Dog brothers

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by The Phalanx, Oct 20, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

I see a lot of the FMA schools have their own forums in fmatalk... How come I don't see a Dog Brothers forum?

I mean the Dog Brothers are known all over the world... It's time we have a forum dedicated to the Dog Brothers...

2. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

I concur, why not? Does the forum need a certain amount of members in FMAtalk of a style to have a forum? Or is it based on how many members or how popular the style/organization/group?:confused:

3. The Phalanx

I agree... I mean this is an FMA website dedicated to FMA... The Dog Brothers are one of the most notorious fighters in the FMA world... The UFC even sent a letter saying that they are "too extreme" even for the original UFC... You would think that they would at least get their own forum on here...

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

We would be happy to create such a forum. We've created several other fora by request. Usually what we like to see first is evidence of people discussing the subject. We've deleted fora on other arts and moved the threads to the General section because they generated so few actual posts. I've seen lots iof in-passing mentions of the Dog Brothers and DBMA, but few threads dedicated to discussing them and their methods. Start a few and we'll happily make a place for them and move those threads into it!

So to answer Phil Mar Nadela's question more directly, it's about the amount of traffic on the site more than the number of members from the style. That's what we look at--will the forum be active, or just get a the occasional "How come no one ever posts in here?" posts.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

5. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Thanks Kuya Arnisador [​IMG], that makes allot of sense.

6. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Yes I think we would all like a Dog Brothers Forum providing there is enough traffic for it. [​IMG]

7. The Phalanx

I will make enough traffic for it... Not having The Dog Brothers have their own forum here is surprising...

8. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I agree with the dog brothers having a forum here, but one individual does not make a forum.. If the individual generates the traffic, sooner or later, it will become a one man show with the same stuff being rehashed over and over just to maintain the traffic and forum..

I'm not shooting down the concept of the dog brothers forum, but I would like to see more than one individual keeping the forum alive and thriving..

This is just my opinion, take it for what its worth

9. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

I was always led to believe that DBMA is PTK with JKD concepts.

10. Didn't Edgar Sulite have an input too?

11. Sisco T.

Sisco T. New Member

yes, punong guro edgar sulite had MUCH input in DBMA

Francisco

12. Sisco T.

Sisco T. New Member

PTK is what eric ''top dog'' knaus's primary training was. the 1st video series, i believe, is heavily influenced by his pekiti training AND his own fighting experiences. ajarn salty came from derobio i believe and also became learned in lameco. guro marc comes from guro inosanto and DBMA is HEAVILY layered(?) in inosanto blend. i believe guro marc has said pekiti, lameco (guro marc and ajarn salty dog had many trainings with punong guro edgar sulite), and inosanto blend are either his major influences or the major FMA influences on Dog Brother Martial Arts(DBMA). these days 2 other MAJOR players in DBMA would be machado bjj and krabi krabong. much of this info can be found on the DBMA website.

Francisco

13. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Thank you for the clarification. All I know is I watched one of the first few gatherings in Hermosa beach. I was younger (I am 50 now) and I tell you what. They really got it on! Watching them is what got me to the IMB Academy for my first classes in FMA.

I met Chris Hauter (Thai Boxer, JKD Instructor, Machado BJJ Black Belt) in Hermosa Beach, joined him in classes at IMB and we became good friends. As a matter of fact Burton Richardson (Lucky Dog I think?) was my first instructor at IMB in 1987. Damon Carro was also in that class and he has made quite a name for himself in the movie industry. Any way back to the topic......

I actually enjoy watching the early DBMA tapes (Eric's early set of 6 tapes), better then the later ones. It seemed as though it was more actual stick and weapon fighting and less ground fighting. They went to the ground as a last resort or so it seemed. I based a lot of my style of fighting and early teaching on what they did. Though now I don't fight like they do any more, it has a purpose. It is not for everyone but training like that and fighting hard is fun!

All that being said, I like what the Dog Brothers have done. They put the X in xtream and it has helped a lot of people progress over the years, including me.

It is interesting how all of these events and stages in our lives and martial art leads us to where we are. Now instead of fighting harder with bigger sticks, I play softer with thin ones.(It hurts and stings but there is not so much lasting pain! Also, I don't lose students as fast anymore). Instead of mixing systems I choose to propagate 1 system.

Give'em a forum.........

God Bless,
    Stephen

14. Rapier

Rapier RHC

Actualy there is a lot more with just Mr.Sanford or Salty Dog alone as he is known has also studied Lemeco,Kuntao,Arnis 63 generals and is also a red shirt Instructor In Derobio Escrima and I think thats just touching the surface.

15. The Phalanx

Ok, the crowd has spoken... Give the Dog Brothers a forum...

16. silat1

silat1 Active Member

The crowd doesn't have the final verdict.. It is up to the administrators of the FMATALK that gives and takes recommendations for forums. Also as a junior member, it would be more considerate instead of taking a demanding tone with the group, asking would be more appropriate.. Demanding that something be given is like a 3 yr old wanting candy in the store..
    :tantrum::Eyecrazy:

BTW: 400 posts with this one, let the party begin

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Let me just assure you that we're watching! There does seem to be some interest.

Congrats, silat1!

18. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

You typie long time!

19. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Between the forum postings and the stops at winchells while on patrol, it's a wonder that I get anything done while on duty...

20. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Don't pop my bubble. I thought you were workin and protectin over there! Oh well...as the wife always tells me, "Your life your fantasy." Eat a glazed one for me....with coffee!