Does lineage play a factor?

Discussion in 'General' started by FENOM, Oct 16, 2008.

1. FENOM

FENOM New Member

With all things being equal, does lineage play a big factor when choosing who to train under?

Take for example individual A and individual B have an equal amount of skill, tenure within the art, and both are great teachers. The only difference is that A's lineage includes a well known style and instructor. Not taking price into account what would you do?

2. tellner

tellner New Member

If I don't know how to judge them I might go with the better known background, all else being equal. At least he's a known quantity. Odds are I'll get something coherent.

But I'm not a noob. I've been around the block a few times and can tell the difference between Chi and Cheez-Whiz. So I'll watch classes, take part a couple times and then decide based on those hundred little things.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's my thinking too. If I know nothing else, I'll take lineage as indicating a greater likelihood of quality control of the instructor and quality of the system itself if it's survived this long. But that mostly comes into play when I move into a new city, open the phone book, and see 54 schools listed and recognize I can't visit them all. Within the group I'm visiting, I'll look for the better instructor and best match for me.

4. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

lineage, spineage

The best teachers that I've met have a great lineage and don't talk about it that much, if at all...

Best,

Steve

5. geezer

geezer Member

Let me get this straight. You've got a choice between two great teachers, but one comes from a well known lineage and the other is an unknown. Considering how hard it is for most people to track down good instruction, that's not something to worry about. It's a great opportunity. Pick the one that's the best fit for you...and maybe in time you'll work with both of them.

Actually, I'm kinda in this same position. I'm currently training with a guy that is little known, but terrific. Then I ran into another guy who is quite well known, coming out of the Ilustrisimo lineage. I went to a seminar he gave and he's terrific too. In fact, compared to some of the other stuff I've seen, the two are somewhat similar in what they teach. So what to do?

Well, I'm sticking with the little known guy. I've known him for at least 25 years and I know the value of his teaching. And I already have certificates in another lineage in case there's ever a paper shortage. But, if he were to retire from teaching, I'd go straight to the other guy. It's nice to have two good choices!

6. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Why not try to learn from both? Like geezer mentioned, it is hard to find good instruction (living in Canada you know what i mean). In my case, i train with two Masters and attend as much seminars and camps as i can which my province offer. Of course this is just my opinion.

7. FENOM

FENOM New Member

8. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

well, if both are great, and if there is no way to train with both, I'd go for the one that has most convenient classes for me. By that I mean, time, location, price...