Does Guru Dan teach, or has he ever taught a standard series of disarms?

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by tfo23, Sep 16, 2008.

1. tfo23

tfo23 New Member

Just wondering if Guru Dan teaches, or has he ever taught a standard series of knife and stick disarms?

If so, would anyone be willing to share? The majority of the disarms in my bag of tricks come from arnis. I imagine that they are quit similar, however, I would really like to have the original Inosanto Progression.

Thanks

2. tfo23

tfo23 New Member

Just wondering if Guru Dan teaches, or has he ever taught a standard series of knife and stick disarms?

If so, would anyone be willing to share? The majority of the disarms in my bag of tricks come from Arnis. I imagine that they are quit similar, however, I would really like to have the original Inosanto Progression.

Thanks

3. johnmarkpainter

johnmarkpainter New Member

They are covered pretty well on Ron Balicki and Rick Tucci videos as I recall.
    Strips, Ejects, Vines, Snakes etc...

Though the best one is a #1 strike to the head :)

jmp

4. Epa

Epa Member

Since I've been training with Guro Dan he hasn't taught a consistent series of disarms. He teaches sets a little bit differently every time in seminars and at the academy. In talking with a student of his from the 70's, I heard that he used to teach in a more structured format so at one time there may have been a "standard" series. The videos mentioned above will not be a comprehensive list of all the disarms, but will give you a lot of stuff to work with.

Instead of thinking about the disarms in terms of a list, I find it easier to group them into categories. Below are the categories I use, but other people might use different terminology/categories.

Vines: Using your weapon as the fulcrum to lever the opponent's weapon out.

Snakes: Using your alive hand (which could be holding a dagger) to wrap the opponent's weapon and lever it out.

Strips: Using on hand/weapon to brace the opponent's weapon arm, while the other pulls the weapon out of the grip.

Impact: Hitting the opponent to make them drop their weapon. This is the easiest to apply and the most efficient.

After you have some disarms for each category, you think about applying them against different weapons (stick, sword, dagger...) with different weapons in your hands (single stick, double stick, stick and dagger...). Some disarms are better suited for certain types of weapons. For example, you wouldn't want to use a snake against a sword because you cwould cut yourself pretty easily. So a strip would be easier to use.

Hope that helps

5. NubreedKaliSilat

NubreedKaliSilat New Member

"Just wondering if Guru Dan teaches, or has he ever taught a standard series of knife and stick disarms"

I have trained with Guro I, through many seminars over the years, his son in law my instructor Ron Balicki. I have learned many disarms throughout the system, and the way Guro I, covers them now is in disarm sectors of 1-6. The way they are set up is example: you would cross sticks in a #1 angle position with your partner, and each section of the crossed sticks is numbered 1-6 as to how you would go about grabbing the wrist from that section of the weapon hand, next you would move to #2 angle with the sticks crossed and there you will find the sectors continue all the way through the 1-12 abcedario.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

This was my understanding too! He exposed you to a lot of possibilities--you got to "absorb what is useful" to you.

I agree. It's about ideas, not specific techniques!

7. Bahad Zubu-Florida

Bahad Zubu-Florida New Member

Guro Dan is teaching a Seminar here in Jacksonville, FL as I write this.. I was able to attend yesterday (Saturday) but was unable to attend todays... Anyway, Guro Dan did some disarms yesterday and like Nubreed had said he (Guro D.) mentions sectoring the disarms (although he showed sectors 1-7 instead of 1-6). He also taught as it a "clock" where you should be able to disarm at any angle going both clockwise and counter-clockwise. For example, if given an angle #1, visualize a clock around your opponents hand and have a disarm for each hour going both clockwise and counterclockwise. Along with the "standard" snake, vine, strips--some balintawak disarms were also included in yesterdays sem.