Dog brothers names

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by The Phalanx, Oct 20, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

The Dog Brothers have what they call "Dog Names"... Like Kahuna Dog, DogZilla, Crafty Dog, and so on... You achieve them by fighting in Gatherings and just being an overall good person... They are not rankings, since DB don't do rankings... They are I guess an achievement...

I hope to fight in several Gatherings when I'm ready and get a Dog Brother name one day...

What do you think of the dog names? Is it silly? Is it meaningful? Is it even necessary?

Your opinions...

2. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

In my opinion its like a right of passage or being part of the brotherhood thing, Plus it doesn't hurt that it sounds cool, i don't get called dog allot.

Come to think about it does the women who attend the gatherings get names too? (not trying to be smart just being curious)

3. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Yeah but instead of Dog, it's Cat...

4. tim_stl

tim_stl Junior Member

it's common among fighting groups to get nicknames. you see boxers and mma fighters with nicknames also (oscar "golden boy" de la hoya, manny "mexicutioner" pacquiao, randy "the natural" couture, antonio "minotauro" nogueira). in the garimot system, we have fighting names, and i'm sure there are other fma that do this as well.

i don't think it's necessary, but it's certianly meaningful. it's a part of the group identity.

tim

5. At the beginning the dog names gave an identity to that group. The group grew out of what they did but the Dog Brother identity needed itself so that it would not be tied to just one individual. The "group of sweaty psychopaths" has grown far beyond it's original formation and is world wide now.

6. krugman

krugman New Member

its cool

I get a kick out of the DB nicknames,they are often quite witty ,they are an interesting bunch,I wish there was a chapter where I live.Eric Knaus ,Marc Denny and crew are great martial artists IMHO.

7. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

Woof!

8. sharon.gmc

sharon.gmc New Member

nice names.