of active systems being practiced.. what do you think? Has it been written about before? Is the first person point of view ok or does it seem too.. bloggy?

By the way you mentioned that the articles be preferably written by acknowledged experts... I'm nobody in the martial arts world, I just like to write a lot, way before I started learning how to hit people with sticks.

Best,
    Dawn