Does anyone train with a whip?

Discussion in 'General' started by Carol, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Does anyone train with a whip?

This clip has been posted once or twice. It's a piece done in Cebu on Balitok Escrima, featuring GM Abner Pasa as part of the BBC's "Mind, Body, and Kickass Moves" series.

In the clip, GM Pasa mentions training with a whip. The comment was made that it was a rare form of training.

My training partner mentioned to me once that the theory behind a whip cracking is the tip of the whip breaking the sound barrier. That theory made me curious.

Sure enough, it's not just a theory...it has been proven. The speed of a whip is reported on various interent sources as ranging from 1400 - 2300 feet per second. The high end of the range is roughly the velocity of a .22 bullet.

Nasty weapon. Anyone use it?

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

I've known several FMA guys to use the "latigo." Just recently, I attended a testing at my original Doce Pares school. One of the students did a demo with one and then two whips. Down in Richmond, there's a teacher named Steve Woodward who specializes in the whip. He's now with Sayoc Kali.

In both cases, I couldn't tell you definitively where they learned the whip. It may well be that it wasn't learned strictly within an FMA setting. But then, I'm not sure how much that matters.

I think Amante "Mat" Marinas of Pananandata also uses the latigo.

Stuart

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Regarding the physics of the whip, see this thread on MT!

4. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

Yes his art does teach latigo. Spencer Gee was known for his use of latigo & balisong. The latigo was much shorter for use on the horse or carabao.

One of the most impressive players with both short and long whip is Raffy Pambuan. He demonstrates control and even accuracy.

Me personally...not my thing.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

I'm with you. Steve Woodward tried to teach me a bit of it. But I'll take a stick or knife any day.

Stuart

6. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I'd like to try it out, but I don't know anyone in my part of PA that teaches it.

7. James

James Crescent City Eskrima

I train with a whip. It's fun. It doesn't have much practical application specifically, but the attributes it helps you develp make you a better figher: flow, timing, and correct body mechanics.

Doce Pares has a history of the whip through Momoy Canete. The rope whip used in the linked video is much like the one Momoy used to make. Guro Tom Meadows has been developing his Latigo Y Daga System for many years now. I highly recommend his book.

Most people try to use too much muscle with the whip. It is a weapon of skill and finesse. Power should come LATER not earlier, when learning the whip.

8. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Let me see if I can dig up anything for you :)

9. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

I've started playing around with using a whip. I own both Mr. Meadows' book and the excellent two tape series by Anthony De Longis. This last summer I purchased a four foot and eight foot bullwhip. I've since taken the basic Pekiti Tirsia 5 attacks strikes, related footwork (of course...), and mechanics - and started seeing what I could come up with. It's been fun (except when I hit myself....).

-wes tasker

10. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Whip training

It's something I plan to do this summer. I had planned to start practicing last summer, but their was a glitch in my order and I thought that it would have arrived too late to start any outdoor practice. Given the balmy days we've been having here on the east coast I should have gone ahead and reordered it...

The Anthony DeLongis DVD's that Wes mentioned are just superlative and inform perfectly the style of whip training that I'd like to start.

Best,

Steve Lamade

11. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

I'm sure there are other practioners, but I do know that Grandmaster Mat Marinas (east coast, US) learned the whip as a child in PI and incorporates it his family art, Pananandata.

12. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Latigo

As far as I know, GM Marinas uses a latigo in his system. I've seen one of his instructors use it, and it's a frightening weapon. Here's a link for more information if you are interested in getting a latigo:

http://www.northshoreac.com/weapons.htm

Note: wear eye and ear protection if you start playing around with whips of any kind.

I have a friend who may be able to get some of the rope whips that you saw in the Balitok clip with GM Pasa. Please PM me if you are interested. As noted above, these are the same kind of whips that were used by Momoy Cantete in his San Miguel Eskrima; Tom Meadows has a great description of what it was like to train with this weapon with Momoy in Cebu in The Filipino Whip. They function similarly to a leather bullwhip except they are harder to manipulate.

Best,

Steve Lamade

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Me too. I have heard the argument that it improves some mechanics but I'll need to try it to see!

14. hollywood1340

hollywood1340 New Member

Peter Jack has come out with a whip for FMA, find it HERE

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Looks good! Have you tried it?

16. 408kali

408kali New Member

Yes looks painful! I'd like to see "whip vs. sword" :D

17. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Prof. Marinas learned as an adult, through trail and error. He introduced it publicly as an art in 87.

Everyone else in the states who does the horsewhip(not bullwhip) learned it from him, or someone who learned it from him.

18. eric10

eric10 New Member

19. lmanalo

lmanalo New Member

Greetings,
    I was just going to recommend Ama Guro Raffy Pambuan in Florida. I saw a demo of his using a whip & it was excellent.

I also know that the Sayoc organziation teaches the whip. I have also seen their whip curriculum and it is awesome. You can check out the following clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4hjSP3w-1I

Respectfully,
    Leo M.
    Atienza Kali

20. tanod

tanod New Member

friend of mine who use to teach whips at the cirque du soliel, said it is used by cowboys to scare off bulls